Digital Motown recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 120dB, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any legit compilations of odd
    early Motown and Gordy material? Not the big hits,
    but things that charted regionally. I know that there
    are bootlegs out there, but I'm trying to locate
    clean/master-derived versions of songs like
    Liz Lands "Midnight Johnny" and Eddie Holland's
    "Leaving Here" and "If Cleopatra Took A Chance".
    I've lost track of all the CD releases, but it seems
    to me that their catalog could be mined a lot deeper
    that it has been so far...

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

On the "Year by Year" series, which they discontinued, they would insert the occasional less well known track or rarity on with the familar hits. The 1964 installment, for instance has both Midnight Johnny and Leaving Here. A European label released a "Complete Eddie Holland" CD which included all of his one album and handful of singles on one disc.

Regards,

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Worth checking any CD website you can find to locate those YEAR BY YEAR comps. A few are still floating around, and were also pressed overseas, so remember to check import sites, too. Surprising how quickly those left the shelves....

ED:cool:

4. Mike

Mike New Member

I just bought a complete set a few months ago and I found them at Walmart.com, Towerrecords.com, Bestbuy.com & Entertainme.com (Canadian).

I just checked Walmart and they have 64, 66, 68, 73, 75 & 82 for 13.88 each. The ones I found at Tower were only 7.99 so check there first. :)

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A Cellarful of Motown has a lot of non-hits...

6. Ken_McAlinden

The only reason I did not mention Cellarful was because all but one track on it consists of stuff that was never released on legit vinyl or CD before, rather than obscure stuff that was actually released back in the day. It is definitely a nice collection of 60s vault material, though, as are some of the releases in the "Lost and Found" series.

Regards,

7. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Motown thanks

Thanks everybody. Just ordered some "Years by Year"
    volumes from BestBuy.com...

8. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Is 'everyone' happy with the sonics' of these selections.

9. Ken_McAlinden

I haven't listened to any of the year by years in a while. IIRC, the sound was pretty good (as were most circa 1994-1995 Motown releases). There were some cases where they used stereo album versions when they said they were singles masters and stuff like that, but I don't recall them having that loud and compressed sound that creeped into the Motown releases a couple of years later. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Regards,

10. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Check out Amazon.co.uk for the Soul Satisfaction series (there should be 3 or 4 installments) from Motown UK. "Soul Satisfaction 3: Motown Delights -Soft Centered Soul" contains Liz Lands' Midnight Johnny. Just came out last year. These contain lots of B-sides and minor hits. Most are MONO versions. They sound great.

BTW, on that particular CD, SS3, is a bonus for Supremes fans: the mono full-length version of "You've Been So Wonderful To Me". The CD label won't mention this, but there's an extra verse in the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.