Digital reverb on BEACH BOYS "Pet Sounds" Box Set. Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashdaily, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Because without adding reverb the mix will be dry and not sound right. Most people here have never heard a mix without reverb added.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I just don't get what you're after. Are you saying a first time stereo mix should be different simply for the fact of being different? That if a mono mix has added reverb a stereo mix shouldn't, and vice versa?

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

You are reversing the argument, again.

I am not saying: A stereo remix should be different from the mono mix.
    I am asking: Why should a stereo remix necessarily have to be equal to the mono mix?
    Your answer is: "Why shouldn't it?" That's very Pythonesque to me.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's because they were in the middle of the creative process. The idea was simply to make a mix that sounded good, not to match any existing "standard".

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

People had not heard Pet Sounds in stereo before, either.

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Aha! :)

That could have been a good concept for the Pet Sounds stereo remix as well.

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

It doesn't necessarily have to be, but in most cases that is the goal of the engineering team.

Let It Be Naked is a prime example of a remix that is different, but it is clearly noted as such. If it was released with the same cover as the original Let It Be, and not noted as a different mix, I think many people would be outraged.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't actually think I'm reversing the argument. The original topic of this thread was the reverb on the stereo Pet Sounds. You questioned why reverb was used, implying it shouldn't have been. What would the point of not using reverb have been?

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I give up.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

You brought it up! You asked "Why should a stereo remix necessarily have to be equal to the mono mix?" Well, if somebody does attempt to make them equal (regardless of success), what's the problem? What is the fault in trying to replicate an existing mix?

11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I asked, and you answered "why shouldn't it" or similarly five times. If you don't have an answer, why even respond?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Here's your original question:

"The question is, why would someone add reverb (analog or digital) to the stereo mix at all?"

To me, the wording of that implies there was something wrong with doing so in your mind, or that it was outside of the norm. If that's not the case, why ask? Why *wouldn't* someone add reverb to the stereo mix? Why did somebody add reverb to the mono mix? Why does anyone use reverb?

13. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member Thread Starter

That really is an excellent point.

14. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member Thread Starter

I'm rather proud of myself for starting this thread. I had no idea it would produce such a goldmine of information. Is it possible that no digital reverb was added to the stereo mix, but that reverb in the original mono mix simply became more audible in the stereo remix? If so, I would forgive such.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

:agree:

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The thread had to have one, I suppose. :D

17. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

so i guess it's an established fact that the original 4 tracks had reverb recorded to the track?

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A lot of the backing tracks certainly did, yes. That doesn't mean none was added during mono mixing, however.

19. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I never said it was "wrong", I was wondering why it is necessary. I would have preferred it without.
    Why is that a condition for asking the question?
    The argument game again. Why would? Why wouldn't?
    Speculation, but probably because they thought it improves the sound, it ensured its hit quality and it sounded better on 1960s radios and loudspeakers.
    That is an artistic decision for which there cannot be one answer. That was never my question.

20. bigmikerocks

there are very few recordings that don't have reverb added to them.

if the stereo mix hadn't had reverb added to it, it would sound totally dry, unless there was reverb inherent in the 4 track masters, then there may not be a need to add 'extra' reverb to a new mix. a totally dry pet sounds would sound like crap imo

'why wouldn't' someone add reverb to a mix is a totally valid statement/question. it's been a standard procedure for mixing for over 50 years in every style of recorded music

Andreas, what are some of your favorite recordings that are totally free of reverb???

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Agree, it would not be the classic Pet Sounds that we know and love !

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That's merely the reversal of my question.

I don't quite understand why you are asking about "recordings" when my point was about "remixes".

But here are some examples where the different amount of reverb in the mix or master makes the difference:
    Surrealistic Pillow mono mix > stereo mix
    Please Please Me single master > mono album master
    I Get A Kick Out Of You on the "Songs For Young Lovers" LP > "Songs For Young Lovers" CD
    Reach Out I'll Be There single mix > stereo mix
    That's All Right Mama original single release > CD release
    Carrie Anne single mix > stereo mix

I haven't heard it, but the Tommy surround remix is reportedly much drier than the stereo mix.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Because that's what Mark Linett wanted to do. Presumably to get closer to the sound of the mono mix.

24. bigmikerocks

you have to have a recording before you can mix or remix.

of course the amount of reverb can significantly change a recording.

also regarding stereo vs. mono, you can have the same amount of reverb added, and it can sound like more in the stereo version, if more of the wet signal is mixed off to one side

and back to your original question
    "The question is, why would someone add reverb (analog or digital) to the stereo mix at all?"

this is why i asked the last question about some of your favorite recordings that are totally free of reberb......... ok, let me rephrase it.........
    what are some of your favorite remixes that are totally free of reverb.

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Pet Sounds has already been recorded, as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.