DCC Archive Digital clicks on Tommy remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Does anyone know w/ happened here? It's espically bad on See Me, Feel Me.

Chris

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It would be nice to know - a fly in the ointment.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The story I've heard is that somehow Jon Astley inadvertently added the clicks to the digital master prepared by Bob Ludwig. I don't know the exact details, though.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I guess:

a) the clicks were not on the multitrack.
    b) the clicks were not on the new mixdown tape
    c) the clicks were on the tape given to Bob Ludwig (he did not introduce them)

5. Chris M

Weird. I can't beleive that made it past quality control. Luke, in your opinion is the Polydor Quadrophenia remix any better/different than the MCA version?

Chris

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Bob Ludwig told me the clicks were on the tape he got. He made a note of them, but was not instructed to remove them.

I heard the Polydor Quad once long ago. At the time I didn't feel it was *that* different, and didn't like it as much as the MCA. That was a LONG time ago, though. I need to listen again.

Some say the Japanese pressing is the best.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

When it comes to the remastered Who CDs, there really is no "quality control." Jon Astley really does deserve the awful reputation he has.

8. Chris M

Agreed, but i think Astley only *remastered* Odds and Sods, the BBC sessions, and the Deluxe Live at Leeds set. He produced the other reissues but didn't actually remaster them. I'm sure Luke knows more about this! Bob Ludwig mastered the Tommy remix, Tim Young mastered the '95 Leeds remix, the Quad remix was mastered by George Jones and Bob Ludwig and Andy Macpherson mastered the rest (I think.) IMO the *mastering* of the Tommy remix, '95 Leeds remix and Sell Out remix isn't that bad. One may not like the *remixing* but I don't think the mastering is too bad. Of course, the ones Astley mastered himself (Odds and Sods, 2CD Leeds and BBC sessions) are CRAP. A Quick one was a big dissapointment too. I mean they used FAKE stereo for Whisky Man???? What Bastards :mad:

Chris

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This is true, but as "reissue producer" he was directly responsible for the lack of quality control on all the reissues. The frequent use of incorrect tapes, the digital clicks on Tommy, the omission of the Ready Steady Who version of "Circles" from the Quick One reissue... these are all Astley mistakes.

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Agreed! Not to mention the incorrect version of Young Man Blues, the omitted lead guitar on Under My Thumb on Odds & Sods. He's like the anti-Steve. Steve does his research, Jon sloppily grabs wrong tapes! :(

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Brian O'Marra ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.