Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 30, 2019.

1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Those are the ones I'm looking for! (Making Movies and Love Over Gold)

2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

MOFI site says in stock but music direct says out of stock. Do they ship from two different places?

3. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

«In stock - shipping fall 2019».

Read it as you wish :)

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:laugh:
    The gal and I didn't care for the Brothers In Arms MFSL, so if this carry's same 'signature' I won't have to worry.

PH416156 likes this.
  5. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I mean, it’s fall :shrug:

6. I have the four new titles in hand but it’ll be a day or two before I will have a chance to have some critical listening time.

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The best version of BIA, IMO is the SHM SACD, if you can find a copy. Personally I'm really not fond of how much they changed the EQ on the Mofi copy.

8. pablo

pablo Forum Resident

My S/T & LOG arrive Thursday according to USPS.

9. Okay contrary to my earlier post, I just had to play the new S/T SACD. I couldn’t wait. I actually love the entire DS SHM-SACD series, even preferring BIA SHM-SACD vs the MoFi. However in this case MoFi S/T has a beautifully warm sound that it reminds me of the first time I played the LP. Very, very nice. I am giving this the edge vs SHM-SACD it’s absolutely terrific, it’s now the best version I own - definitive. MoFi hit this one out of the park. It was worth the wait. More on the others soon but in the mean time if you’re on the fence buy it!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Thanks for the tip. I've been on the sidelines with the various digital versions but I think I can jump in the MoFi waters now. Let us know if you like the others more than the SHM SACD versions too.

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Thanks for the report. Please let us know about the rest. I'm having a hard time justifying the purchase of the Mofis since I already own the SHM SACDs. But if these really do sound better...

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Agreed!

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Thanks! You said everything I wanted to hear. Can’t wait for this and Making Movies to arrive Tuesday.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

So did you do an A/B test where you listened to both/all mentioned versions at basically the same time, or did you "compare to the memory you have of playing this album about two months ago"? Because human memory for exact sound is less than 5 minutes at best...

mikedifr0923 and albertop like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Comparison clips between other versions would be awesome. If someone were so inclined :thumbsup:

ispace, ponkine and albertop like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Does the new MFSL s/t use the full length "Sultans Of Swing"?

Jarleboy, BeatlesBop and Carlox like this.
  17. agentalbert

Pardon, but which is the specific SHM-CD of BIA that is referred to here? Looking around there seem to be multiple SHM issues of this title, and probably not all the same master. I see ones in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2014.

ispace likes this.
  18. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

2014. It’s the only CD/SACD edition that is based on a Lp cutting master. So this has the same playing time as the original Lp.

19. agentalbert

Thanks, so all from 2014:

UIGY-9547 (SHM-SACD)
    UICY-40055 (Platinum SHM-CD)
    UICY-76099 (SHM-CD)

These are all the same master, based on the LP with the slightly shorter song run times?

Then it looks like in 2016 there is a UIGY-15008, a SHM-SACD re-issue of UIGY-9547. Is all that correct?

20. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

5:47 - That's full length right?

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yep. My old CD has an early fade out and ends at 5:36

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Correct.

2016 is a reissue in standard CD jewel case.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

It would be nice if the thread would stay on topic about the MFSL SACD Dire Straits.

Perhaps PM for the continued discussion of BIA?

thanks

24. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Agreed.

If people want to discuss the MFSL BIA, that is fine, even in direct comparison to other, non-MFSL masterings. But if you want to discuss those other, non-MFSL masterings by themselves, please use PM or another thread.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I know the 20th anniversary edition is a little hot, but DR8 is hardly “no dynamics”
    Lol

I typically listen to the 5.1 PCM for BIA but I look forward to comparing the Love Over Gold MFSL to the SHM-SACD when Amazon CA gets stock in. Thanks to those providing some early thoughts! Great this time has finally arrived.

gabbleratchet7 and davidmm like this.