Dire Straits - MFSL SACD - Sound Quality Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 30, 2019.

1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok. You got me. I decided to pull out the SHM-SACD and compare to the MOFI. The Mofi may have a bit more depth to the soundstage, but it still sounded muted. The SHM-SACD sounds sonically more open from the low end to the high end (it is definitely brighter in comparison to the MOFI). The drums have much more impact, and the high frequencies don't sound muted.

The SHM-SACD still doesn't have the qualities of one of the good vinyl versions, but it is much more emotionally involving than the Mofi version.

DMonds, Plan9, Musicisthebest and 3 others like this.
  2. MikeT

Then what does 30ips mean in the liner notes (really computer screen prints) with regard to tape?

c-eling likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I’m sure these MoFi’s sound great, but I invested in the SHM-SACDs years ago & I’ll just stick with them.

Mike McMann and Joti Cover like this.
  4. I have my copy of OES Warner Remaster series which is my go to, but would love to have MoFi SACD, the last of the SHM-SACD’s set sail, so that’s out of the question.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I won”t mind a tad less drum-slam on Making Movies if the other elements are working well individually and in tandem.
    The record may had perhaps too much drum on the original, but I admit I did like them in that thunderous/ big-80s fashion. Will soon that find out.
    The thought that the highs may be a bit closed or muted is something I don’t relish though.
    Strange also as that is not indicative of Shawn’s work really from what I’ve experienced.

6. Joti Cover

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Seems that my thoughts was right. Communique and LOG has some «tape issues» when it comes to the jpn SACDs, as I hear it. So in that case I would predict the MoFi SACDs be better.
    For S/T and Making Movies, I was not equally sure that the MoFi would be a better choice.

I agree that the Ludwig mastered first edition Lp of MM may be the reference, of all the versions I have heard.

Joti Cover and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

I have ordered MM and Communique from Elusive disc and will spin them and report back. :)

9. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I “enjoy” these albums, but they certainly aren’t in my Top 20.

10. Joti Cover

I’m beginning to think that Love Over Gold is truly an analogue recording from what I’m reading.
    The Wiki notes say that MK wanted to move into the digital realm for BIA so I will stand corrected re LOG.
    And I might have to have to buy this one now!

NiceMrMustard and c-eling like this.
  11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

If Love Over Gold isn’t analogue, I wonder if they added tape hiss (private investigations)to a digital recording ;)

The_Windmill, Dave, CDFanatic and 3 others like this.
  12. MikeT

The more I think about it, I wonder if the Mofi is more true to what might be on the master tape? Even though the SHM-SACD has a more powerful drum sound, and better high end, it can sound a bright. So either Shawn (and I know people tend to think he masters a bit brighter than most) tried to tame the brightness of the master tapes, so they sounded muted, or he wanted them to sound more relaxed (which they do).

There are distinct differences between the SHM-SACD and the MOFI. The Mofi may be easier on the ears (which I realized after putting it on after listening to the entire SHM-SACD), but the SHM-SACD brings out more in the music at the expense of being bright (maybe too much so at times).

Neither SACD is perfect.... thankfully I have vinyl versions that sound great. Hoping that the Mofi vinyl version trumps them all (wondering how it will do that if it is cut from the same source as the Mofi SACD).

13. Joti Cover

Shawn also relaxed or toned down the drum sound a bit on REM’s 1986 release as well....and as you mentioned that could possibly be more faithful to the master tape.....Both versions are desirable, however, and good to have depending on your mood....
    Finally, yes! The LPs will most likely be a big win in this Dire Straits MOFI series.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Thanks for this. Could you do a comparison between the MOFI & the Blue Swirl/Orange Fan/Red Swirl? I do own the SHM-SACD but I found the treble too harsh for my tastes so the original CD is currently my go to version.

Carlox likes this.
  15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

He only heard the redbook layer.
    As you are SACD capable maybe you should not be so hasty!!!!:laugh:

TarnishedEars likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Unless MFSL has changed things, then both layers will have the same mastering.

17. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for my order to arrive, but it's interesting to notice that your ranking of the MFSL SACDs matches my ranking of the original CDs (European CDs). I've always considered Love Over Gold to be the best of the bunch in terms of sound quality, then Communique', and last two S/T and MM.

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I meant if they used the extended versions from the original CD on the Japan SACD, sorry about the poor wording in the earlier post. ;)

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  19. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Thanks Musicisthebest, i have the same curiosity...
    I do own the four Blue Swirl original CDs, and currently they are my go to version, too.
    But, i am currently interested in purchasing the MFSL-SACD... I have been attentive to the opinions of our members. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Musicisthebest likes this.
  20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I guess I’ll have to drag it out again, but the one time I listened to the SHM-SACD of Making Movies it was anything but emotionally involving.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Not everyone is of the opinion that only the masterings make a difference.

Krypto98 likes this.
  22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Agreed. But this does not necessarily mean that the two layers, containing with the same masterings sound 100% identical.

23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

How could these possibly go from TBA > Available in October > Available in November > Out Of Stock (usually ships within 4-6 weeks) in a matter of a week or two?

P.S. I thought this thread was about Dire Straits MFSL SACDs? Why all the comments and comparisons and opinions of releases that have not be able to be compared to the MFSL SACDs?

OakBloke and OptimisticGoat like this.
  24. Never listed to nor compare redbook layer. If there is a high res layer, what’s the point of listening to lower res?

formu_la likes this.
  25. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

... because that would be devastating for all the audiophiles and format warriors out there, isn't it :)))))