Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Differing perceptions re: record condition - a new philosophical take

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by adhoc, Jan 1, 2021.

1. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo Thread Starter

Long story short:

- Purchased a record described as "mint" for both sleeve and record.
    - Seller has opened the album and shipped records outside the outer sleeve as requested to avoid seam splits.
    - The sleeve has a small seam split on the bottom edge - photo below.
    - Seller contacted re: this discrepancy, I indicate in my initial contact that I am amenable to a partial refund.

[​IMG]

This was his response:

It’s likely by the picture that this crease was formed when the record was originally stored inside. It has the makings of the beginnings of a seam split, doesn’t it?
    If this is a replica set of atoms to the copy in my photograph then it represents a deviation hitherto to me unconscious of, prior to this communication, owing to neglect of the bottom sleeve. (“Who checks the bottom sleeve?” Is the position I’m taking. A light fracture. A skeletal recognition of the pulp beneath the art).

You asked for my suggestion on a plan of action. I suggest that you approach me with a convincing valuation of the financial reparation that you seek.

To me. Insignificant. You jest. I play along and say, sincerely, 0.2% of the record’s value is lost in that crease.
    The number is neither here nor there. It falls within a symbolic field we might mark as trivial were we to assign qualifications to our valuations. Which I just did.

I lived in Japan for seven years Aaron My sense of aesthetics were vastly improved by a newfound appreciation for imperfection.

One man’s crease is another man’s historical reference.

I’d like to hear your take on this mate? I find these kind of conversations fascinating.

This was a new one to me. On one hand one part of me says "described as X, purchased on basis of description, does not match description, case closed", on the other hand I think he has a point, albeit a somewhat nebulous/fluffy one.

What does everyone else think?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Philosophy is fine but business is business.

giantleech likes this.
  3. DM333

DM333 Well-Known Member

If someone sent me a pretentious message like that I would not be happy. You ordered a mint record, it came damaged and is not mint so you are owed a refund or partial refund.

giantleech likes this.
  4. biodawg

biodawg Well-Known Member

I agree. Would not want to do business with this person. If I'm buying mint then it better be perfect. If you only sent 80% of the agreed upon price, would he be upset? One man's lowball is another man's fortune.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That’s funny. Sounds like he could be a forum member :)

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So return it and get your money back.