Digital convenience in one box. Is there a respectable "jack of all trades" for <$3k?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aunitedlemon, Dec 3, 2022.

1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Moon may be a bit more spendy than some others but I can vouch for its excellence both in the DAC department and the streamer department. It is worth recalling that in a separate box the streamer unit in its own retails at $2,400.

Cannot vouch for any of the others.

The UI is excellent and getting better with updates, works with network NAS etc. Cannot comment on HDD, SSD, etc as I have simply never tried it.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  2. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Do you need or prefer to connect via Wi-Fi, or can you do a wired connection?

3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith. Thread Starter

I have both options but intend to use a dedicated ethernet connection.

Harris11235 likes this.
  4. aunitedlemon

I'm rather convinced that any of the options on my radar are going to impress my ears and offer a much more satisfying experience than my current digital rig is offering.
    Thanks for offering your support of the Moon unit. It seems to be the most appealing solution at the moment.

MGW likes this.
  5. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

I am in the same position as you are - I have a Node and I want to move up a level or two. I have decided that I will be buying either a used Linn Akurate DSM/3 or a Linn Selekt DSM. These are streamer/preamps that have an excellent DAC built in, as well as a good MC stage for my TT.

The release of Linn's new Selekt Edition (fancier milled case) and new DAC have occasioned a fair number of trade ins of Akurate DSMs and some Selekt (non Edition) DSMs. I am biding my time, hoping for something around $3K

Harris11235 and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

What does an upgraded streamer offer? I get the value of the DAC, but if you stream from your providers app - in my case tidal - not sure that moving up from my Bluesound would offer anything? Again, get that that the BS may have a substandard DAC, that can be solved by using an external one, but not sure I understand the streamer value prop above some of the more basic units.

What am I missing?

7. aunitedlemon

In my case, a nicer streamer will successfully integrate my locally stored files and access to streaming services (Qobuz, Tidal, internet radio) all into one slick, easy to use, attractive interface. Having the streamer and dac in one box is primarily for aesthetic purposes (less boxes, power cords, interconnects).

8. Frazeur1

Frazeur1 Forum Resident

Lindemann Music Book Source II. With or without a CD drive, can be had for around 3.5-4K new, a bit over budget, but.... Streaming, IRadio etc. It also offers a nice MM phono stage as well. The built-in App. may be kind of basic/simple, but just works, no fuss. Can be setup Wired or WLAN.

Small, well built, and sounds great. I have heard it, do not own one, but was quite pleased with it. I own a couple of the cheaper Lindemann Limetree pieces, the Phono 2 and Bridge 2, and they are really good sounding gear. Just another one to throw in the mix, FWIW!

PS-Crux Audio in Oregon is the US distributor I believe.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    aunitedlemon likes this.
  9. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

I don't know why, but a better streamer sounds better. I suspect we still have a lot to learn about streaming, how to handle digital signals and what makes it good.

Harris11235 and TarnishedEars like this.
  10. aunitedlemon

I spent a few minutes reading the 280D manual and it appears that it does not support file access from an external drive. Their Mind 2 allows access to external media via a UPnP server but that's what I'm trying to get away from.
    Snap.

11. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

What makes a streamer better, other then price?

12. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Mind 2 is built into the 280D.
    The HDD/SDD issue is why I raised it as I have never even thought about doing that and cannot see how that would work other than through some sort of additional software via a NAS or PC etc.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  13. aunitedlemon

Thanks for pointing out the SSD compatibility question. Unfortunately that's a dealbreaker for my needs. I'll let Bluetooth connectivity fall off my want list but not integrated local file access.
    Looks like the Lumin D2 might be the ticket unless I want to spend 2x more on the Cary.

14. Hanks3

Hanks3 Forum Resident

Marantz. It's tough to equal their economies of scale at price points under $5k.

15. aunitedlemon

What I'm willing to pay for in a "better" streamer is the software and features. I agree that the streamer is predominantly a basic conduit for the digital info and that the DAC is where the musicality is.
    My experience in the matter is far from vast, however.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

That’s fair, good luck in the search!

aunitedlemon likes this.
  17. aunitedlemon

I'll check out their lineup again.

18. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I would never knock Moon - I'm a fan - and I almost bought a 280 myself.
    Eventually the Auralic proved to offer a more true all-in-one solution if internal storage - or at least the option of it - was desired. Meaning if fewer wires and boxes was your goal...

I've also seen one or two reviews that say the Moon's UI isn't quite as good to use as some others. They all seem to have a quirk or two in this regard, but I have found Auralic's Lightning DS to be super slick overall.
    Granted it does require add-on's like BubbleUPnP to make it go on android devices (buy an iPad already, they're just better :winkgrin:) but as I understand it, once linked you do the rest of your control within Lightning DS - which as I said is pretty good.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  19. Hanks3

Hanks3 Forum Resident

Don't be shy about their AVR's either(better choice) Yes, you will only use two channels, possibly four, but you also have a large power supply, much bigger than any 2 channel only rig.

SR7015

20. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

I guess heavier, non-resonant casing... higher grade, quieter power supplies and if they do house an internal DAC (as many do) that will likely be of a higher grade or better implemented too?
    I'm a defender of budget audio gear btw - I happen to think many modestly priced options are the beneficiaries of a generally "rising tide" in the quality of audio in the last decade or so. But all of the hardware based improvements as you pay more do have a role to play.
    I had a BlueSound Node myself which is an absolute bargain for what it is, but the overall ownership experience of something more substantial has it's merits, including a small but worthwhile step up in sound quality.

Harris11235 and aunitedlemon like this.
  21. aunitedlemon

To clarify, I don't need amplification. I'm looking for a streamer/dac combo that I'll plug into my existing amp. I'll still check out the Marantz network streamers again.

22. Hanks3

Hanks3 Forum Resident

Sorry, mis read.

23. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Will you be listening to local files, or only to internet radio and online music services (e.g. Spotify, Tidal)?

EDIT: Sorry, went back and read your original post. Have you considered keeping your current gear and switching over to LMS? What you have is pretty competent and LMS has a great UI for browser/tablet/phone when you install the "Material Skin" and "Music and Artist Information" plugins.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  24. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Yup, I’m with you. Love ultra high end and the innovation that comes with it because of the trickle down. I covet some of the higher end streams for the aesthetics, would love to have a screen that displays the artist for instance. The heart wants what it wants.

25. aunitedlemon

I did try to set up LMS, but failed. I attempted to set up my Pi streamer w/ PiCorePlayer, partitioned and reformatted my SSD, registered for a squeezebox account, and never wound up w/ anything functional from those efforts. Moode is the Pi OS I've been able to successfully set up as a DLNA and UPnP renderer and is what I'm using now.
    Perhaps I took a convoluted or ass-backwards approach to LMS?
    Truth be told I'm pretty over the Pi streamer, not because of sound quality, but because of a less than wonderful UI trying to capitalize on Qobuz and local files in one app. As I've mentioned, it's working, but it could be a lot smoother. At the very least I've known I'll be getting a nicer DAC, but have decided that since I'd also appreciate a more intuitive streaming platform, I may as well consolidate and get an all-in-one streamer/dac.

timind and Toneh like this.