Dion in the 70s

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottafeelin, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm watching Ozark and heard a great song over the credits of season 3 episode 7. I was sure it was Dion, but had never heard the song. I discovered it was "Only You Know" from his 1975 album.

I own everything Dion released from the 50s and 60s, but have yet to venture into the 70s. Now that's about to change.

I wondered if some of the Dion experts on this board would be willing to rate Dion's 70s albums for me. Please include an explanation for each rating. Thanks in advance!

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

gottafeelin likes this.
  3. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

The Phil Spector Produced "Born To Be With You" that contains Only You Know is a masterpiece. That one is 5/5.

4. gottafeelin

Just ordered that one. It was a twofer paired with Sweetheart.

andy75 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Daniel is an expert when it comes to Dion.
    He is your guy.

andy75 and gottafeelin like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's the only Dion album I know but it's exceptional!

andy75 and gottafeelin like this.
  7. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Great! I have that one too. That a fine twofer. Sounds fine. Sweetheart is an ok effort. Released directly afterwards so it's a great fit in that way. Hope you will like it as much as I do.

gottafeelin likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Sanctuary" and "Suite For Late Summer" are great records. These are my two personal favorites from the 70s.

The Spector record gets all the attention, and it is great, but most of Dion's 70s albums are as good, albeit sans the Spector production.

If you like that smooth late 70s easy listening sound "Streetheart" and "Return of the Wanderer" will sail your yacht.

"Sit Down Old Friend" and "You Are Not Alone" are acoustic affairs, much like the "Abe Martin John" album except stripped of orchestration. If you like that album you'll probably like these as well.

I prefer the Ace cds to the Collectibles reissues as the Ace albums are more chronological and organized.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    gottafeelin likes this.
  9. gottafeelin

Thanks, I'll check out the first two you mentioned first.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Great album!

rockinlazys, andy75 and gottafeelin like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He posted a video some time ago of Dion singing 'Your Own Backyard ' that was incredible. I play it a couple of times every week.

gottafeelin likes this.
  12. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Agreed - fantastic use of this beautiful song at end of the Ozark episode! I "Shazamed" it to discover what song it was! Spent the next day listening to the "Born to be with You" over and over!

gottafeelin likes this.
  13. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was playing that Ace 2fer with Born to Be With You on it in my car last week. Both albums are great though the first one seemed to be almost all at the same languid pace. And his voice was rather low in the dense mix.

gottafeelin likes this.
  14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Love the Spector album but definitely get Suite For Late Summer when you can. Sublime!

unfunkterrible and gottafeelin like this.
  15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

The title track is amazing, one of both Dion's and Spector's finest moments.

rockinlazys, gottafeelin and andy75 like this.
  16. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

It really is. I love Phil Spectors sound so much. He and Dion was a perfect fit. I just wish that the whole album had been produced by Phil. But it's still a 5/5 record for me.

rockinlazys likes this.
  17. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

Yesterday , in a thread about obscure albums that deserve better I posted Dion´s Suite , and pointed out how influential , music wise, was in the style of this musician, Father John Misty (though he´s american I don´t know if he´s well-known there ), here´s a song from Suite :

rob68 likes this.
  18. unfunkterrible

unfunkterrible Forum Resident

And here one of Father John Misty ballads :

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.