Disappointing Christmas album by an artist you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pigeon City

Pigeon City Indonesian and Asian Music Afficionado

I don’t really like Enya’s Christmas album. It’s a little too new age for Christmas. I have a Polish Christmas album with lots of synth sounds that I listen to. I don’t mind this MIDI sounding kids Xmas album I used to have either, even though Enya’s sounds like MIDI as well mixed with real stuff.

2. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

I could have written that! 100% agree.

I don't really care for Xmas albums. Slade said everything that needs to be said about Christmas in the three minutes of "Merry Xmas Everybody".

3. SWLABR

SWLABR Forum Resident

Can't say I'm a huge fan of She & Him, but I was really looking forward to their (1st) Christmas album, and blah.... it missed the mark.

I wonder though, could their version of Baby It's Cold Outside still be played on radio? They flip the roles... he's doing all the No, no, no's, and she's sayin' all the stay, stay, stays...

4. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Hmm, I love Christmas albums but they are usually by artists I dont normally listen to. My favorite ones are by Johnny Mathis and Neil Diamond but I listen to nothing else by them. It doesn’t really fit the thread title but somehow I ended up with a Kenny G Christmas album, and it is as poor as you’d expect.

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

^^^^ This ^^^^

While I'm not a big fan of Christmas music, I figured I'd give The Monkees' "Christmas Party" a try, since I like their other output, and I figured I'd buy it if for no other reason than to support them*... Upon first spinning it, it was about what I expected it would be-Nothing great, but my expectations were low since this is a CD of holiday music... I'll probably play it again now that we're this much closer to the holiday, but I don't envision playing it again anytime soon... Even Nesmith's tracks don't really cut it for me...

* This is the only time I've ever bought a Monkees release for the sole reason of throwing some support their way... Every other album of theirs I already knew I liked it or I figured it would have at least something on it that I'd like...

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Dylan. His voice sounds like sandpaper to me. :(

7. Grand_Ennui

I ended up with a copy of Jewel's Christmas CD by mistake... Without checking out if the correct disc was in the case, I bought what I thought was a copy of "Pieces of You", and when I got home, I was surprised to find the Christmas CD in there instead... I haven't played it, even though I like Jewel's singing... (And yes, now every time I buy a CD at that particular thrift store I make sure what I want is in the case.)

seed_drill likes this.
  8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

His Christmas special however was a hoot!

ianuaditis and elaterium like this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

I agree that it probably would have been a better idea for an album in their prime, but in a way I'm glad they didn't do one back then... Why? : Because even though they were trying to shed their "plastic" image, I could picture their detractors calling a Christmas album a step-backwards and would have really been calling them "sell-outs"...

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Hysterical

vudicus likes this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I got excited when I heard that he was doing a Christmas album, because I thought his cover of Freddie King's "Christmas Tears" from A Very Special Christmas LIVE was epic. Then I heard it on Apple Music and I thought..."What? This is so disgraceful!" The worst part...he didn't even revisit "Christmas Tears"!

Rod Stewart's was a bit of a letdown, too. "Red Suited Superman" is okay, though. The Rod who was singing "Gasoline Alley", "Had Me A Real Good Time", "Miss Judy's Farm", "Cindy Incidentally" or "Stay With Me" would never have resorted to a Christmas LP!

12. I liked their first couple of albums enough but their Christmas album left me cold. And I own dozens of Christmas albums, so it wasn't the song choices. It felt like an album they quickly recorded as a marketing cash-in.

SWLABR likes this.
  13. DanaDotCom

DanaDotCom Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more with the votes for June Cater Cash's "Figgy Pudding" as just an atrocious embarrassment. She comes across as an uncultured, ignorant hick--something she certainly is not. There is no humor in this track at all.

I have to say that the 1st 2 volumes of the A Very Special Christmas compilations used to get played very regularly in my house (many tracks from those albums still do), but every volume issued after those has been grasping at the end of a rope to assemble a so-so collection. All combined can barely spare enough tracks to make one decent volume.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  14. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I'd have to third (or fourth?) the Ray Charles Christmas CD. It was so surprisingly bland that it was super disappointing.

I was expecting more from James Taylor's as well. It's not BAD, per se, just kind of boring.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    RSteven likes this.
  15. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Same with me. I've tried to get into it for years. Well, this year it finally clicked. I really enjoyed it for the first time. Maybe it's just me getting old.

jmobrien68 likes this.
  16. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Me too!
    Listened to it Friday night and really enjoyed it!

spsimmons likes this.
  17. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

He’s not the messiah.

SWLABR likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I wouldn't have purchased it if I didn't like Jewel's singing. I was just hoping for something a lot more folksie and semi-acoustic. Not something from her mainstreaming period with bland full on orchestration and pop oversinging. It would be fine over the PA at a mall, I guess.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

After after hearing how good this is:
    [​IMG]

I could not believe how bad this is:
    [​IMG]

RSteven likes this.
  20. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

All the different tastes on this site never cease to amaze:) My wife and I love his Christmas album and so do most of the people I play it for:)
    I love all the diverse opinions and tastes here!
    Merry Christmas, everybody!
    I'm thankful for this site and all the fine, music-nutty people who inhabit this cave!

bobbydriver and carlwm like this.
  21. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

I love this both of these, too! They are among my favorite more "recent" Christmas albums. Especially the one from Christmas Vacation:)
    I had high hopes for Clapton's, wishing it would be in the same vein as his last few, but I found that one a little boring.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Four Seasons Christmas album from the 60s sounds like finger nails on a chalk board to me.

rod likes this.
  23. But it's still better than 3/4ths of all the solo albums he's done since about 1992.

I won't effervesce its praises at great length, but I actually don't mind Sting's winter/xmas album -- and we usually give it a spin every year.

Who doesn't like madrigals? Not even his first (or second) foray into this territory -- first dating back to 1987...

24. I wouldn't say it's nails on chalk, but I was disappointed after hearing it.

RSteven likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Screechy "Shari, Shari Baby" vocals just do not work on Christmas songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.