Disappointing movies built around Beatles songs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcnpauls, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's a pretty funny movie.

JediJones likes this.
  2. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

Not seen it but have already dismissed it as Richard Curtis (is he involved?) style awful. Watch it to see what happens when the Beatles and their songs are only known to one man who can exploit that for his own ends? Don't need to be because I saw it nearly 30 years ago in 'Goodnight Sweetheart'. If you not from the UK, that was a 90s sitcom about a man who finds a time portal back to WW2 London. One of the running gags was him playing and singing Beatles songs at the piano in an East End pub and passing them off as his own.

3. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

Forgotten no more! The recent Criterion release is worth picking up. It's a fun movie with some fantastically well-directed sequences. The only thing that may ruin it for you is
    hearing the over-the-mop-top accents they give the off-screen Beatles.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  4. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I enjoyed it; it was more of a rom-com than I thought it was going to be, and the execution of the concept--everyone forgot the Beatles--was never really explained, but it was still fun.

And I also enjoyed ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, but the clerk thinking those songs were better than the original? Hilarious, except for one--"Hold Me Tight" was just joyous in the movie; I loved how it switched back from the UK to the USA.

JcS

5. Rather than dwell on disappointment, I'm going to hijack this thread for a moment and recommend a wonderful little film by way of Spain, 2013's Vivir Es Fácil Con Los Ojos Cerrados (Living Is Easy With Eyes Closed), a road movie of a sort that ostensibly revolves around a high school English teacher's quest to meet John Lennon during Lennon's time in Almeria for the 1966 filming of How I Won The War.

Bonus: Adding to the enjoyment, the film's original soundtrack score was composed and performed by Pat Metheny.

[​IMG]

Thanks for indulging me. We now return you to your regularly scheduled disappointment. :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    mike s in nyc likes this.
  6. GregM

GregM The expanding man

[​IMG]

JediJones likes this.
  7. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I loved the movie Yesterday

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Robert Zemeckis' first film) is pretty great.

nedison likes this.
  9. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I think it's a great film, apart from a few anachronistic problems, it's probably the best Beatles-related movie there is.

10. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

[​IMG]

Has anyone seen this Norwegian film from a few years back?

Is it any good? :)whistle:Norwegian Wood...:whistle:)

11. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

Anyone remember this British sitcom? All the characters and episodes were named after Beatles songs

[​IMG]

12. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

Beat Bugs is pretty great for the kids...

[​IMG]

13. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I remember Paul McCartney was disappointed with the Twist and Shout sequence in Ferris Bueller because the marching band played tubas over the song.

14. All this and world war whatever...

mcnpauls likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.