Did Xanadu Destroy ELO's AOR Reputation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lawrev, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I assume you forgot that "I'm Alive" is one of those songs? :D ;)

Seriously, it's a great trio of singles, imo. Kind of makes me wish ELO made a full album out of it.

2. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yes, I think Discovery did the damage for their "rock" or "albums" audience and turned them into a pop band. It was certainly the first album that disappointeed me. I didn't buy Xanadu or see the movie, though I did pick up a couple of the singles (but not the title track). I never liked Time either, which I bought but just thought was silly. They won me back somewhat with Secret Messages

hammer99, STEVIEROL and ibanez_ax like this.
  3. lawrev

lawrev Forum Resident Thread Starter

While Disco - Very started the slide from being an album oriented rock band to a pop oriented band (with shades of ABBA and the Bee Gees thrown in), IMHO Xanadu was the nail in the coffin. It is no coincidence that Disco - Very was the original band's last platinum album in the U.S. (Xanadu went platinum too, but ONJ was a big star in her own right both with music and movies (Grease)). Every album after that sold less.

Without Don't Bring Me Down, how would Discovery have done? Thankfully engineer Mack told Jeff that he needed a rocked out song on that album. That song went to #4 in the U.S. and helped the album go platinum, but it does really stick out among the slicker, disco pop tracks. A successful add - on, I would say.

4. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Not sure what their reputation was before. ELO became one of my favorite bands when I first heard Can't Get It Out Of My Head on the radio back in '74. I've always considered Jeff Lynne to be a pop songwriter. One of the very best in fact.

TonyACT, Jarleboy, WMTC and 3 others like this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I’m stunned anyone remembers Xanadu. It was a flop, unless I’m thinking of some other movie.

6. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

It certainly lost money but it was a very expensive movie. People still saw it. And wished they hadn't. Not the career end that Gene Kelly would have wished for. It probably made that Evel Knieval movie seem like a much better idea in retrospect.

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

No, I always thought I’m Alive was a bit weak. Not as bad as The Fall and Don’t Walk Away, but far from ELO at their best.

Haristar and c-eling like this.
  8. lawrev

Xanadu had a renaissance of sorts with a Broadway musical. Maybe 5-10 years ago?

Jarleboy and Modfather like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

At least he changed it up a bit for Electric Dreams, Let It Run's got more of a bite even if it does give a little 'lyrical' nod to the Eagles.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Modfather

Modfather Forum Resident

Yeah I think there was a one line review of it that went: Xanadon't.

The truth is it made it as a bit of a camp cult film. It got turned into a musical and had a nice dvd release that included the soundtrack.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If anything hurt my love of Jeff Lynne and/or ELO, it was this piece of total crap that followed the "Time" album ...

12. Chris C

Oh ... and this bit of almost forgotten drivel ...

13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Oh Jesus. Yes, there was an Evel Kneivel movie. Forgot about that too.

Northernlight likes this.
  14. lawrev

I had completely forgotten about that song, movie, and video. Wow. Years later Lynne would say that he lost his way during the 1980s....this is Exhibit A.

This is still in the public domain and we can't get a proper release of Beatles Forever? BF is miles better than this abomination of a song.

15. lawrev

I bought the 45 for this song. And promptly threw it out. Yikes.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  16. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Heh, I wonder what the movie did for the career of The Tubes? :cool:

17. Chris C

Only because I'm a fan, I still own the 45 rpm and the 12" of "Doin' That Crazy Thing". If Jeff would have cut out about half of his over-produced ideas in this single and kept it down to the simple interesting groove with that electronic synth bit, it MIGHT have been a worthy song?

Jarleboy, Man at C&A and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I'm on the opposite spectrum on this one, Love the Video 12 inch- instrumental and it's b Sooner or Later.
    BF I thought was pretty cringeworthy, almost embarrassing.
    With a big enough catalog, enough to pretty much please anyone :)

Jarleboy and lawrev like this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Never heard this before. It’s 3 years after the Time album, but it does seem like something Jeff fished out of his ‘songs for Time’ bin.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Northernlight likes this.
  20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

No but Don't Bring Down (Bruuce) did. :D

21. lawrev

At least BF came on the heels of ELO's Lennon Medley during the Time Tour (which is a fantastic medley if we could ever get THAT properly released - I have it on a bootleg, at Koln). Video has no connection to anything remotely important, except that it has a reworked part from BF. :)

c-eling likes this.
  22. Chris C

This one, "Heavy Head ", the flip-side of the Jeff Lynne produced Bev Bevan one-off JET 45rpm release (yes it's Jeff, Bev, Kelly and Richard all playing on this one), is clearly their WORST moment ever ...

I should add that my wife and I love the songs from the campy "XANADU". The movie is over the top silly and the lead actor (also in "The Warriors") was a horrible actor, in my opinion, who offered little to either movie. His acting was just flat.

Modfather likes this.
  23. lawrev

Or would have predated Xanadu or Discovery....

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I know ELO was still selling records and had hit singles, but by 1979 they had kind of stopped being in heavy rotation on the FM rock stations I listened to. I think Out of the Blue was the end of their heavy AOR FM radio run that began with Roll Over Beethoven but really solidified with the Eldorado LP.

O Don Piano, lawrev and c-eling like this.
  25. Chris C

It DID predate BOTH of those by two years of "Disco VERY" and three years of "Xanadu"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.