Differing perceptions re: record condition - a new philosophical take

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by adhoc, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adhoc

adhoc Gentlemen Prefer Stereo Thread Starter

Long story short:

- Purchased a record described as "mint" for both sleeve and record.
    - Seller has opened the album and shipped records outside the outer sleeve as requested to avoid seam splits.
    - The sleeve has a small seam split on the bottom edge - photo below.
    - Seller contacted re: this discrepancy, I indicate in my initial contact that I am amenable to a partial refund.

[​IMG]

This was his response:

It’s likely by the picture that this crease was formed when the record was originally stored inside. It has the makings of the beginnings of a seam split, doesn’t it?
    If this is a replica set of atoms to the copy in my photograph then it represents a deviation hitherto to me unconscious of, prior to this communication, owing to neglect of the bottom sleeve. (“Who checks the bottom sleeve?” Is the position I’m taking. A light fracture. A skeletal recognition of the pulp beneath the art).

You asked for my suggestion on a plan of action. I suggest that you approach me with a convincing valuation of the financial reparation that you seek.

To me. Insignificant. You jest. I play along and say, sincerely, 0.2% of the record’s value is lost in that crease.
    The number is neither here nor there. It falls within a symbolic field we might mark as trivial were we to assign qualifications to our valuations. Which I just did.

I lived in Japan for seven years Aaron My sense of aesthetics were vastly improved by a newfound appreciation for imperfection.

One man’s crease is another man’s historical reference.

I’d like to hear your take on this mate? I find these kind of conversations fascinating.

This was a new one to me. On one hand one part of me says "described as X, purchased on basis of description, does not match description, case closed", on the other hand I think he has a point, albeit a somewhat nebulous/fluffy one.

What does everyone else think?

2. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Philosophy is fine but business is business.

giantleech likes this.
  3. DM333

DM333 Forum Resident

If someone sent me a pretentious message like that I would not be happy. You ordered a mint record, it came damaged and is not mint so you are owed a refund or partial refund.

giantleech likes this.
  4. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

I agree. Would not want to do business with this person. If I'm buying mint then it better be perfect. If you only sent 80% of the agreed upon price, would he be upset? One man's lowball is another man's fortune.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That’s funny. Sounds like he could be a forum member :)

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

So return it and get your money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.