Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 30, 2019.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You may not like the S/T Dire Straits, then. I only sampled a bit of Sultans Of Swing (redbook layer) this morning, but it has noticeably more bass and treble than my old WB CD.

TarnishedEars and c-eling like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

If the MFSL SACD has more treble... I should compare the MFSL to the first SHM-SACD edition. ;)

TarnishedEars likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks George. I'll be skipping it.

George P likes this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Cue the :) face EQ accusations.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If only they used the extended versions on the original CD.

Dave and Carlox like this.
  6. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Interesting first impressions & thanks. :)

Shvartze Shabbos and George P like this.
  7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just listened to Making Movies and just like the S/T and Communique, it sounded good, but I was underwhelmed. In fact Making Movies didn't have the sheer impact of the drums I have become used to with this LP. Overall the sound was a bit muted to what I was used to - again I have more copies of this album (vinyl, CD, SACD) than one person should have.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

A little mushy sounding?

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have not listen to the Mofi yet, but I have a few copies of this record. The SHM-SACD sounds "bad", the original CD sounds "bad"... only the LP sounds good.

10. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Can you please describe the differences you hear between the MoFi and jpn SACD of MM?

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

There is only one SHM SACD mastering of BIA. I was not referring to a redbook release.

formu_la and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  12. TarnishedEars

Please do. I'm trying to decide if I need to own yet another copy of these recording or not.

13. MikeT

Right now I am not inclined to do a comparison, so I'm sorry I can't answer you question.

14. MikeT

Yes it does have a mushy/closed in sound. And I agree with Claus, the LP versions I have sound so much better than any digital version. Since I have to assume the MOFI SACD was mastered from the same source as the upcoming 2x45LP (which I have on order), I am curious to see how the LP will sound.

15. MikeT

So I listed to Love Over Gold, and this SACD was excellent sounding. Had the perfect quality I expect from this album - with a real nice clarity when things get "loud" (i.e., the last minutes of Telegraph Road when everything is really rockin').

One thing that this SACD accentuates, and something I really don't get with this album, most songs start out very soft - almost imperceptible and they build to a major crescendo as they continue until they are very loud when they end (i.e., Telegraph Road, It Never Rains). This SACD really makes that more evident, so that when turned up to hear the beginnings of those songs at normal volume, things just shake the walls at the end of those songs (but without any distortion or compression).

Overall LOG - the best of the bunch.

So after listening to all 4 Mofi SACDs here is how I would rate them as to overall sound quality to which I am used to from these albums, again not a comparison to any other version, but just the way listening to each made me feel and the emotional response I got from listening to them:

1) Love Over Gold - as described above
    2) Communique - the drums were really nice on this disc, more slam than I ever remember hearing.
    3) S/T Dire Straits - sounded good, but a bit underwhelming.
    4) Making Movies - muted, no drum slam, muted highs. Maybe no better overall than any other version. I may have to compare the SHM-SACD or other CD versions to this SACD to see if it improves at all on those.

16. Played Communique and was very impressed. This is another where the MoFi is slightly better that the SHM-SACD. Making Movies sounds nice but I’m giving the edge to the SHM-SACD it sounds a little more open and clearer on the SHM SACD especially in the high end. It may the mastering but make no mistake, MoFi still sounds very nice. We are splitting hairs but interestingly SHM SACD and MoFi each have their own unique sound characteristics. I’m happy to own both versions of each. Next up Love Over Gold. Hope to listen to that shortly. To recap I am very happy with the MoFi series. If anyone is on the fence I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. They did a fine job mastering and along with the format, SQ reflects such.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  17. George P

Thanks for that!

Interestingly, Love Over Gold is the only one of the 4 that was mastered by Rob LoVerde (assisted by Britton.)

Carlox and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  18. Nice recap, Mike. :righton:

MikeT likes this.
  19. TarnishedEars

They did use the extended version on the original CD. It was the original LP which they could not fit the extended version on. But of course, the analog master tape for the original LP was the one which the SHM SACD was sourced from.

But I know what you mean. Were it not for having the shorter version, the SHM SACD of BIA would have been perfect.

20. I’m puzzled why no SHM SACD nor MoFi for On Every Street?

21. George P

Was it a digital recording?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. Good question. It’s certainly possible. But so was BIA, no?

23. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Love Over Gold may be the only one of the bunch recorded digitally as well, but I’m not certain of that. Lots of stuff was being done that way by 1982.

24. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

BIA is a digital recording, yes.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If SPARS is to be believed- On Every Street was a digital.
    I'd had my suspicions on Love Over Gold as well having some kind of element of digital being involved.
    I don't have the old vinyl for this one to check.

ispace and Shvartze Shabbos like this.