Dire Straits HOF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rawkdude, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

They absolutely did.

2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Missed this announcement as I generally dont care what the HOF thinks, but glad for Dire Straits. Although as a group it wasn't the longest run, their albums were so influential and I could argue they were one of the 2-3 definitive bands of the 80s. Self titled, Communique and Making Movies are 3 of my favorite albums. Love over Gold just has the one great track Telegraph Road but the rest is pretty good too. And then of course Brothers in Arms breaks all records and MFN becomes the MTV hit of the decade. Well deserved for Knopfler and Co.

3. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I get Mark Knopfler not showing or caring. Lots of artists have bypassed the induction. It's the lack of a proper inductor that I found odd. Surely someone other than one of the band members not named Knopfler could have given some kind of speech. The only way the night could have been any weirder for Dire Straits is if Iggy Pop would have sung Money for Nothing or Sultans of Swing.

4. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

The three other members who were there did each talk and accept their award.

keyXVII likes this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But is attending - and making picking up a guitar and playing - a HOF induction about accomplishing anything or artistry?

I agree Knopfler doesn’t owe any of us anything (and maybe not even his former bandmates) - and I think ceremonies to pat the backs of rich, famous people are kinda silly. And in the end, his not attending is roughly #5,456,229 on my list of concerns.

But for a guy who seems to want to come across as a regular guy, it seems pretty unregular, small, and self-centered to not help make the moment more special for others. It’s like the guy who declines to go to a wedding or a funeral because “he can’t get his head around it” - not for a moment recognizing it’s not all about him.

6. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Here’s Why Musicians Refused to Induct Dire Straits Into the Rock Hall

“Simply that the people who were asked, decided not to show up after learning that Mark wasn’t to be there. I’m not sure of the timing of their decisions so it may not be as cruel as it seems,” Fletcher explained on his website. “For example, it may not have been known to them that the three of us would take the helm.” (If you want specific names, according to intel from Billboard, Keith Urban and Neil Young were asked but declined.) While Fletcher wouldn’t get into any more details about the intricacies behind the induction besides being humbled by the honor, he did also admit to a commenter that Knopfler should’ve released some sort of statement to explain his rationale for skipping the ceremony: “I agree.”

Christopher B, LarsO, abescan and 2 others like this.
  7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Well put Guy.

8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

One of my favorite bands. But really...who cares. The whole RRHOF thing has gotten silly.

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Point of interest.........
    24/48 2.0
    and
    24/96 5.1

I have this and the SACD...........prefer the 5.1 PCM version over DSD.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe MK doesn’t want to be seen in his old age.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love over gold is a must in 5.1!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.