Dionne Warwick 23 Japanese Mini-LP Sleeves of Scepter/Warner Bros. catalogue in 07/2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Could an expert say which are the best of these, based on original tracklisting and bonus tracks? And I guess if the sound is much much better.

I have the 5 album set (one of those Warners Original Album Classics sets), and some old compilations.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I got my two boxes from Japan yesterday and am slowly making my way through them. Strange that "Greatest Motion Picture Hits" does not include any bonus tracks.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I received mine, too. I'll be checking them out all week. Quite an investment, but glad I did.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

Now I keep hoping for Sony/BMG to do a mini-LP sleeve collection of her 12 Arista albums!

5. audiomixer

Which are in terrible need of remastering? A question on the two box sets: Does each disc still come enclosed in a plastic cover?

6. audiomixer

Well, listening now. I have to say I'm pretty impressed by the mastering.

7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I wish I had purchased them all - they all sound brilliant. pghmusiclover makes a good point - why does Greatest Motion Picture Hits have no bonus tracks? (It's still a great listen).

The Dionne Warwicke Story sounds great. I only had it vinyl, but nice to have a crisp sounding CD.

8. audiomixer

I don't find them "crisp" at all. Just very natural and dynamic.

9. pghmusiclover

Especially since the information posted in post #4 indicated there were going to be six bonus tracks. Now as far as I can tell, the stereo album version of the two songs from "The Love Machine" don't appear anywhere (only the two mono single mixes). As I said, I am making my way through this slowly, so perhaps I just haven't noticed them yet!

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Any reports from the 6 early albums? Stereo or mono? Is the sound better than on the CCM reissues which had countless glitches and noises?

11. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Toes go in first: "Presenting Dionne Warwick" sounds quite good - I got it for the mono. The stereo sounds better than the CCM but I didn't do a detailed comparison. Still getting my head around all the duplications & different versions as per your other thread.

I'll get "Make Way..." next. :)

12. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Hi all.

I'm new here - I found this forum when searching for info about the new Japanese mini-LP releases. I had pre-ordered three of them (Greatest Motion Picture Hits, The Dionne Warwicke Story and From Within), because those were three albums I didn't have on CD. After finding this site, I've ordered three more and I'm wishing I could afford even more of them.

I have two main questions for the people here:

1) Does anyone know where the bonus tracks on The Dionne Warwicke Story came from? It appears there is another, shorter concert tacked on to the end, but, since I don't read Japanese, the album notes aren't helping me.

2) From someone who has the early CD releases of the Scepter albums (the 2-on-1 releases from Sequel in the 1990s, not the Collector's Choice ones), can you tell me how significantly different the sound is between those and these new Japanese releases? I mean, is it just a vast, drastic improvement, or is it just a little "better"?

I'm happy with the three I have in my hands right now, although I'm very disappointed that the Greatest Motion Picture Hits didn't include the songs from The Love Machine. It appears those are on the Very Dionne release, which I was hesitant to buy because I have the Rhino Handmade version already...

David

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Which title is the one that would have the most mono singles on it?

14. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Looks like it's "Make Way For Dionne Warwick" with "House Is Not A Home", "Close To You", "Reach Out For Me", "You'll Never Get To Heaven" & "Walk On By", if indeed the mono versions are the 45 versions.

With that and "Presenting..." - plus some monos I already have - I'm figuring I've got Dionne In Mono covered. One mono hits collection would have been enough for me. :)

15. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

OK. But I meant they sound clear.

I can answer number one. The bonus tracks on The Dionne Warwicke Story are the live bonus tracks from Very Dionne.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. audiomixer

All is forgiven.;)

17. Lord Hawthorne

That's what I'm looking for, it it takes maybe three titles to put one together, I'll do that.

18. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Ah, I see. Funny; I always thought those bonus tracks from Very Dionne were from The Dionne Warwicke Story, because I never did a direct comparison of the two, but it is now clear that two two albums contained recordings from different performances.

Thanks for clarifying that.

David

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

I have the first five. Here I Am doesn't have the Message To Michael bonus track :(

20. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

Looks like it's on In Paris.

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

22. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Thanks for that. :)

"Here Where The Is Love" is sounding superb in mono. It's the only one (so far, chronologically) that's not apparently been transferred with a stereo machine.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Good to know, thanks.

24. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I was listening to my Japanese copy of Anyone Who Had A Heart last night and when I went to put it away, I didn't take the poly inner sleeve out of the paper inner sleeve. Somehow, everything slipped out of my hands and went crashing to the floor. The disc landed data side up but it flipped around a bit before doing so and got a few nasty scuffs in the process. :yikes: At first I thought it just picked up a little dust and I tried (unsuccessfully) to clean off the disc. :mad: These Japanese reissues ain't cheap so needless to say I was a bit bummed and mad at myself for being so clumsy. Ugh!

25. audiomixer

Yikes is right! I have learned to sit down on the couch and put everything back in its place over a soft surface. If I fumble it, no harm done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.