Discography Info Online - Best Sites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I love accurate, detailed discography information. Sites like jazzdisco.org I think sites like this fill an important gap in the digital era, where liner notes and discography information are hard to come by. If you have a favorite band or artist, which website do you turn to first for discography information (and possibly liner notes) about that artist?

Here are a few examples...

Miles Davis
    Charlie Parker
    Elvis Presley

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Discogs and AllMusic are good enough. Wikipedia is also good.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Discogs all the way. Allmusic and SHF for reviews.

ARK and thnkgreen like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I use Discogs almost exclusively, unless a listing there happens to be missing any needed songwriting or performance credits, then I go elsewhere. Wikipedia can be good for band personnel and song credits, but I find they are habitually wrong on album release-schedules
    ( typically off by one year) in many instances, and sometimes two separate pages will contradict one another. I guess it is to be expected occasionally when anyone can edit the text at any time.

5. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

RYM (rate your music).

A huge omission on Jazzdisco.org is that they only include the recording dates, and not the release date of a record.

6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

7. thnkgreen

trednour and Aftermath like this.
  8. thnkgreen

This site has an incredible amount of information about The Beatles, but (I may be overlooking it) I don't see a sessionography. I'd love to find a detailed sessionography online for both The Beatles and Oasis.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. drift

drift Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Two of my favorites:

the Elvis Costello Wiki: The Elvis Costello Wiki

Mike Fulmer's Church Discography: The Church Discography - This has been credited in numerous official Church CDs (though the site has a new URL compared to the one in the CDs

I made my own for the Waterboys and made a good dent in it before Google determined I was a robot and permanently deleted my account. :mad: I'd do it again, but Google Sites is the only good free website builder, but every single time I use it, my account gets shut down. Also considering doing one for Cotton Mather - much smaller discography and I'm friends with the leader so it would be a lot easier to get information!

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

Oh how could I forget GBVDB??

GBVDB - Guided By Voices Database

Robert Pollard records about ten songs per day and this site has details on every single one of them.

12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Wikipedia for quick and casual info
    Duscogs if I want mastering info

Done.

ARK likes this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

When I make obsessive lists of tracks artists released, I usually go by Discogs to get the bulk of it and then look for dedicated sites (like the ones I posted above) to fill in the gaps. If a dedicated site doesn't exist, I have to get creative. I really need to redo my Waterboys one - it was going very well until my account got shut down for the unforgivable crime of using their web builder. :mad:

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Discogs
    Wikipedia
    RYM

ARK likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. 2tec

2tec Active Member

17. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

jlf, abzach and rufus t firefly like this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Beatles Bible has a history section which contains sessionography entries alongside the live shows, radio shows and other important event entries.

You can also start from the end of the Studio-categorized pages and work backwards through all the recording-specific entries.

https://www.beatlesbible.com/category/studio/page/29/

19. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

RYM and Discogs

Fan sites for everyone I can care enough about

ARK likes this.
  20. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Is there a website that has Pink Floyd recording session information? More specifically I am looking for recording dates for “Ummagumma” and “Atom Heart Mother” songs.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

A lot of major artists have thorough and details sessionographies and discographies of the sort you've linked to above, because they have scholars who have done a lot of research on the material. There's Michael Minn's Sarah Vaughan discography -- The Sarah Vaughan Discography -- and a good Billie Holiday sessionography here -- RECORDING SESSIONS | Billie Holiday Songs

A great Fletcher Henderson sessionography -- Fletcher Henderson - Recordings

Hep Alien and jlf like this.
  22. trednour

trednour Forum Resident

Well, if you'll allow me to toot my own horn for a moment.

Seasons In Your Mind

I've been working on this for many, many years. It primarily covers the years 1967-71 covering each "season" of the year, with pages for 65 & 66. Each major artist has complete chronological order of singles and albums, along with other important events in their career. All pages have links to Discogs, 45cat, and Wiki along with official or fan-based websites. There's even a few links to discussions here. And the big guys (Beatles, Stones) have a PDF with an alphabetical listing of their songs and where they made their first appearance (US or UK). I didn't forget post-1971 albums, as there are over 35 of them and in-line notations of recently released old concerts on CD.
    But wait, there's so much more.
    Mostly complete SF & NYC concert info from 67-71; pages of festivals; movie, radio, and TV pages; a vitals pages (birth/death info in calendar form); pages for legends (Berry, et al), Motown, on-off albums, and compilations (including a page for the Warner/Reprise Loss Leaders).
    Nope, not done yet.
    Each "season" also has the Top Singles from WABC and NME, major events, and movies released on a handy roll-over. And each "season" page has an Easter Egg about something that happened (with pertinent music). Plus more EEs scattered through-out (total of 30+).
    Background info.
    Couple of pages set out the reason behind all this hand-coded nonsense. Right now, I'm compiling a list of UK release dates so that I can add with the US counterpart. A lot of website make no distinction and that's really confusing. I made a significant update this spring trying to fix album release dates (very important to me, lol). I update this weekly, correcting mistakes or adding new stuff. Try it out on your desktop or tablet--not made for smart phones. Just dive in and start looking around. I don't think you'll be bored.
    Edit to add that all the artists early stuff is there, not just 65-71. Wanted to clear that up.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Hep Alien likes this.
  23. thnkgreen

Thanks!! I've used the Billie Holiday site many, many times.

24. thnkgreen

I tip my hat to you. This is great work!!

trednour likes this.
  25. trednour

trednour Forum Resident

Thanks. I keep finding more stuff to add, like the TV Guide items. Keeps me off the streets and busy!

thnkgreen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.