Dire Straits MFSL - 45rpm + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's the spirit! A Rebel with a cause ;).

eelkiller likes this.
  2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Wow, another $200 of life just flashed before my eyes. I don't think I could pass on one of those on 45 rpm vinyl. The only hope for me is that they take a while, as they likely will.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Go for it! At least us SACD fans only take a $120 hit :).

art and PH416156 like this.
  4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't want to upset you Bill, but they are also advertising Dylan "Love and Theft" as well as "Layla" : )

Serious.

Bill Mac and RiRiIII like this.
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

More Dylan, that is good news. Layla had been done to death.

art likes this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Maybe they will stagger them like the Dylan's, thus justifying me to get both formats one at a time for $80 a pop instead of $320 all at once lol

eelkiller likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow! That's cool! Not a huge Dylan fan but Layla is one of my all time favorite albums. Will Layla be from MOFI on SACD? Thanks :)!

8. eelkiller

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I started out on SACD. I have BIA on SACD in fact. Ever since I got back into tables it's really the vinyl that gets me going. Don't go there if you like the cheaper option. Also a lot easier to store SACDs. Even so, I haven't bought one in years.

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

That catalog should reach here tomorrow then. Were there any other future releases that caught your attention, besides Dire Straits?

11. Joey_Corleone

It says both LP and SACD. No mention on LP speed.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This was another situation of the artist having a huge blockbusters during the mid 80's (Tears for Fears, Peter Gabriel being others) and delaying the next release for too long. Not to take anything away from the artistic content of these releases, but the lapses obviously affected commercial potential.

13. Joey_Corleone

Maybe the right answer, if not to get both is to stick to the idea of getting the format that mirrors the recording, mixing and mastering of the original.

I think the first four albums were analog, weren't they? Only one I question would be love over gold.

That was the reason I passed on the 45rpm Brothers In Arms and just got the SACD when it came out.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Instant purchase on the SACDs for me.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think two of these are a better way of blowing £100 than the One Step Abraxas. (Even though I already have several copies).

16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

It will not be the definitive versions, cause it can't be the definitive versions.

You know why?
    The DSD 2,8MHz is not definitive resolution. If you want all the "breath of life" in the master tapes, you have at least go up to 11,2MHz (quad DSD).
    Second is that hybrid SACD is a compromise that always will creates jitter when reading the optical disc.

Gamers always want to make use of the latest and greatest in digital technology. Even film enthusiasts ask for more and achieve it. They now slightly getting their classic movies in 4K resolution. Why not 4K resolution in music? Instead we're buying 45rpm records for $100 and have to get up of the chair to flip records all the time. This is not progress.

We have to ask for more!
    Once you have heard the "breath of life", the flow and ease and dynamics in 15/30ips studio masters, or HQ digital recordings, you not want to go back listening to a hybrid SACD. Trust me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Love Over Gold is analogue.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. I've been very happy with the Mofi 45RPM's of I Robot and Rickie Lee Jones, so I'll likely pickup Dire Straits' S/T Debut and Love Over Gold.

19. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the MOFI ones are better than the SHM ones? I got the MOFI of Brothers In Arms but got the Platinum SHM-CD of Dire Straits.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Dire Straits MOFI SACDs haven't been released yet so there is no way to know if they're better than the SHM-SACDs.

21. eelkiller

Correct, we won't know for sure until the numbers are up here.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database »

Craig and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Geez, great. Talk about being a sucker for that album, it's like I can't stop buying it with each new audiophile release. I do have the original vinyl MFSL release I paid big bucks for a few years ago. Hope someone will speak to the quality of the new one once it's out.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Are the vinyl audiophile releases of Brothers In Arms edited like the original release ?

24. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Or Metallica...

25. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I thought the SHM ones were flat transfers off the master tapes anyway. What would the appeal of the MFSL ones be over them?

dobyblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.