Digital Production vs Reel to Reel!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HDOM, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

People profess how SNR is supreme all being in the digital world it must be dead black quiet difference, yet you are fine with not having some tone/freq/music in a digital recording??
    I want all of it.......1Hz to 100,000Hz..why not? If it adds to the entire experience of listening to music I want it there. I may not hear it but my mind, body and soul can/might feel it and I am missing nothing.

Digital as you know is restricted by design on freq.

2. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I have seen consumer mics with inbuilt AD conversion. They are not used professionally however.

2xUeL likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, when they "rolled it" in the studio, - and did it in "one take" - THAT'S "Art".

4. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i belive in the near future some sound recording going to be superior of what now is analog and digital;

maybe magnetic or develop from the ufo science of electromagnetic field

:winkgrin:

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

In an ideal world, all amplifiers, speakers, phono-cartridges, etc should sound identical too. But such is not the way that the world works...

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Holographic data storage is next. A one inch cube that holds the Library Of Congress. They already have it.

arisinwind likes this.
  7. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

can the microphone i said before Neumann D-01 use professionally in the studio? i belive something great must came out off it, is a $7,999.95 microphone

"Optimal A/D conversion, especially developed synchronization technology and the capability of controlling standard microphone parameters and various integrated signal processing functions remotely ensure that Solution-D meets the most demanding professional audio production requirements."

8. Tell that to all the bands and musicians that did their mix down masters on DAT tape.

Randoms and McLover like this.
  9. I think that if in the late 1980's early 1990's some consumer electronics brands got cassette tape decks that using consumer grade metal tapes got up to 20 Khz, and I'm talking about tape decks and metal cassette tapes one could bought on a Hi Fi or electronics shop, then professional analog R2R tape recorders may got to record even higher frequecies.

10. When you talk about digital you all really mean PCM, change PCM for double or quad rate DSD (DSD128, DSD256 or even DSD512) and I think the results would be interesting.

11. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

And yet you keep coming back for more........ :D

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You’re not going to believe this...reel-to-reels use magnetism.

Grant likes this.
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

2xUeL and head_unit like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Umm...:confused:...is that some sort of a Wu-Tang reference?

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I think the question is incorrect. I understand why you ask it, however, either technology can make wonderful recordings (The Doobie Brothers The Captain And Me on tape is a favorite ever of mine, and at an audio show we heard an absolutely stunning reel to reel of "Rapper's Delight"; on the digital side Donald Fagen's The Nightfly was recorded in early digital and George Benson's Give Me The Night on a 50 kHz machine IIRC-they sound great and are not even state of the art digital). Conversely, either technology can produce dog vomit.

The late great John Eargle once told me he felt that high resolution PCM could very accurately capture what he was recording, so that's a pretty big vote for digital. But Elliot Scheiner stated he always backs up to Dolby A reel-to-reel as his ultimate format.

We all have different eyesight, nobody disputes that. We also all have different hearing, which people (especially on audio forums) oddly seem to forget. I think different listeners enjoy and are bugged by different things, so prefer different formats.

2xUeL, Hymie the Robot, Grant and 2 others like this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

nah that would ruin the James Joycean feel of the whole thing because I am thinking that if you inserted periods it would have a negative type of effect that is in the way of causing one to stop time at the locations those periods happened like in time and space but stopping is not the same as moving forward so periods would compromise the flow of the whole thing rendering it in a music of the spheres was less harmonious with the all

arisinwind likes this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Insane Clown Posse and this bit of genius:

2xUeL likes this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The digital recording would sound, in your words, "more to the original sounds of the music". Depending on the instruments played, performance, and rest of the equipment chain, the analogue recording could well sound subjectively better to those who prefer a warmer/softer tone. It is not possible for an analogue tape recording to be free of colouration, but that doesn't necessarily mean it sounds 'worse' (or better) than digital.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The ICP video above was met with worldwide laughter due to them admitting not understanding how basic “things” in general work. The magnet line was certainly the most made fun of line.

20. I have stated this a couple of times here, I still need to hear cymbals sounding right on digital, DSD and 176.4-192/24 get very close but not yet there, analog does get cymbals and bass guitar sound right if recording engineer and equipment are up to task. And do know how real cymbals sound, I must have recorded around a hundred "garage" bands in the 90's and also heard them rehearse.

Invalid likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, the best analog beats any digital ever made.

HDOM likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, not the best of both worlds. Basically this sounds like a DAT machine at best. And no new tape for either, spare parts long unavailable. And a maintenance nightmare even when not very old. Sony likely disowned it years ago. 48/16 sampling rate. by the way. My Tascam DR-07 SD card field recorder can do higher res than that. 24/96. And I spent only $60 used for it. And it likely has a bit better ADC and DAC sound wise as well. Also bear in mind, there were two digital tape formats in the day, Sony or Mitsubishi. Both incompatible by the way.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Grant and Kiko1974 like this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And who can't play those tapes without issues today. And those tapes much of the time didn't play well on the machine across the hall from the one they were recorded on. DAT had a well earned reputation for being less than dependable, finicky, and high maintenance. Reliability was likewise.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Grant likes this.
  24. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

A question for studio engineers and musicians. Not having been in a recording studio, or played in a band for the last decade, how many vocals, guitars etc. go through no digital effects?

25. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Imagine if Digital technology came before Analog. Would the comments praising Analog over Digital be reversed?

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.