Different Vocal From the Original Record That Is Better (Vocally)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Regarding the different vocals of "Where Were You When I Needed You"…

You seem to indicate that, quite apart from the Rob Grill re-recording, there are indeed two early versions of this song — one with a P.F. Sloan vocal, and one with a Bill Fulton vocal.

On what releases can each distinct version be found?

2. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...For the Grass Roots, IIRC, the pre-Rob Grill album and single versions of " Where Were You When..." were different, I think some version of a CD of the entire pre-Grill line-up's catalog has still a third version.
    Regarding Der Bingle's "White Christmas ", when I discovered the 1942 original, I decided it was better - the 1947 version is, in evitably, rather a triumphal parade - the 1942 version, too, reflects the uncertainty of coming out during Dub Dub and the fact that so many people were away from home - some to be killed or greatly injured:cry:.

3. normanbterrier

normanbterrier Forum Resident

O Positive re-recorded the vocals for "Tied" when they combined the Only Breathing and Cloud Factory EPs for release on CD a couple of years later in the 80's.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Great question. Because "Fakin' It" was originally a stand-alone single, it was only mixed to mono at the time. Presumably, the stereo mix wasn't made until it was decided to include the song on the Bookends album. "At the Zoo" and "A Hazy Shade of Winter" also differ from the mono singles in their stereo mixes.

As best as I remember, "Fakin' It" is the only mono Simon & Garfunkel mono single mix to be issued on CD.

BrentB likes this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have no idea. I don't think I implied there were three versions, only that there were the Rob Grill and one previous one, possibly more. Other posters have filled in the names.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Some say Karen's re-sing on "Merry Christmas, Darling" was an improvement on the Carpenter's hit.

For me, it's just a reminder when she sings the wrong notes, that radio stations don't care how more authentic the original feels. The notion that everybody moved heaven and earth to replace what was for most people a subtle difference, just to irritate the original fans that do notice, is just unneccessarily callous.

7. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Help! stereo over mono.

8. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Florence + The Machine “You’ve Got The Love (Single Version)” has a completely different vocal compared to the album version. There are actually 3 versions of the song: The first version was released as the B-side of the “Dog Days Are Over” single. The second version (released on the Lungs album) has the same vocal as the first version, but the music is a different mix. The third version (single/video version) has the same music mix as the second version, but the vocal is a completely redone new vocal.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  9. there were th
    [​IMG] get the Rev-ola version of this and you will get all three versions

10. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

The Cure- Boys Don't Cry (new vocal club mix):

11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for this information.

According to Wikipedia's entry on this album, "In 2005, an English CD reissue on Rev-Ola Records included all of the previous tracks plus two more bonus tracks. They were the second and third vocal versions of 'Where Were You When I Needed You' sung by Fulton first and then by the most famous Grass Roots lead singer Rob Grill."

I'm not at all interested in the Rob Grill-sung version of this song, which is commonly available (and IMHO, inferior). So if the above is correct, then there is still not a released version of the song "Where Were You When I Needed You" sung by P.F. Sloan — right?

12. from what i understand the first version is sloans

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I had no idea - thanks for that info! Love O-Positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.