Discogs - Accept Cookies Popup and Data Mining!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Skull, Aug 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skull

Skull Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was a hold out for many years and in the past couple of years have become an avid fan and buyer from Discogs. All of a sudden MID VIEW MIND YOU!, all of a sudden I get this cookies popup. I literally was looking at a page and everything was fine and it popped up without warning and I can't decline it.

I am not interested in discogs mining my data. Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks! :laugh:

2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

What data do you believe this cookie is mining?

3. kings81

kings81 Forum Resident

Oh man its terrible.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Were you logged in?

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I got one too.
    I accepted.
    Gripping, ain't it ?

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've long ago given up on trying to fight this data mining process. I wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed that Google was putting microphones and webcams in mosquitoes or ants to collect data about us. Discogs doesn't have ads when you're signed in (thank God!), so I'm not sure what they're collecting cookies for. Probably selling them to Facebook to help fund their servers. At any rate, I remember this pop-up happening months ago. I turned off everything that I could and just let that be it.

Hate to say it, but if you don't want your data mined, you'd probably have to get rid of everything electronic that you own and live in a cave. And I'm not sure of an effective, simple DIY way to create natural air conditioning in the cave to prevent your records from warping.

aperfecttool likes this.
  7. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

no

Jack and Myke like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I closed the window and did not accept and that seemed to be the end of it. I've also started using the Brave browser with DuckDuckGo search and trying to stray away from Google completely.

Skull likes this.
  9. Skull

Just trying to fight the good fight! :laugh:

There was no warning, no way to opt out or no email saying, 'we are going to be doing this in the next month'. So it was just a surprise. I mean even though we're still a part of this experiment called the internet doesn't mean we have to completely give up our rights, no matter how trivial they might be to some.

Thanks for the input everyone.

10. Skull

Ha! I've done that with a few other sites, mainly news sites, but Discogs! It bums be out...

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just saw that popup again and turned it off. I turned off the "Sell My Data" privacy settings there.

Maybe in California we have more privacy protections.

I also got this notice:

California Privacy Notice
    [​IMG]
    Discogs
    December 12, 2019 03:05

CALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE

Effective date: January 1, 2020

Below please find important information for California consumers (“You” or “Your”) related to the services provided by Zink Media, LLC (d/b/a Discogs) and our affiliates (“We”, “Our” “Us” or “Discogs”) pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act. This notice applies to the personal information We collect on Our websites, discogs.com (including subdomains) and nearmint.io, and through any associated service, including applications and Application Program Interfaces (“APIs”), (collectively, the “Service”).

Additional information about Our privacy practices is detailed in Our Privacy Policy. You can contact Us about Our Privacy Policy and Our practices via Our Help Center or at privacy [at] discogs [dot] com.

Right to Know About Personal Information Collected

We collect certain categories of information about You when You visit or use Our Service. The list of categories, including the business or commercial purpose, and additional disclosure information is set forth in the “Information Collected” and “Information Sharing and DIsclosure” sections of Our Privacy Policy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information/Notice of Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information

We allow targeting, performance, and social media cookies to be placed on Our sites by third parties for other valuable consideration for the purpose of targeted advertising by programmatic advertisers, analytics for Service performance reviews and improvements, and social media interactions, respectively. These third parties use information from cookies, such as Your geolocation and browsing behavior to serve You personalized advertisements. We do not otherwise “sell” (as defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act) any personal information. If You are a California site visitor or user, then You must select the “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” link available on the Service to block (opt out of) all targeting, performance, and social media cookies from Our Service on Your device. Opting out via the link will place a strictly necessary cookie on Your device to identify You in future interactions with Our Service so that targeting, performance, and social media cookies are not placed during those subsequent interactions. Since this action must be performed by a person using Your device, We do not conduct any identity verification with respect to Your exercise of this right. You may contact Us at privacy [at] discogs [dot] com for additional information about Your opt out rights. Please see the Cookie and Internet Advertising Policy for additional information about cookies on or related to Our Service and steps You can take with respect to those cookies and Our Privacy Policy for additional information about Our practices.

Right to Know and Right to Delete

You may submit a request for the categories and/or specific information that We have collected about you or a request that We delete any personal information about You that We have collected, subject to certain exceptions. Refer to the “Your Right to Access, Alter, or Erase Your Personal Information” section of the Privacy Policy for information on submitting requests pursuant to Your Right to Know and Right to Delete.

Skull likes this.
  12. Skull

Maybe you do.

I don't see where to turn off the "Sell My Data" privacy settings on the pop up. Oh, and I didn't get an email informing of the change.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The popup is dated 2019, so it may have started long ago.

I had to scroll down on it to see the off button and then save preferences button as well. If you turn it off and forget to scroll down further one could miss the save setting. I did the first time, and it did not save.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It kinda looks like Discogs is going corporate, and is acting like they want to sell it off to a major shareholder, or go public. Something seems off, just as they reach a peak in sales.

15. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

(3) Of course, you may object to the processing of your personal data for advertising and data analysis purposes at any time. You can inform us regarding your objection to advertising via: [email protected]

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

If it's important to them to know a Canadian bought a Beatles album, they can go right ahead. :)

17. Skull

What not Rush! LOL! :laugh: (My favorite band of all time!)

18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

They can try to serve whatever cookies and trackers they want. I trust U-block and Ghostery to stop them.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought this was going to be about Discogs doing bitcoin mining while you were using the site--something that would definitely make me stop using them.

But this is just about accepting cookies? No issue.

Myke likes this.
  20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

How did you do that? Under manage consent preferences, a number of things say "always active" and I don't seem to have an opportunity to change those settings. I'm in Chrome, BTW.

21. Skull

OMG! Is that thing?!?! :eek:

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

23. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

They don't need to. They're putting all this into our smartphones already.

24. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

this plus pi-hole is my solution.

25. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

by law they all have to get you to accept cookies because of restrictions made in the EU.
    In reality nothings different than it always has been they just have to get you to acknowledge it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.