Did you ever end up owning speakers so heavy and large that you cannot possibly move them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

Yes indeedy the Westminsters are massive! :righton:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

My Apogee Major weight 100 lbs each. I can move them relatively easily with a trick that an audio dealer showed me.
    I do not lift them but rather raise and move one feet at a time.
    Since I own many other pair of speakers too, the Apogee are often going in and out my main listening room.
    It takes approximately 5-10 minutes to move them to my secondary system.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Most super-expensive amps are very large and heavy too, right? People equate size and heft with value, and this includes journalists/critics. My belief is that this is one reason mfrs are making certain parts out of cast iron now.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

My Thiel 3.6s are 107 lbs apiece and have to be rocked slowly into place.

timind likes this.
  5. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I've always avoided purchasing audio equipment that I cannot reasonably move myself. 60-70 lbs is about the limit of what I'll allow into my house.

jonwoody, timind and TheVinylAddict like this.
  6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

To the OP's topic question, no, of course not.

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes. My speakers weigh 236 lbs.
    Peter from the dealership and I spent hours setting up and positioning them for the best sound. No need to move them anymore.

8. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member

One of the reason I chose 2-way stand-mount is the ability to move them easily. There are days I think acoustics/positioning is more important than speakers (in the other days I think that without speaker you REALLY like you can't start building a system!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  9. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

ESS AMT-1e "Monitors" (Ha!). 100 lbs each, I just move them with a hand truck.

10. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I (wisely) had my son-in-law help me the last time I "unstacked" a pair of Koss CM/1030s in my main HT. With clearance between the top speaker and the ceiling being almost nonexistent, you need to lift it maybe 1/4" and then, keeping it level, back it out of its space - and in that case, avoid damaging the nearby ceiling-mounted acoustic panel. It's not super heavy (74lbs), just hard to do by oneself. Putting the stack back together is much tougher - since alignment is very important. There's a sheet of non-slip rubber between the stacks (to protect the finishes) so sliding one speaker relative to the other for positioning is a no-go.

I put all five stacks together myself when I first re-designed the main HT. But that was before the acoustic panels went up etc.

Getting a 155lb SVS subwoofer (in crate) downstairs and into position all by myself was a bit of a challenge as well. (So much so that it was worthy of a story "The 155-Pound Subwoofer" in my book. :) )

Jeff

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Of course! :goodie:

My Magnat Signature 1109 are 42,5kg each. I can move them by using the feet as pivot, but that takes a while...

12. fish

fish Senior Member

Exactly!
    My KEFs are about 120 lbs (55kg) each. I can move them but its not easy.

The Tannoy's are over 300lbs each?!?! WTF?! They have Led weights in them?

13. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

Mine are 230lb each - and yes they are lead lined.

A bit of a pain to move. I can shuffle them a bit, but a hand truck works better.

BrentB likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

LOL. I've always been the same way. It has to be heavier than the average person can move, or I don't even consider it! :)

Then again, reading some of the speakers in this thread, I've never had anything THAT heavy... 130lbs was my max for speakers, and currently 110lbs for my NS-2000's.

Tim 2 and Matt Richardson like this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

In thousands of years, an archaeological dig will uncover your speakers, in the same spot..... they might need a cap refresh on the x-over though.

Tullman likes this.
  16. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

In my amplifier, the transformer by itself is over 100 pounds...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Yes. JBL 4345’s that weigh in at 230 lbs each. They remain on the moving dolly’s that my son and I placed them on just in case I/we need to move them. Which I hope never happens. However, I would never get rid of them. :love:

Don’t ask about what the amps weigh but they will be able to be reused as boat anchors when they pass.

bluesky likes this.
  18. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

My 15" Yamaha Sub Woofer weighs 85 kgs.
    Took me forever to get it upstairs.... one step at a time!
    Fortunately it sounds good where I first put it so it's there to stay... right on top of its deep footprint in the "plush pile" carpet!

19. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Nice !! So Fine!!

I've always wanted a pair of '4300 series' speakers. 4345s would be perfect but the cabs are way too big for my needs now.

But... I'd make room! :agree:

Really Nice.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I had a pair of them. The Altec Lansing A7-500-W's are the commercial A7's with a walnut cabinet and the sectoral horns on the inside.

All of my other A7's have been on wheels.

This is my main pair. Not as heavy as some but heavy enough!

[​IMG]

Vintage, restored, Altec Lansing A7, VOTT's (Voice of the Theater) speakers, with JBL "Baby cheek's", 2404 super tweeters and custom crossovers. Custom crossovers are provided by ALK engineering.

The Yorkville UCS-1 sub on the left is pretty hefty too and it is also on wheels.

And...

This is a pair of custom Klipsch La Scala's.

[​IMG]

They are actually a pair of black commercial models which have custom birch plywood on top of the original cabinets. All components are stock. Photo is from early in 2014.

I slide them around on sheets of cardboard.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  21. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Well, if y'all want to turn this into an Arms Race, I can offer this:

Back in 2006 I agreed to amateur-horn-aficionado-review a pair of of really unorthodox speakers that were a big hit at CES. Got a phone call from a trucking company, "we have 4 crates for you weighing a total of 1450lbs., do you have a loading dock at apartment #4 ?"

Even longer story short, the XLH 1812's, weighing in at nearly 600lbs. apiece, graced my room for several months. I can assure all, nothing extra was added to their 3 ply MDF construction that wasn't necessary to constrain the considerable low frequency information or support those JBL horns and drivers.

The only thing wrong with them was that I had a constant stream of industry professionals calling and some making the trip to hear them after they were so impressed at CES the previous year. There's no question they are the best speakers I've ever heard., especially driven by the KR Audio Kronzilla amplifier lurking behind the U.S. importer.

[​IMG]

BrentB, tyler8, MonkeyMan and 3 others like this.
  22. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Not yet...but soon.

BrentB likes this.
  23. Neil S. Cohen

Neil S. Cohen You Enjoy Myself

Who hasn’t?

24. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I saw this monster yesterday while picking up some gear at Audio Classics; I can't imagine moving it or even having a room big enough to do it justice
    [​IMG]

25. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

My Nautilus fit right in the middle, 48”x17”x44” at 200 pounds. I don’t move them around, some how my cleaning lady did once, she definitely weighs a lot less then them. Ask her not to do that again since I had to have them professionally aligned again.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.