Disc Doctor Stylus Cleaner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by buster193, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buster193

buster193 New Member Thread Starter

How often
    should I use excluding the obvious when the stylus is visibly dirty................many thanks.............I find surface noise reduced after application................:thumbsup:

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah. A clean styli is a happy styli! :)

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I check my stylus after every LP side. If I see build-up, I clean it. I usually don't let it go for more than three or four LP sides between cleanings, at most.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I used to apply cleaner before every side but after some time I started to look at myself as one anal boob. I now use the cleaner at the start of a listening session. I do however use a dry stylus brush before each side, oh, no, I'm an anal boob..... :)

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I still do, but I'm not an anal boob. More like a neurotic boob. ;)

I do know it doesn't take long for dirt to be baked onto the stylus from the high heat generated by tracking. That'll effectively change the shape of the stylus, which will essentially transform it into a vinyl chisel.

Having said that, Todd's method of using a dry brush between fluid cleanings oughta be relatively safe, provided the fluid intervals are spaced reasonably close together.

Doesn't Linn or somebody provide some sort of mildly abrasive strip for dry stylus cleaning? Sounds a bit harsh, but I've never heard much mention of them.

For anybody who cleans for every side of an LP like I do, I'd recommend the Zerodust stylus cleaner. Fast, easy and highly effective. Can't beat that.

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Anal Boob?

Have you seen a doctor about this?
    :p
    Peace
    Norm

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I don't see any reason not to clean the stylus before every side. You use so little per cleaning. Right now I'm using the Record Research stuff but I think I like the LAST stylus cleaner better (not Stylast).

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Has anyone tried that gel product that amusicdirect.com is selling? It's like a little cake of gel, you gently lower the tone arm setting the stylus into it. It grabs the gunk off when you raise the arm....
    :righton: or not?

9. JPartyka

Ere:
    I believe you're referring either to the Zerodust product, which Arin mentioned, or the similar but less expensive Extreme Phono stylus cleaner, which I use (and would recommend). Those short-bristled stylus-cleaning brushes always made me nervous, and the E.P. cleaner seems to work well for me ...

10. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Yeah, I think that concept is pretty slick. It costs more, but it lasts longer, too. You wouldn't think it would work as well as a brush, but it sure does.

Of this type of cleaner, I've only used Zerodust, but obviously the Extreme Phono cleaner Jeff's talkin' about works on the same premise. So fast, it's a piece of cake. It's important, though, to avoid any lateral movement when lowering the stylus into it. This could potentially snap the stylus off the cantilever.

Remember, fellas...just because you can't see dirt with the naked eye doesn't mean it's not there. With the amount most of us have invested in vinyl (a lot of which would be really difficult to replace) and equipment, it's better to regularly clean that stylus and err on the side of caution. Afterall, it only takes 30 seconds or so. Awfully easy for something so important.

11. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Jeff turned me on to Extreme Phono product. And it seems to work very well as long as you pay attention and don't let your stylus sit in it ,just let it touch it and lift it up quickly.

12. JPartyka

Yep, it's really easy to use, and if you're careful it's very safe. I just lower the stylus very briefly into the material, twice for good measure. I use a penlight and jeweler's magnifier to view the stylus before and after, and the stuff really works.

13. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies on the Zero Dust and Extreme Phono stylus cleaning gels. I will pick some up when my TT moratorium ends. I'm not using it until I get new styli for the two cartridges I plan to use - one for regular play an Ortophon Super OM 30 and the other for limited back cueuing when I am recording for tight segues, a Stanton DiscMaster AL.

Definitely. I have a good selection of Japanese pressings from the 80s and lots and lots of 12" promo singles (these sound great), mostly Gabriel, Genesis, Talking Heads, Kate Bush, Pretenders, &c. I played them sparingly back in the day and I want them to last a good long time when I break them out:)

Ere

14. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Is using isopropyl alcohol for cleaning the stylus a no-no? I checked the local hifi-shops and they had no stylus cleaning solutions but suggested that propably isopropyl alcohol does the job. I'm kinda suspicious...

15. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I'd stay away from alcohol or alcohol-based stylus cleaning fluids. Over time, they can dissolve the epoxy used to mount the stylus to the cantilever. Avoid anything containing oils, too.

In fact, avoid hi-fi shops while you're at it. ;)

16. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Thanks, Arin! Priceless info. Hi-fi shops, yeah, don't get me started...

BTW, I've been playing LPs for years, but the first time I heard about stylus cleaning solutions was here in this forum. :thumbsup:

17. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Essential stuff, stylus cleaning. Alcohol-based fluids probably won't dissolve epoxy, but they *can*. I know it happens on occasion. Just a caution. Pure alcohol would definitely be a no-no, however.

When there are products that are 100% safe while still being highly effective, why take a chance, ya know?

18. stever

stever Senior Member

Zerodust is indeed an easy, effective product. I use it as needed, usually before each listening session.

19. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The other important aspect of the Zerodust or similar is that it cleans the entire stylus. Most brushing, no matter the solution used, only gets the leading edge and sides of the stylus; the Zerodust gets the front, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.