Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 30, 2019.

1. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

I am wondering whether I should also get the MoFi version of Brothers In Arms. I already own the 20th anniversary SACD version, and am somewhat pleased with it. Does anyone here have an idea of the sonic differences between these two versions?

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Krypto98

Krypto98 Well-Known Member

The Mofi has way more dynamic range I believe

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Pardon my bluntness, The 20th Anniversary BIA is one of the worst mastering in existence or at least to my ears. It has virtually no dynamics, abrasive EQ and and overall is somewhat painful above low volume levels. No hyperbole only my own experience and opinion.

If you are "pleased" the 20th than the Dynamically nice MFSL may be a rather jarring difference, as not everyone likes or wants Dynamics as evidenced by majority of masterings the last 25+ years. There is no wrong or right we like what we like :) Anyhow on a scale of 1 to 10 I rate the MFSL as an 8 perhaps 8.5 and the 20th at slightly below a 1 at .5

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

May anyone upload a sample from 'Love Over Gold' and 'Moving Pictures?

:wave:

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The MFSL BIA is a very good mastering, although I prefer the SHM-SACD a bit. The best two pressings IMO

6. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

Bluntness acknowledged as you being quite passionate, or convinced that the 20th anniversary SACD version is poor at best :)
    It was actually the first SACD I bought many years ago, even without owning an SACD capable player at the time.
    I wrote I was somewhat pleased with the mastering. I have plenty of other SACDs in my collection that really make the BIA disc shine in comparison (unfortunately).

Based on the replies here, I can already deduct that I have to splurge a little more, and include the MoFi version of BIA as well.

Thanks for the input.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I got brothers in arms for the 5.1... but in light of the fact they obviously aren't going to do anything else... looks like I need to get these mofi's.
    Cheers guys

Jarleboy and DMonds like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was waiting for the box set, but with these and the Brothers 5.1, I think I am good.
    Ordered

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Krypto98

Krypto98 Well-Known Member

Anyone managed to get DR values for the SACDs?

ispace likes this.
  10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

It's on Discogs now. Shawn R. Britton did them both.

11. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I assume you are talking about the stereo mix on the 20th Anniversary SACD.
    I always listen to the 5.1 mix (never even bothered playing the stereo mix) and it is excellent. But I think it has been widely discussed.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Linger63 likes this.
  13. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Aren't Rob and Shawn the only mastering engineers there? I can't think of anyone else.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Anything is possible I suppose, but I can’t imagine the MFSL won’t be noticeably better than the 20th SACD. The 2oth stereo may be the worst version available.

ricks and Plan9 like this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m almost certain it’s the same mastering. That’s got to be how your system handles PCM vs DSD.

ricks and dobyblue like this.
  16. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

The 20th Anniversary SACD is horrid. Absolutely jump on the MOFI SACD.

ricks, Plan9 and nick99nack like this.
  17. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Krieg Wunderlich is the other mastering engineer with them. Here's the Discogs Link to him--Krieg Wunderlich

He just did SRV's Texas Flood for MoFi.

Joti Cover likes this.
  18. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Exactly. And he seems to mostly or exclusively handling vinyl format these days.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Jarleboy and Bill Mac like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Linger63 likes this.
  21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

"Finally, when all of that was complete, the mix went to redacted at redacted where he performed the final mastering, EQ and compression."

I do remember that article from back when it was new; They seemed so very proud that they sent there work away to have "compression" added during mastering. cough:m0r0ns:cough

They did get their moneys worth as all those pesky Dynamic were completely removed.

Bananas&blow and ispace like this.
  22. HumbleBy

HumbleBy Forum Resident

Just purchased a still sealed copy of the MFSL BIA SACD on Discogs.
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

Now the wait until the discs arrive......
    In the meantime, I will with great interest read your impressions of the sound.

OptimisticGoat and Carlox like this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Actually I hope they sound like crap :D ;), so I won't have to buy these albums again.

George P and c-eling like this.
  24. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

From what I've heard of the MM and SOG SACD's, I'm sorry to report you're SOL. Open wallet, spend $$.

Anonamemouse and PH416156 like this.
  25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I listened to the Self titled and Communique SACDs last night. They do sound nice - without comparing them to any of the multitude of other digital version I have of these albums I can't say if they are better than any other version or not. Regardless, they were very nice sounding, but they didn't blow me away. I will listen to Making Movies and Love Over Gold today and see if they sound as stellar as others seem to report.

I am really looking forward to receiving the 4 MFSL 45rpm LP sets.

c-eling likes this.