Dinner with Ian (now Iain) Matthews...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lisa, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Wow, k-tel Chick is purty! Beautiful eyes there, chickadee...

2. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Good for you!

I honestly had completely lost track of him since the collection of Jules Shear songs ("Walking A Changing Line") that came out in 1988. Was always a fan of the early Southern Comfort material, but have to confess of being ignorant of his standing with Fairport Convention and Thompson.

What a wildly varied and interesting career he's had!

His teaming w/Thompson sounds really promising--hope they can get it out on a decent label with some marketing push. With all the music biz problems he's had, it's nice to know he still has the desire to perform.

doug

3. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I know this information is of absolutely no use to anyone, but I can't resist mentioning that just yesterday I attended the christening of a baby whose first and middle names are Ian Matthew. I doubt the parents chose the names as an homage to Mr. Matthews, though...

Incidentally, why did Iain leave Fairport in the first place? Was he eager for a solo career or were there compatibility problems within the FC ranks? I really like the combination of his and Sandy's voices on "What We Did On Our Holidays" and wish they could have done more together. But it's nice to hear that he and Richard are collaborating after all these years.

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I prefer his Matthew's Southern Comfort version of Woodstock above all others.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wow, KTC! I'm envious that you had a chance to hang out with an original member of Fairport Convention. I like them a lot.

Great news that he's reuniting with Richard Thompson. RT is playing here next month and I'm planning on going. If I meet him, I'll ask him about that.

Evan

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing this...

Bob :D

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love his version of "Woodstock" !!!

8. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I bought a double LP called 'Discrete Repeat'. It has some great songs on it, including lovely versions of Da Doo Ron Ron and Gimme An Inch Girl (by Robert Palmer).

I still have the Matthews Southern Comfort 'Woodstock' single.
    JG

9. alexpop

Was it BJ Cole that played peddle steel on MSC "Woodstock"?

10. alexpop

Thanks for the info!

11. mal content

mal content Guest

Wow, K-Tel, how did this come about? I went and pulled out my "Pure and Crooked" CD for another listen, useta play it all the time. Great songs.

12. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Great picture, K-tel Chick! "Shake It" was a favorite of mine back in '78, '79 - one of the best feel-good, turn-it-up radio songs ever.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I agree!

And my memory tells me that it was the "hit single" version around here! :righton:

14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Lucky you, K-Tel! I sure hope that Iain and Richard can get together to make music again. Their "Book Song" (from the "What We Did On Our Holidays" album) is one of my favorite Fairport tracks.

Jim W

15. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

I read it was because he didn't like the English folk direction that was starting to dominate the band's sound and setlist particularly with the arrival of Sandy Denny and that encouraged Ashley Hutchings and we fans got the immortal "Liege & Lief" album,which is why IM only appears on one track of FC's 3rd album "Unhalfbricking"."

16. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

His first solo LP, If You Saw Through My Eyes, has some great stuff on it, especially his versions of two Richard Farina songs, Reno Nevada, and Morgan The Pirate. Reno features Richard Thompson and Tim Renwick on electric guitars, the first time I'd ever heard either of them. Valley Hi, produced by Mike Nesmith and featuring O.J. "Red" Rhodes on pedal steel, is also nice.

17. alexpop

Was Ian involved with the Emitt Rhodes and Eric Anderson songs with Fairport Convention ?

18. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I thought that might have been the case. (My other theory was that he was getting sick of all the Dylan covers.:))

19. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

That's pretty Cool K-Tel Chick ! I really like the Matthews Southern Comfort "Woodstock" version as others mentioned here as well. I been trying to find the "Same Time Next Year" on CD for awhile which is OOP. The Rhino "Best Of" also is OOP and hard to find at a decent price now. I did find the Rhino "Super Hits Of The 70's Vol. 4" which includes that song though awhile back.

Thanks for posting the photog of Ian & yourself.

20. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Yep, he sang lead on ER's "Time Will Show The Wiser" on the debut album.

21. The Elektra anthology CD of a few years ago, which I bought on a whim, quickly became my most-listened to CD for several months thereafter. It's a great collection of Eagles-like music (they apparently got "Seven Bridges Road" via his version) that, to me, has depth that the Eagles doesn't always have. Just my opinion, and I do like the Eagles. Not to say that Matthews' music is always that way, but the Elektra CD is a very strong compilation, in my opinion.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

over the years i have amassed a fair amount of iain matthews cd's, but i have never found his last album "the tiniest wham". any opinions?

renny

23. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'm listening to it now (actually the CD is from over 10 years ago -- time flies!). I agree, "The Soul of Many Places" is a great compilation of his Elektra years 1972-74. :thumbsup:

Jim W

24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Matthews has always been one of the most interesting and idosyncratic figures in popular music IMO. One of my favorite things of mine which he took part in H I FI and Moods For Mallards which also featured the semilegendary David Surkamp. Their version of Prince's "When You Were Mine" matched if not surpassed Mitch Ryder's version in pathos and raw emotion. He didn't happen to mention that time period of his musical history, did he? I really envy the opportunity you had to converse with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.