Disappointing Christmas album by an artist you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd pick "Merry Christmas Baby" as one of the greatest things he ever did. Some of the original country songs on that album are cool too.

2. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Man, this is the only Christmas album I like! I'd say it's his best front-to-back album since The Convincer.

The Chris Isaak one a few years back was a letdown. Too many standards.

3. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I borrowed Gwen Stefani's Christmas album at the library yesterday to compile some playlists for the holidays. I overpaid.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

He really missed a golden opportunity by not doing an arrangement of White Christmas that incorporated the melody of White Wedding. Think about it... "I'm dreaming of a.... White Christmas." Seems like a no brainer.

5. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

"This Christmas" by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta. Revolting.

David G. and twicks like this.
  6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

It's only a 2-song release, but a Cocteau Twins Christmas release could've been SO lovely. Instead, "Frosty The Snowman" is goofy, and "Winter Wonderland" isn't as ethereal and floating as I'd hoped it'd be. I was pretty excited about this when I'd heard it was being released, but have never really been able to get into it.

[​IMG]

7. Trace

Trace Senior Member

How about the opposite? A Christmas record bought as a joke by someone you really don't care for, but it turns out to be pretty darned good. Here's mine....

[​IMG]

It's all traditional and I can't believe how much I like this. :help:

RSteven and Retro Hound like this.
  8. snowdog66

snowdog66 Forum Resident

Surprised no one has mentioned this one.

[​IMG]

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I did. Early in the thread. But I just said "Dylan's Christmas album".

I love Must Be Santa but can't stand anything else on here.

NotebookWriter and qwerty like this.
  10. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Gladys Knight is one of my all time all genre favorite singers, so I picked this up some years ago just like that.
    [​IMG]

I put it on and could not listen to it. What a disappointment. And on top of that it got mostly good reviews on Amazon.

I see she also did one by herself in 2006. I should probably pick that up instead, but I am a bit leery after the above one.

11. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

another shockingly bad Christmas album is this one:

[​IMG]

It's hard to understand how it could be so bad.

12. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Man, there are A LOT of artist on this thread that I didn't even know put out a Christmas album! I've just stuck with my Nat King Cole and Dean Martin I guess.

911s55 likes this.
  13. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

14. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I've gotta admit that I regard this as a work of perverse genius. I am not a blind and habitual defender of all things Bob and my first reaction to it, like most people's was WTF. But it is so wilfully strange that it must have been deliberate and I really like that aspect of it. It makes me smile.

Another vote here for the dreary Sting album though and an act for whom you would have thought Christmas music would be second nature but actually delivered two stinkers, the Carpenters.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  15. snowdog66

snowdog66 Forum Resident

Sorry I completely missed that. Dylans album was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread. I'm pretty sure its the only Christmas album I own.

mmars982 likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

His low, speak-sing voice just doesn't seem to fit the traditional songs well. In fact, my favorite track is the last one where he doesn't sing at all but just speaks. "Christmas As I Knew It"

Hardy Melville likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, Elvis' first Christmas album is flawed in itself. Side one is truly great, but side two is padded out with four previously-released non-Christmas songs that are not so hot. I love the good stuff on that album, but it's disappointing he didn't bother to do enough material for a full-length Christmas album, due to laziness or cheapness or whatever.

18. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yes indeed. I adore Olivia and own everything she's ever released, and This Christmas is just... terrible. It's like Olivia, John, and their guests were singing Christmas songs at a karaoke party.

19. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

The Monkees Christmas Party New songs are generic, forgettable and/or just not that good. Traditional songs are mostly badly produced and/or less than ideally produced.
    The Everly Brothers Christmas With The Everly Brothers And The Boystown Choir Same reasons listed in the OP
    Johnny Cash Classic Christmas Just doesn't sound inspired
    Harry Nilsson The Presence of Christmas The nadir of Nilsson's career.
    Dolly Parton Home for Christmas So terribly produced that I couldn't even finish the album. Awful. Note: I am not a fan of that late '80s sound that carried over into the early '90s
    Mandy Barnett Winter Wonderland I should like this. I want to like this. Just seems off. Doesn't hit the spot. Too generic sounding

I see some people mention Dylan's album, which I love. That album just gets better every year. There's something special going on in that album. I get not liking late era Dylan's singing and if you don't like late era Dylan, fine, but I love late era Dylan's singing, and if you love late era Dylan like me, then don't dismiss this album so easily: it's a gem.

On the flip side of the coin, I've been surprised at the number of artists whom I don't particularly care for on normal basis who turned in terrific Christmas albums. Something that I've noticed about Christmas albums is that it allows you some insight into what makes certain artists great that you may not "get" otherwise.

gsmile, RSteven and dylankicks like this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

21. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

That’s a compilation spanning his three Columbia Christmas albums plus one outtake. It’s ok for a bargain bin filler, but nothing to write home about. His 60s Christmas album is quite good, the 70s one a bit hokey, and the 80s one orchestral schlock.

czeskleba likes this.
  22. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Johnny Cash

Peggy Lee

23. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Yup, top 5 band for me. They were going through the motions on it. Not sure why they put it out.

Still hoping for one final studio album from them.

24. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I've had my eye on this album for years based on the title track and it's inclusion in the Christmas Vacation movie. Is it like that track throughout or is that the stand out track?

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Nope, closer to "brilliant". :agree:
    "Hey little sister, what's in your stocking...?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.