Dion - Runaround Sue in Stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by javilu77, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it was more than 2 decades ago that I've bought "Runaround Sue" by Dion on CD.
    It had 12 tracks and fantastic sound. most or all of it was Stereo.
    Lost that CD -along with others- and lately I have been wanting to have it again.
    Then I saw one of those cheapo Public Domain comps called "6 classic albums plus sinles" with the RS album plus a ton more stuff.
    I bought and found that unfortunately the RS album is mono as is most of the other stuff on it.
    Is there a comprehensive early Dion comp or boxed set with the complete "Runaround Sue" album in stereo?
    Something like the "6 classic albums" set but with as much Stereo as possible.
    Cheers!

2. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Go for the Ace twofers. There's as much stereo there are possible. The one you'd want is Presenting Dion & The Belmonts/Runaround Sue, but there are a couple others in the series and they are all worth having.

Please keep in mind the complete RS album will never be in full stereo.

McLover and javilu77 like this.
  3. javilu77

Thanks!
    So with the Ace 2fers I will have all contents from "6 Classic albums" but with stereo when available?

Disc One
    ~~~ Presenting Dion and The Belmont's ~~~ 1959
    1. I wonder why ~ 1
    2. Where or when ~ 7
    3. You better not do that
    4. Just you ~~~ b/side of ~ 3
    5. I got the blues
    6. Don't pity me ~ 3
    7. A teenager in love ~ 4
    8. Wonderful girl ~~~ b/side of ~ 8
    9. A funny feeling ~~~ b/side of ~ 9
    10. I've cried before ~~~ b/side of ~ 4
    11. That's my desire ~~~ b/side of ~ 7
    12. No one knows ~ 2

~~~ Wish upon a star ~ Dion and The Belmont's ~~~ 1960
    13. When you wish upon a star ~ 8
    14. In the still of the night ~ 9 (Song is original to Dion & Belmont's,
    charted #38 in 1960 - not the same song as disc two # 22)
    15. A lovers pray ~ 6 ~~~ & b/side of ~ 5
    16. My private joy
    17. My day
    18. Swinging on a star
    19. All the things you are
    20. It's only a paper moon
    21. Fly me to the moon (In other words)
    22. I'm through with love
    23. When the red, red robin comes bob bob bobbin' along
    24. September song
    ------------------

Disc Two
    ~~~ Alone with Dion ~~~ 1960
    1. Lonely teenager ~ 10
    2. After the dance
    3. PS I love you
    4. Save the last dance for me
    5. Little Miss Blue ~ 11 ~~~ & b/side of ~ 10
    6. Havin' fun ~ 12
    7. Close your eyes
    8. Fools rush in
    9. My one and only love
    10. Northeast end of the Connor ~~~ b/side of ~ 12
    11. One for my baby
    12. Then I'll be tired of you

~~~ Dion, Runaround Sue ~~~ 1961
    13. Runaround Sue ~ 14
    14. Somebody nobody wants
    15. Dream lover
    16. Life is but a dream
    17. The wanderer ~ 15
    18. Runaway girl ~~~ b/side of ~ 14
    19. The majestic ~ 16 ~~~ & b/side of ~ 15
    20. Little star
    21. Lonely world
    22. (I'll remember) In the still of the night - (cover of
    The Five Satin's 1956 hit)
    23. Kansas city
    24. Take good care of my baby
    ------------------

