Disappointing Christmas album by an artist you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, me too!

Crimbo aside, I've really enjoyed the last couple of studio albums.

They managed to keep the bar at a very decent level!

Nice to converse with a fellow fan, by the way!

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought Gordon turned in a good, original perspective: "Soul Cake" was the best of them, and liked "You Only Cross My Mind" for the "left out in the cold" category.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe he should have invited Adele Dazeem to the soiree...

911s55 and David G. like this.
  4. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I've heard 4-5 songs on SiriusXM. Enough for me to consider never buying the album.

5. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Ringo's "I Wanna be Santa Claus" is awful. And I mean worse than "Bad Boy" and "Ringo the 4th".

Jimbo62, Rob Hughes and Pierino like this.
  6. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Same here. I'm a big Dylan fan and a big Christmas music fan but this album just doesn't cut it. Why so many slow songs and carols? Dylan's voice isn't suited for those kind of songs. I expected more of a rollicking, fun album, with more songs in the vein of "Must Be Santa". It's hard to sit through Christmas In The Heart .

mmars982 likes this.
  7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't like any of it, unfortunately.

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Without wanting to get into controversial territory, Baby It's Cold Outside is probably the stand out track.

I used to think the song from the Vacation movie was very lackluster, like little effort was put into writing it. But it has grown on me. Of course I always picture Chevy Chase crying when I hear it.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

shawn colvin - boring boring boring

10. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

[​IMG]

One might well think that the Louvins were the ideal team to record a Christmas record, but neither this nor the single, Santa's Big Parade, work for me at all.

11. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

I got rid of it so long ago I don't even remember. Sorry.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have an ex-girlfriend who's a major Dylan fan. I'm a moderate Dylan fan, but she just worships the man.

The year "Christmas in the Heart" hit, we visited my parents in Arizona and she wanted to listen to the album in the car while she and I drove around town.

How the relationship survived that car ride was a Christmas miracle! :D

She loved it - she literally loves every bleep and burp Dylan makes - but I wanted to jump out of the moving car about 20 seconds into the album, and it never got better from there.

I refused to let her play it again - I just couldn't stomach it. She thought it was great! :shrug:

Jimijam, 911s55, snowdog66 and 3 others like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm a big Dylan fan, but I guess it would be more accurate to say I'm a fan of 20th Century Dylan. None of his recent work does much for me... The deterioration of his voice is just too much. If he'd done a Christmas album in the 70s or even 80s I'd probably be into it.

A lot of disappointing Christmas albums fit into this category: an aging artist far past their prime cranking out a late-career Christmas record. It's not surprising when these records are letdowns. When an artist does a disappointing album while still at their peak, that's harder to understand.

RSteven likes this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Agreed, EXCEPT for "What Child is This" where he goes deep as if to say'I can do this anytime I feel like it, IF I feel like it'!

Retro Hound likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That was the main problem I had with the Dylan Christmas album - I just couldn't take that strained croak for all those songs!

When I listen to modern-day Dylan, I find myself with an almost irresistible urge to constantly clear my throat...

mmars982 likes this.
  16. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Paul Revere & The Raiders.

17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Ha! That was the first track I heard off that LP -- I went out and found a copy because of it! Little did I know that that track was going to be so superior to everything else on the LP.

geo50000 likes this.
  18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That album actually features some gorgeous orchestral work from noted Nashville arranger Bergen White, who almost made a living just doing great string and horn arrangements for many Nashville based artist's holiday albums over the years like Kenny Rogers, Barbara Mandrell, The Oak Ridge Boys, Wynonna, and many others. He also was one of Elvis Presley's favorite arrangers as well having been called on by Elvis to arrange his last two studio albums as well as arranging Elvis's stupendous version of Bridge Over Troubled Water in 1970.

Trace likes this.
  19. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Dylan -- it is almost like he thinks -- what will upset my longtime fans? A xmas album - sure. FIVE albums of Frank Sinatra covers -- 0k.

20. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I agree with this, but that album actually came out 14 years ago, back in 2004.

twicks likes this.
  21. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I've never heard of The Presence Of Christmas album. While it doesn't look like a Nilsson "album" per se', it appears that he does sing 5 songs. That you call it the nadir of his career frankly makes me want to hear it more! I'll consider myself warned. :D

As a Moody Blues die-hard, I'll nominate December as my biggest disappointment. I didn't love Strange Times, but had high hopes for what turned out to be their last studio album. Unfortunately, I find it terribly bland and a little trite. I still break it out every year for a re-evaluation, and always arrive at the same conclusion.

To your other point, @Brian Mc, this happened to me with Leona Lewis's Christmas, With Love. I had/have no use for her otherwise, but thought this album was fantastic. Maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for emulating the Phil Spector sound and covering Roy Wood!

Jimijam, phillyal1 and Brian Mc like this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I dig that Leona Lewis Christmas album as well.

popscene likes this.
  23. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

Yeah, it is a little bland, isn't it. December had potential; if they maybe would've included one more standard Christmas song. I add "What Child Is This?" to my version. The album has grown on me over the years, however.

popscene and Jimijam like this.
  24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think it's the best album he's released since Love and Theft!

DesertHermit and mmars982 like this.
  25. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

The BB King Christmas album (A Christmas Celebration of Hope) is pretty bland - ironically I had hoped for more :)

The James Brown one (Santa's Got A Brand New Bag) gets a bad rap, but I don't mind it so much. The title is definitely the pinnacle though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.