Dire Straits MFSL - 45rpm + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

So what’s taking so long with MoFi?

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Good question.

Was just looking on Music Direct and came across this "Dire Straits - Studio Albums 1978-1991" 6CD Box Set. The set is due out in April. A good way to get all six studio albums if one doesn't have them for a nice price. I wonder if they're the remastered CDs from 1996 or new Bernie Grundman masterings as with the vinyl set.

Dire Straits - Studio Albums 1978-1991 (6CD Box Set)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. Wonder if these are the Warner remastered series from 1999 or thereabouts in a box or a new remaster?

4. Brendan Mulhaire

Brendan Mulhaire Forum Resident

Just received the March Music Direct catalog and the are no longer even a mentioning of this release. (Present or future) Feels like nothing will happened anytime soon.

nfmboss666 likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

6. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

TBA forever!

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I remember MoFi also announced the SACD of ELO’s “Out of The Blue” and its eventual cancellation. Why announced something, especially so far ahead, when it’s not a certainty?

I supposed this goes for the announced SACD of Barry Manilow’s “Greatest Hits” as well.

Brendan Mulhaire likes this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Which comes first the Dire Straits or the folding of AF? :)

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve been saying this since the reissue of the box set was announced...

Brendan Mulhaire likes this.
  10. agn

agn Forum Resident

11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I cancelled all my preorders for these. A shame, but I have great copies of three of them already and the two I don't have that I'd want I just don't listen to that much anyway .

Myke likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

13. BrucePadgett

Ouch! Given MoFi’s long lead times, I fear that AF may join Toys ‘r Us before then. And I’d have to wonder if Acoustic Sounds would then still be around as well.

14. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I'm keeping my preorder open...aside from the fact that I really want the SACDs, I'm morbidly curious to see if this will turn out to be the longest time I've ever had anything on preorder...(provided they ever actually ship).

15. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

Perhaps announcements are merely to gauge interest in the form of pre-orders. Too few, they cancel. A lot, they go forward. Complete speculation on my part.

16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Barely on topic, have always respected Dire Straits. Sultans of Swing was an AM radio staple, and of course there's the hit-making machine of Brothers In Arms that everyone is at least somewhat familiar with. Never owned any of their albums until recently finding Love Over Gold, Brothers & On Every Street in a dollar bin. This thread reminded me that I had yet to listen to Love Over Gold so here I go, off to a really nice start! I don't think I've ever heard anything on this album before.

Rupe33 and c-eling like this.
  17. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

You're in for a treat!

Back on topic - just as well they get pushed to July, as I can't afford them right now, and want them ALL.

AllenR likes this.
  18. AllenR

AllenR Forum Resident

Yes, he is in for a treat! My fav album of Dire Straits.

19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Solid album indeed, I like it best of the three I have so far.

Now perhaps for some 45 RPM vinyl??? :)

AllenR likes this.
  20. BrucePadgett

Wait until you hear “Telegraph Road”. Yowzah!

Linger63, AllenR, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sure, but the MFSL Dire Straits (the 45rpm’s anyway, not certain about the SACDs) have been available for pre-order at some outlets since late 2016.

I think they had a pretty good idea for demand a yr or so ago. And I doubt demand was the issue...unless it worked against MFSL and UMe decided they could make more $$ by keeping it in house...

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I see no need to cancel any preorder if payment isn't made till the preordered items ship. I preordered all four Dire Straits MOFI SACDs from Music Direct. When I did the preorder they were having a 20% off sale. So if the SACDs are never released the preorder is cancelled. If the SACDs are released I'll get them at 20% off. That works for me :).

agn, Tullman, trumpetplayer and 2 others like this.
  23. agn

agn Forum Resident

Maybe but it would be great if they actually were available then, no?

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It would be great if it started raining gold coins too, but I don’t see it happening either.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not for me, I gave up a long time ago, and went with the Grundman/Bellman vinyl, as posted previously in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.