Disc Three
    ~~~ Dion ~ Lovers who wander ~~~ 1962
    1. Lovers who wander ~ 17
    2. Come go with me ~ 24 (1963)
    3. King with out a queen ~~~ b/side of ~ 24
    4. The twist
    5. Little Diane ~ 19
    6. Stagger Lee
    7. Shout
    8. Tonight tonight
    9. (I was) born to cry ~ 18 ~~~ & b/side of ~ 17
    10. Queen of the hop
    11. Sandy ~ 22 (1963) (b/side 'Faith' missing)
    12. Lost for sure ~~~ b/side of ~ 19

~~~ The Belmont's ~ Carnival of hits ~~~ 1962
    13. Come on little angel ~ 4
    14. Don't get around much anymore ~ 2
    15. I don't know how to cry
    16. Have you heard
    17. Searching for a new love ~~~ b/side of ~ 2
    18. I need someone ~ 3
    19. Tell me why ~ 1
    20. How about me ~~~ b/side of ~ 4
    21. This love of mine
    22. That American dance ~~~ b/side of ~ 3
    23. I confess
    24. Hombre
    ------------------

Disc Four
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1957
    1. The chosen few
    2. Out in Colorado
    3. Teenage Clementine
    4. Santa Margarita
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1958
    5. Tag along
    6. We went away
    7. Teen angel ~~~ b/side of ~ 1
    8. I can't go on (Rosalie) ~~~ b/side of ~ 2
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1959
    9. Every little thing I do ~ 5
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1961
    10. We belong together
    11. Such a long way
    12. Smoke from your cigarette ~~~ b/side of Belmont's ~ 1
    13. Kissing game ~ 13
    14. Heaven help me ~~~ b/side of ~ 13
    15. Could somebody take my place tonight
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1962
    16. Love came to me ~ 20
    17. Little girl ~~~ b/side of ~ 20
    ~~~ Singles ~~~ 1963
    18. Ruby baby ~ 21 (1963)
    19. He'll only hurt you ~~~ b/side of ~ 21
    20. Diddle-dee-dum (what happens when your love has gone) ~ Belmont's ~ 5
    21. Farewell ~~~ b/side of Belmont's ~ 5

This is an out-standing collection of Dion and/or Dion & Belmont's original recordings.
    Bottom line ~ Here are 46 of the 48 tracks that are on two Ace twofers
    of Dion/Dion & Belmont's first four LP's ~
    > "Presenting Dion & Belmont's"/Dion, Runaround Sue"
    > "Wish upon a star, Dion & Belmont's/Alone with Dion"
    Missing only two tracks ~ "I'm gonna make it somehow" & "Faith" ~
    neither of which where a hit ~ nor original LP track ('Faith' was a b/side 1963)

> Plus complete original LP "Lover's who wander".
    On Ace's twofer "Lover's who wander/Why didn't you do that" ~
    The Lover's who wander album isn't the exact production LP,
    several of the songs are alternate takes, and it's missing "Little Diane"
    ("Why didn't you do that" is stuff out of the can, alternate takes etc)

> Nice bonus ~ getting the best Belmont's hits included.

No liner notes, back of C.D. contains track listing and notes the year.
    This set is digitally remastered & enhanced and has excellent sound quality!
    Three sound issues I found - but not a deal breaker for me.
    Disc one - track 1 - "I wonder why" - mono.
    Disc four - track 18 - "Ruby baby" - mono.
    & track 19 - "He'll only hurt you" vinyl static at beginning.

laf848 likes this.
  4. VeeFan64

Not all of the material on the 4CD set are on the Ace twofers. The Ace twofers (plus there's also one called The Best of The Rest that scoops up some alternate takes and other goodies), cover the Laurie years. They don't include The Belmonts solo stuff or pre-Laurie single, nor do they include what was recorded at Columbia in 1962.

FYI - the 4CD is a public domain release. It cuts off at 1962 because that's when the PD cutoff is in Europe. So they just included everything they could that is rights-free.

javilu77 and John B Good like this.
  5. javilu77

Thanks, I know it is a public domain release, but I don't know why they did include all of Runaround Sue in mono.
    I don't care about the Belmonts stuff but I want everything by Dion in stereo where possible.

6. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

And FYI "Best Of The Rest" on Ace is awesome!

laf848 likes this.
  7. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

Can I ask a few questions? Why can't the entire Runaround Sue album be in stereo?

Also I have a rip of the original mono LP because I wanted the original version of Somebody Nobody Wants. Why was an alternate take used on reissues by Ace? Not that I am against it, it is infact my favourite Dion song so I'm glad to hear any alternates I can but I just wondered why that was and another thing I wanted to ask, which maybe only some of you can answer.....I have heard many different versions of these songs and I notice with The Wanderer and Dream Lover and Sandy that some versions are very different in that they have a lot of reverb on them. I have copies of the Runaround Sue album where everything is very dry. The mono LP rip I have isn't the greatest but I wonder are the versions I have heard that are mono and have a lot of reverb taken from the original mono LP or 45s or is it just something a particular company has done to those mixes? I have to say I do like it. I am in the UK so getting ANY of the original Laurie 45s over here is not easy, I know there's reissues from the late 60's and 70's but I don't know what mixes they use. Should I try and get the original 45s, especiall for Somebody Nobody Wants or do you think any effort will be made in releasing this album again?

I know there is a 2CD set of the Laurie singles and I believe they use the original master tapes and I think it has the original version of Somebody Nobody Wants on there but are they actual representations of how the music originally sounded? Do any of you have the original LP or the original 45s and can say that CD set is the exact same? I remember there being issues with The Wanderer and for many different releases the EQ and reverb was never quite as good as it was on the original 45. I've also just bought a vinyl reissue of Lovers Who Wander and it's completely dry yet I have a version on my computer which has reverb on it so I never know what the music is supposed to sound like and that's mostly in stereo. I'll tell you what also has thrown a spanner in the works. I came across this release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Runaround-Sue-Dion/dp/B00OKXLPZ2/ref=mb_oe_o

