Did you see Beatles "Away With Words"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jacksondownunda, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Chicago

Chicago New Member

I saw the show sometime between 1976 and 78 in a ballroom at Southern Illinois University. It was the first time I had seen a computer controlled multi media presentation, certainly on the scale of this production with multiple projectors, "floating" screens and 360 degree sound. I recall the sound and image quality to be excellent for the mid-70s. Perhaps it was the size of the venue. Because it was an immersive experience with multiple projectors and screens, with images moving freely about the multiple screens, it would be impossible to convert to video, although it would be interesting to add context to this discussion, for those who never saw it and don't totally "get" what it was. As a college undergraduate, Away With Words was a milestone event in my transformation from common Beatles fan to avid Beatles fan. In addition to the stunning visual and audio (to me, YMMV), I felt it was exceptionally well written and it sent me on a research journey almost immediately to fill in the blanks of my Beatle knowledge. I may have even taken notes! Shortly thereafter, I was a fixture in the periodicals section of the university library, poring over magazines like Rolling Stone, Time and Newsweek, in search of contemporary accounts of the Beatles before during and after their work together.

To say I enjoyed Away With Words is an understatement. Alas, times have changed and the technology that ran productions like this is probably still around gathering dust in closets, but never used much anymore--if at all. Slide projectors synced by computers? Ah, those were fun times...I mean really fun.

2. Firebelly

Firebelly New Member

This is Steve Firestone aka Firebelly. Is this Gary aka GutBomb?

3. Firebelly

Firebelly New Member

This is one of the 2 guys that ran the show, I am Steve "Firebelly". I have been trying to say hello to Howard, Chris, Dennis, and Lowell Fowler (Blackstone AV, where I later worked after AWW). I have been working in Alaska and lost touch!
    Please contact me. Thank you, Steve

Steve Litos and paulisdead like this.
  4. Firebelly

Firebelly New Member

I have tons of pictures of Dennis D, Howard, Chris, PA Dave, Gary and some of the girls that traveled with us from the 1972 Paramount Theater shows in Portland Ore. thru the end... I thought? I did the show again (for Howard) in Canada in 1975. I thought that was the end. I know we had planned going overseas, but I was not with the show after '75.
    I have been trying to get in touch with any of the guys.
    Steve 'Firebelly' Firestone.

paulisdead likes this.
  5. Firebelly

Firebelly New Member

I was one of the original technicians on the show. Here are a few old pics...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8-qQyQfIr1YemxvSng4SjhXZ1E

paulisdead and forthlin like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would love to be able to see this today.

7. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

altaeria likes this.
  8. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

9. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yes, it may have been sort of novel back in the day, but now when you can watch actual Beatle footage in your own home, it wouldn't make much of an impression.

altaeria likes this.
  10. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I posted on here a while back about this, but I was a lot less active.

My uncle, Howard Ragland, is one of the main creators of this project. Funnily enough, I am a huge Beatles fan. I’m going off to lunch today with him. I’m going to bring this topic up to talk to him about it since it is so intriguing.

If there are any questions, I would be glad to ask him.

altaeria and paulisdead like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That's very interesting. Can you ask him if he owns the camera negatives (or whatever the original elements are)?

12. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Absolutely. I’m interested to know as well. I’ll get back to you after lunch.

paulisdead likes this.
  13. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Okay so I talked to him about it and he didn’t really have too much info. He’s done a lot in his past so he talked about a lot (he was the main manager for the Sparkles and apparently Roy Orbison signed a contract in his living room... how cool is that!)

But yeah, no negatives or anything (stolen he said I think).

He told me he’s been a millionaire twice in his life and lost it all both times. He hasn’t had the greatest luck in the world but damn has his life been interesting!

Sorry for the disappointment but at least this brings this discussion to a close I guess.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

phillyal1 and EddieMann like this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Well, I saw that presentation back in the day, and it wasn't pretty either (IIRC).

dewey02 likes this.
  17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I'm sure the folks here on SHF that had a role in producing this have some pride in it.
    It was impressive at the time. I remember all those slide carousels stacked up and being run by a computer. I was impressed...until the show began. I'm sorry to say that I was hugely disappointed in the presentation.

altaeria and EddieMann like this.
  18. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I saw this about 1972 and it left no lasting impression whatsoever. I hadn't thought ofit since until somebody brought it up today.

19. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I saw this as a kid at the Auditorium Theater too.
    It was just ok.

I do remember strobe lights going off for the intro to Revolution! And it was loud.

altaeria, paulisdead and EddieMann like this.
  20. Suzanne -Williams

Suzanne -Williams New Member

I saw this I think in 1977 in Hobart Tasmania. I still have one of the flyers that were posted around town promoting it.
    It was a one of kind of screening. I cant remember much about it. But I know I loved it because it was The Beatles :)

paulisdead likes this.
  21. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Pgh, PA. Show at The Syria Mosque .. Original 1972-73 Promo Flier
    Like new cond.. I recall it was interesting , as it was the first real Beatles' multi-media type
    presentation that I can recall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    altaeria and oboogie like this.
  22. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Oh wow! The illustration makes the Beatles look like David Cronenberg's nightmare :hurl:

But thanks for sharing, now we have an idea of the show's original structure.

23. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

@Maranatha5585 - could you please repost that image with the running order of the show? The image has died.

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I also saw that film but in 1981 in my High School theater and I was blown away. It contained various footage both live and interview clips. I also remember the McCartney interview in which he admits having tried acid. I was also touched by the clip for Mrs. Lennon because I thought the song was beautiful (still do actually). Three years later I was allowed to stay up late so I could record Let It Be which was being showed at midnight on CFCF-12. The copy they showed was in terrible condition, but I didn't care. They had previously showed Yellow Submarine around the same time, but I missed it.

In the end, I think that we were all just looking to experience the Beatles' magic in a visual way. I'm sure had I seen the Away With Words presentation I would have enjoyed it warts, farts & all.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their memories of it. It's refreshing to read a Beatles themed thread which is this friendly and positive. :)

altaeria and blutiga like this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what's the easiest way to see this?