Did You Go To Concerts In The 60s/70s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Just remembered this one: Halloween Night 1969. Josefus, ZZ Top, and Grand Funk Railroad for $2. The venue was the Arena Theater in Houston, which had a rotating stage. None of their respective debut albums had been released. ZZ Top's first single, Salt Link, was released on a local label. As I recall, all three had killer sets. I liked Josefus the best, but bought GFR's first album when it came out shortly thereafter.

Fast forward to a Halloween night in the mid 2000s, and I say Josefus again. The lead singer and I chatted briefly about the '69 concert

tedhead likes this.
  2. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

awesome isnt it ! :) hard to believe thats stuffy old England lol
    Thats the first glastonbury - still going strong 48 yrs on !

Jonny W likes this.
  3. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Started going mid/late 70's and saw a bunch of bands at their prime, at least in my opinion :)

Cheap Trick--supporting tour for In Color
    Styx---supporting tour for Grand Illusion\
    Rush...supporting tour for Hemispheres
    Police---lst US tour in support of their lst release
    New England...support of the first release

ahh, those were the days of $6 tics.....

davers likes this.
  4. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Yep, I read it here on SHMF. Can't remember the thread.

5. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

That's a good point. I haven't been to a Jethro Tull show since around 2005, but they were getting so tangled up in pseudo jazzy arrangements, that it just became boring.

6. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Yes, First was in 1965.

7. I Feel Free

I Feel Free Forum Renegade

I saw Cream in '67 at Brandeis University. Tickets were 5$. There were maybe a couple hundred people there. (It must have been before the band "caught on" in the States.) The band didn't even play on a stage -- they were set up on a gymnasium floor. I stood less than 20 feet away from Clapton watching him play. Best concert of my life.

8. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

That show was captured on tape and is a frequently traded bootleg. It was a smokin' performance! I envy you.

9. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Was too young for 1970s, but came close as I saw my first show in 1983. The culture was pretty similar at that point, I think, to the late 70s.

Things I find different to now:

- Waiting for tickets overnight, and people in the front of the line would get very nice seats.
    - Scalping was illegal. No ticket brokers, at least in Mass. Any scalping was done by a shady dude in front of the venue.
    - Tickets throughout the venue were mostly priced the same - maybe 2 dollars cheaper for the loges. No insanely priced platinum seats and such.
    - Sound quality in many venues was very distorted, muddy, and too loud. A good sounding band (like Genesis or Grateful Dead) really stood out.
    - Firecrackers were often set off during concerts.
    - More dangerous atmosphere at some rock shows. A Who or Jethro Tull concert, for example, brought out some truly unsavory characters.
    - People would stand on the folding chairs on the floor.
    - Less security inside, fewer ushers.
    - On the other hand, there were VERY aggressive "pat-downs" coming in as they looked for tape recorders, and I guess weapons/drugs, I don't know. They would cover every inch of you.
    - Way more smoking (of everything.) At set break, you'd see a massive, thick cloud hanging over the arena.
    - More open drug use. At my first show (Peter Gabriel) the people behind me had a sheet of tin foil and were snorting coke off of it.
    - Obviously the lighters for encores as opposed to the cell phones.
    - Wearing your t-shirt to school the next day was a way to show you were there. I guess it's not much different than posting a selfie.
    - Rock wasn't nostalgia yet. It was still current music.
    - Concessions, if there were any, were your basic hot dogs, soda, and maybe beer. As opposed to today's fairly elaborate food and drinks.
    - It was harder to find out about shows. You would look in rock magazines like Rolling Stone, hear ads on the radio, or see the list of upcoming shows at your local Ticketmaster. Lots of word of mouth.
    - More local shows in smaller towns as opposed to, today, bands only hitting major cities and expecting people to travel.

I'll add that when I moved to Southern California, the vibe at concerts was way more relaxed compared to East Coast.

Hot Ptah and WilliamWes like this.
  10. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Great summary. Let me ask. When I first started going to concerts I could have sworn fans would cheer and applaud at the end of the song. Now, they applaud in anticipation for the end and each song ends as the applause is already happening. Sometimes you can't hear the applause if its a big loud ending and then there's just a few seconds of leftover applause you hear after. Did they applaud after or during the final notes?

11. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

A few people have mentioned fire crackers let off at concerts. I can't remember it ever happening. I suppose it could have and I just don't remember.

