Did the Pretenders ever release a remastered anthology-type CD set?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the original 1990 Singles CD, and the hits make for a fairly decent song selection, but after hearing the Audio Fidelity Gold version of their first album it's obvious that it needs to be upgraded and remastered. I would like to see a remastered 2CD set including the singles/hits plus some choice album cuts, such as "Mystery Achievement" and "Tatooed Love Boys" to name a few.

Or should I just go for the box set? :)

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

most likely the boxed set would be the way to go for you and I will be willing to take your copy of "The Singles"

3. I'd agree with brad. The boxed set is the way to go.

4. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

The box set is good, but if it's too much material there's always the "Break Up The Concrete / Greatest Hits" 2-disc set. one disc (Concrete) is their latest album, and the other is the best Hits collection, track selection-wise, that the band has out, so far.

5. stever

stever Senior Member

Are you saying the AF Gold CD of s/t needs to be remastered? There is a Pretenders s/t 2-CD set from five years ago.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is what I was thinking, the Rhino 2 CD set will do until someone else betters it.

7. BradOlson

The AF Gold is what he likes.

8. BradOlson

9. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

10. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Or get a "Target" issue of the debut album.Killer CD.

11. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

12. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

13. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

??? You're saying the AF makes the 1990 SINGLES CD sound bad, and not the other way around???

With all due respect - while the SINGLES disc is very mediocre, nothing to write home about, the Audio Fidelity Pretenders CD sounds like utter doo doo, maybe the most disappointing audiophile release I've ever encountered - both because I love the music so much, and also because usually AF releases such a great product.

Let's just say it bears none of the usual great sound hallmarks of an AF release - something, somehow got messed up, post-mastering I really don't know what, I just know it sounds horrible - compressed, closed in, I can't get through even one full track without having to yank it out of the player. Steve himself basically disowned it ("FUBAR" was the term that sticks in my head) in the firestorm that followed, though I think some of the discussion has since been removed from the Forums. However, you can do Google searches on this to see his comments, as well as other peoples' similar assessments.

Not only is the sound quality poor, but there's also the issue of the missing telephone sound effects in "The Phone Call" on the AF disc. Apparently the English master tape did not have the sound effects on it - they were flown in during creation of the LP master I guess, so that's not AF's "fault" - but why the sound effects couldn't simply be re-created somehow I'm not sure. I'll tell you this: if forced to choose between flying them in digitally (normally something I wouldn't like) or having them absent I'll definitely take the former - the song is called, uh, "The Phone Call" - we're not talking about a few seconds of inconsequential studio noise missing or something. The sound effects are vital/necessary.

The Target CD of PRETENDERS just shreds the Audio Fidelity, as does original vinyl. Shame though about the AF - this is one of the greatest rock recordings of all time and it deserved better treatment.

Anton888 likes this.
  14. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh, great! I bought this not too long ago, based on it being an AF release... and haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.

I wonder what these are going for on eBay...

15. +1.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The Singles has some kind of treble boost, maybe added "air." Not good.

The old, regular Pretenders cd is your best bet and very cheap. It's the same mastering as the Target cd. Easy to spot since the remaster is a double disc set.

17. :hide:I kind of like Bill Inglot's remaster (the second disc was the kicker for me) as well but the original CD sounds quite nice as well-- more dynamic certainly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.