Dio Holy Diver - just found my definitive CD version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nightbreed, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightbreed

Nightbreed We're only immortal for a limited time. Thread Starter

For years I've tried to find an excellent sounding CD version of Holy Diver and have been convinced one doesn't exist...until this week. And no, I'm not talking about a new, brick-walled remastered disaster. The answer has been there all along, well since 1986 anyway. It's the 1986 Nippon 32PD-128 Japanese pressing. AFAIK it's a unique mastering...it sounds more like the original vinyl than any other CD I've heard. And I've heard a lot....I own 8 different CDs ranging from 1984 - 2012 (granted, some share the same mastering).

Whereas all other CD versions either sound too thin (yes, even the 2012 Audio Fidelity) or overly compressed (newer remasters) the 1986 Nippon is a little warmer and has richer (fuller) bass. It's a touch louder with an overall DR value of 12 (as opposed to Warner's 14 or Mercury's 13), but by no means too loud or compressed. The only down-side is it's on the expensive side, so it depends on how big of a Dio fan you are.

I can now delete the needle-drops I've been hanging on to. Hope this helps someone that's been looking for this. \m/

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

The gold cd sounds good for me.....but i don't mind checking out others

Nightbreed likes this.
  3. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I'm happy with my original CND cd.

Nightbreed likes this.
  4. Nightbreed

Nightbreed We're only immortal for a limited time. Thread Starter

The other CDs are not bad, I rocked them for years. They're certainly not terrible like some early copies of other albums. This Japanese one sounds even better (to me anyway) so I thought I'd mention it. I looked at the archived Holy Diver thread and the consensus was something along the lines of "there are no good CD versions, they all sound thin, the vinyl is the way to go". They are correct that the vinyl rocks, but the other original pressings aren't as bad as they claim...plus, no one mentioned the Nippon.

If you're happy with either the Gold CD or CND, then those are certainly worthy as well. \m/

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Do you know how the 32PD-128 compares to the second and third Japanese pressings?

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  6. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Could you please please please please please please tell me where you got this? Or even better, can you provide me with UPC numbers, numbers along the spine of the CD, any markings that can help me to find this particular version of Ronnie James Dio's Holy Diver?

7. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

OK, just found it in Discogs

[​IMG]

And you're right, they are very expensive! The least expensive in Discogs is $150 mint condition, and then on up, up, up from there.

8. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

The Discogs entry for this version lists a lot of these details... perhaps the OP could confirm that this is his version, since Discogs is not infallible.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That is the one the OP was talking about. I'd like to know if it's a unique mastering, or if it's the same as subsequent Japanese pressings.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

weratu and SOONERFAN like this.
  11. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Any thoughts on how this one apparently came out better than the AF disc? Perhaps age of the tapes.

12. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Any opinions on the 2005 one?

13. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I just got Holy Diver the original WB CD and discovered that "Gypsy" is cut off at the beginning, the first few milliseconds are at the end of "Holy Diver". A bit annoying but not a dealbreaker as it's an album I play front to back anyway. Couldn't find any info on this anywhere including on here. Do all original WB CDs of this album do that?

14. I never heard that first Japanese pressing.

I have a later Japanese pressing, but I think that one just features the same mastering as the WG Mercury CD, if I recall correctly. This is the version I have:

[​IMG]

I also find the AF Gold CD a bit on the thin side, would love to have more solid bottom end. Sounds like that 1st Japanese pressing could be a winner.

With regards to EQ, I think the Deluxe Edition is not too bad, at least more bottom end (perhaps a bit smiley faced). And it has at least decent dynamics left, DR11.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. There seem to be at least two different Warner Bros. US CD masterings out there, possibly with different indexing also.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That's the one I have. Best version for me so far. There is the US WB and then a Canadian WB with a slightly different mastering. I like the Stay Gold the best.

17. Have you heard the 32PD?

18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I have not. Maybe someone can post some clips. :)

19. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I passed up on the Last in Line deluxe edition somewhat recently for I can't remember what it was, but holy crap I didn't expect them to go for like $100 per album online, and the price I saw it for definitely wasn't that. :confused:

20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Fatter sounding than the old CD, but unnecessarily compressed.

21. My gray area downloaded flac sounds good enough for me $150.00 is just rediculous

22. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

Just noticed this thread....

I have that 32pd-128...

I just checked my Dio playlist on my server to see what Holy Diver was my preferred mastering. It was the Audio Fidelity.

Now I am not one to automatically subscribe that if ‘our host’ does a mastering it is the best. I judge with my own ears.

I do remember taking a lot of time comparing the masterings of Holy Diver a few years back when the AF came out, as it is a real favourite album of mine.

For a time I think I did go with the 32PD, but eventually, and only on my system I found the Audio Fidelity to be clearer and cleaner. My system does have some pretty decent bass response so perhaps that’s why I’ve gone for the AF.

Reading this thread, however, has inspired me to revisit the masterings.

Thank you to the original thread starter for such an interesting post.

BDC, pmaraujo, Alex00 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Has anyone directly compared the Japanese 1st pressing 32PD-128 with the second PPD-3070?

24. pmaraujo

pmaraujo Active Member

hello folks!
    my 32PD-128 has different matrix as the one listed at Discogs.

the one listed at Discogs; Matrix: 811 021 2 - S1C22

Mine; Matrix: 811 021 2 - A2C12

Blue Gecko likes this.
  25. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

FWIW... same glass master just (A2C12) likely pressed in 1987 vs. 1985-1986. Disc IDs and DRs should be identical.

pmaraujo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.