I have no clue how I found out about concerts back in the day. Esp. the small venue ones. ?????

12. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident

I don't remember seeing anyone lighting off firecrackers at any concert I went to. If it did ever happen, whoever was responsible would have gotten absolutely pummelled by the people around him/her/them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I was 10 years old in 1977, I used to call the local arena 1-2 times a week to ask if Wings or Kiss would play there soon. This is before they had automated recording lines, so I always got an operator.

Eventually she said yes to Kiss! Wings/Macca played that venue in 1976 but never again - Macca did stadiums when he next came back to DC in 1990 and by the time he did arenas again in 2002, the Cap Centre was toast!

Other than pestering local arenas, I remember some radio stations had "hotlines" in the early 80s that told us of new shows.

Otherwise, you just had to listen to the radio to hear notifications or see ads in the newspaper!

davers and Lightworker like this.
  14. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Radio, postings at record stores, the Calendar section of the L.A. Times, a few "underground" newspapers, word of mouth.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Probably well over a hundred in the 60s and 70s...I probably saw Doug Sahm alone (and with different bands) play more than thirty times back then.
    Everybody else Tanya Tucker to Bubble Puppy and Albert King to The Sex Pistols. What a great time to be alive and in the right places @ the right times.

wrappedinsky and Waspinators like this.
  16. Waspinators

Waspinators Forum Resident

Nice. Any recollections of seeing Bubby Puppy live?

SmellTheHorse likes this.
  17. Lightworker

Sadly you missed the "golden age" of the Alexandria Roller Rink. Saw Tull, Yes, (Ozzie-era) Black Sabbath, The original Alice Cooper group (twice),
    Yes, Humble Pie, Mitch Ryder, King Crimson etc. etc. Missed out on The Doors and T-Rex but I tried to get down there whenever I could...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    SandAndGlass and Daryl M like this.
  18. Lightworker

Dave Fore was a good buddy, and I worked with a woman who was in L-O-V-E with Rod Prince.
    When they got back together in the late 70s (with a new bass player), they still played all of their
    International Artisits material like it was 1969 all over again. Still a powerhouse group even then.

Waspinators likes this.
  19. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Ahh the good old 70’s! What a great time when seeing the icons of rock was still a huge deal!

My first two concerts were Three Dog Night and the Carpenters in 1971 in Albuquerque. I saw all my heroes in that decade.
    Stones
    Who
    Zeppelin
    Elton
    And many, many others. Don’t ever remember anyone throwing firecrackers or bottles at the stage.

20. Oatsdad

Given I don't actually like any of those bands, I'm not sad at all I missed that "golden age"! :D

Lightworker likes this.
  21. Lightworker

Wow. That's a pretty broad range of styles and performers not to "like"! I don't particularly "like" Bruce Springsteen, but I saw him do a dynamite show back in '74.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I saw Blue Oyster Cult in 1973 at Wollman skating rink in Central Park and people were lobbing cherry bombs around. A year or two later at Nassau Coliseum a fire got started in the middle of the orchestra section.

Lightworker likes this.
  23. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

First concert: Elton John - August 16, 1976 @ MSG in NYC, ticket price $9.50 ( lived in CT )
    Last concert: Elton John - March 12, 2019 @ PNC Arena in Raleigh, ticket price $230 ( now live in NC )

Sound is way better these days. Video screens so you can see up close when you are not. Performance quality is better in my opinion since we see mostly rock veterans who now realize this is their job and they have to do it well to continue to be a draw.

People talk way more now than I remember back in the 70s. It's very annoying, did you pay good money to come and socialize with your friends? Sometimes the conversations can be very loud and distracting.

SmellTheHorse and Hot Ptah like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Actually seems like a fairly narrow range to me! :shrug:

Just not artists who ever did anything for me. There are many 70s concerts I wish I could've attended, but those artists weren't among those!

Lightworker likes this.
  25. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

Great thread.

One of the biggest changes from my perspective is that there seems to be very little spontaneity these days as everything has to be coordinated with the light show/computers/screens etc. It's a show not a concert. Gone are the days of showing off serious instrument virtuosity for interminable minutes - I remember my friend leaving to take a dump at the Manchester Apollo when Tony Iommi started his guitar solo and he was still playing when he returned some 20 minutes later!

SandAndGlass and Hot Ptah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.