Directors Cuts That Do Not Remove Anything From The Theatrical Versions?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Directors Cuts That Do Not Remove Anything From The Theatrical Versions just add new footage.
    Are there ANY?!

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I haven't compared them shot for shot, but I thought all the extended versions of the Lord of the Rings films had all the original footage.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think most DCs add and don't subtract... :shrug:

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I believe you are correct. I haven't watched the theatrical versions in so long though I cannot confirm 100%.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, the question is better posed the other way round. What DC remove things.

One of the DCs of Blade Runner removes the narration I think, and I remember seeing a DC that was actually shorter by five minutes but it escapes me now.

6. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Picnic at Hanging Rock is one such example. Peter Weir removed approximately seven minutes from the theatrical version.

There are other examples, for sure.

Michael and Jim B. like this.
  7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Nope, the scene in The Fellowship of the Ring when the, uh, Fellowship arrive in the forest outside of Lothlorien is slightly different between theatrical and extended versions; the former has Gimili saying something along the lines of "Aragorn, we must turn back, this place is cursed" and Haldir says something like "you have entered the realm of the White Lady, there is no going back" (forgive the extremely rough paraphrase; haven't watched the film in a few years)... the latter removes that exchange and instead there is alternate footage of the Fellowship waiting to get approval to enter Lothlorien, Gimili cursing the Elves, and a shot of them overlooking the realm before entering.

I much prefer the theatrical version of that scene; it's tighter, more concise, and gets to the point quicker and better (imho)... but then, that argument could be equally applied to the films overall in their respective theatrical versions (save for the disgraceful exclusion of Christopher Lee in The Return of the King).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    SandAndGlass, Michael and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Yeah.....
    almost every one.

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

yeah really? I just read about a few DC that cut stuff out of THE THEATRICAL VERSION...Hmmm.

10. Michael

Indeed...

11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

And it's still a great movie!

Michael and stepeanut like this.
  12. Michael

yes...

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. Larry Geller

Yeah, like Tom Jones. There's probably 50 director's cuts that add footage for every one that just removes stuff, however. The Doors is about to be another cut one.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

really? that sucks...what is cut?

15. Larry Geller

I think Jim jumping off the roof.

Michael likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I've got the Final Cut 4K - where is that scene in the movie?

I can compare to the original cut if I know where to look.

FWIW, the Final Cut is 2 minutes shorter...

17. Oatsdad

Never mind - I found the scene on my own.

The "Hotel Ledge" sequence indeed gets dropped from the "Final Cut".

I was unable to do a running comparison between the two versions, so I guess it's possible other minor alterations exist.

However, the Final Cut runs two minutes, 18 seconds shorter than the theatrical - and "Hotel Ledge" lasts precisely 2:18, so I think it's highly likely it's the only change...

18. Michael

OK, gotcha...I think he already has. ; )

19. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I thought all directors cuts were just the full version of the film before the studios trimmed the length and tightened it up a bit..Or am i being naive? Never realised that the directors cut would not feature everything that was in the studio cut.

Michael likes this.
  20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Nah. In the first film, the opening sequence of The Shire cuts Gandalf's description of the "outside world" (when Frodo asks "What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.") and replaces it with Bilbo's own narration of The Shire.

While overall I prefer the extended cut, I actually like the opening with Gandalf instead of Bilbo for that sequence.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Different cuts of a film can vary wildly. Many things can be replaced, cut, color schemes changed, different takes used, have different music, etc. In fact, Jackie Chan once created an entirely new character and subplot for a Hong Kong version of The Protector.

enfield likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And of course Blade Runner removes the "noir" narration from the end, but that's a special case, depending on which 'theatrical version" you saw.

23. Dillydipper

Then there's Superman II - which director's version is "the Director"'s version...? :shrug:
    Does the "Donner" leave the rest of Lester's work intact...?

24. Dillydipper

Since they're versions intended for home video (a la "non-seats-twitching-in-butts" format for leisurly couch comfort), there wouldn't be a need to remove anything per se, unless it conflicts with the added footage. But to the point, when you're really just swapping-out one narration for another, does that really count as "cutting" something..?

25. Michael

I did too until I watched the DC of Payback! and Bad Santa...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.