And this lists the tracks as original mixes. They are not all in mono but I listened to King Without a Queen and the one I have is completely dry, I like this version. Are these really what the original mixes are? If it is I may need to track down the original LPs and singles. I wish a company would come along and do these albums justice and give the proper mixes and attention to these releases. I know the Lovers Who Wander reissue I got wasn't an official one, but it sounds amazing and there's no reverb so obviously they must have access to some decent tapes. I have the Best of The Rest CD. Does anyone know when Ace releases those CDs, including all the twofers, do they get given those tracks to release and that's all they can release or do they have access to everything Dion did in those years? Do they have copies of all the master tapes and multitracks and mixes? I know they wouldn't let me or anyone else listen but I'd love to know just how much stuff they have. I'd love to listen to all the different takes. I would love to have the original LPS released with their original mono mixes and then have all the stereo mixes available and have it done properly.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Does anybody out there own the Ace Fabulous Dion CD? Which mixes does it have? Recommended?

9. VeeFan64

The long and short of it is that Laurie supposedly had/has a lot of multi-tracks but they were/are in complete disorganization - although that was the info that was floating around 20+ years ago per Goldmine magazine articles and such.

Most of the Dion stuff was only available in mono or reprocessed stereo until the 80s. When the digital age came into full swing, as much of the Dion catalog as could be found was mixed into true stereo. These mixes sound extremely clean and vibrant, but they were not compared to the original mono mixes. The stereo remixes have lots of digital reverb on them; the mono mixes could be quite dry.

As far as the Runaround Sue album in full stereo - some of those multis were not found when the remixing process was undertaken - they could still be in some unmarked box but it doesn't look like those are ever getting touched again. It costs a lot more money to go through those boxes, audition the tapes and pay someone to mix them.

10. crazybeats

crazybeats Forum Resident

Thank you for replying and giving me all that information. Do you think nowadays for the sake of history that the Laurie multi-tracks would be digitised where as 20 years ago a lot of studios and artists did still use tape. I know there will be a cost now to play those tapes back but surely Dion himself and those in the industry would have access to studios to play them or do you think Dion himself isn't too bothered?

It always fascinates me how the recordings were made, I've said that about other artists because sometimes when you hear alternate takes it really seems like everyone is in the room together, it's not just Dion singing against a pre-recorded instrumental....or maybe he was, I don't know. I have noticed that a lot of the original mono 45s from Laurie sound great. For instance a song I was not that keen on was Come Go With Me, the stereo version did not do much for me but someone posted their own rip of the 45 on Youtube and it is fantastic. A big thing for me was the song Somebody Nobody Wants which only in recent years was finally released in it's original mono form, for many years Take 7 was found on re-releases of the album and in stereo.

About those stereo mixes that have been released over the years. Is that a decision that was made simply to try and get as much stereo out there as possible or was it just a case of the people in charge not knowing they had incorrect takes? I don't know what exists but it seems like a lot of the sessions still exist. I think there is 3 different takes of Could Somebody Take My Place Tonight which is another favourite of mine. What surprises me about some of these alternate takes is how good they sound. I think Take 1 of The Wanderer sounds amazing and I know those songs are backing track to the right, backing vocals to the left and Dion in the centre but if they could have done even that for the rest of that album with the correct takes I think it would sound great.

How would those mixes have been done? For instance with those alternate takes I mentioned, the backing track is done but is that how the tapes would have sounded or was that mixing done back in the 60s? I can't imagine them doing maybe 10 or 15 takes of a song and then going back and mixing every take to sound perfect or did they do something in the studio where the volume of every instrument was set and regardless of what was recorded they didn't have to do anything to the music? I suppose what I'm trying to get across is, if we have Take 7 of Somebody Nobody Wants in stereo is it not possible that whatever take they used as the master could be on the same sessions tape and also in stereo even if the multitracks are not there. I know Teenager In Love is very similar in style to that song but I notice with that song they must have kept the multitracks because of how the stereo mix of that song is. I don't want to presume anything about Laurie or the studios Dion worked at but when you look at what is available in stereo it's almost like all the big songs are in stereo and everything else is in mono. I'm not saying they should fill the albums with completely different takes just for the sake of having it all in stereo but I would have been happy with music in one channel, backing in the other and lead in the middle. I would love to know what exists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.