Discogs and PayPal honour their obligations

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by laughalot, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Long story. I will summarise. Bought an album from Discogs. Came Warped. Asked seller for refund. He refused, told me to go to the postal service for a refund. Reported him to Discogs and filed a claim with PayPal. Received refund today. Seller was forced to refund me by Discogs who told him that if he did not refund his account would be suspended. This was Discogs response to his refusal to refund. "your seller is responsible for seeing that albums arrive safe even when insured post is not paid for."

Financial obligations of seller.
    From time to time you will have to deal with lost and damaged items in transit. Please remember that it is your responsibility to make sure items arrive and are not damaged, even when a buyer has not paid for registered/insured shipping. To protect yourself as a seller, it might be helpful to provide this as standard practice.

Bottom line. Discogs honour their obligations. Paypal also found in my favour and would have issued a refund had the seller not.

rod, tmtomh, Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Good for them, and you ! A seemingly rare case of accountability, albeit FORCED !

Apparently the seller got a good spanking and responded in kind...and didn't defend an indefensible !

laughalot likes this.
  3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Provided you don't get in trouble here (if it's not against the forum rules, that is), I'd name/shame the seller.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  4. laughalot

Seller was a guy by the name of XXXXXXXXX. His Discogs handle is Xelcior

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

So, just how warped was this LP?

6. laughalot

Completely unplayable on any turntable.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Just to play that proverbial devil's advocate, what documentation (pictures, etc) did discog and paypal ask before deciding? I have heard many stories of paypal always siding with the buyer when it was the buyer who was fraudulent. How did they decide that your claim was valid?

8. laughalot

Firstly I suspected the album was warped even before I opened it, so took pictures of the packaging and had a witness.

Sent them pictures of the warped album. (Would love to post them here but do not know how). Also my dialogue with the seller was crucial.

I wanted to send the album back for a refund, so he could see the damage (not just a picture) but he flatly refused to even consider it.

In cases like this it is vital that you have pictures etc.

One further point is that Discogs insisted on a refund.

And one further point, to prove I was not just trying to get out of a sale, showed both Discogs and PayPal that I had re-ordered the same album from a different seller at a considerable higher cost.

9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Do not misunderstand my question. I am asking what documentation payal/discog required? I have heard stories that PayPal always sides w buyer.

10. laughalot

I understood the question. They required proof that the album arrived damaged. They did give the seller the opportunity to respond to the claim.

See first post for seller financial obligations as per Discogs rules.

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've just had my first bad experience on discogs. Ordered a half-dozen records from overseas (UK) and they've never arrived - it's been well over a month.

I'm fairly new to discogs and am kind of unsure how to proceed. The seller never marked my items as "shipped", but I'm assuming he did ship them (he has plenty of good feedback), and I'm guessing he's not gonna be keen to refund 50GBP worth of stuff. Suggestions?

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

If you paid with Paypal, go to their resolution center. Paypal is notorious for taking the buyer's side in disputes. It is one of their short comings many times, but for you it may be an asset.

13. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

How were they shipped? If it was via one of the slower, cheaper services (e.g., surface mail), I'd probably allow six weeks before getting really concerned. Have you contacted the seller yet to ask if he used a trackable service?

14. mrjinks

Thanks to both of you for responding. I'm still waiting to hear from the seller before I figure out how to proceed, but I'll update here when I do...

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I noticed you bought these from a UK seller. I've had some issues with items posted form the UK. Not because the postal company was slow but because the seller chose a postage option that was slow. Ask the seller what postage option he used. There's one option which is very cheap for international shipments but it's a 6-12 week delivery window. I bet that's the option he went with.

16. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Do they really still have that "surface mail" thing in Europe/UK?

17. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

They still have it in Canada. Takes about 6 weeks for something to get to Europe.

18. mrjinks

I sure HOPE these things are coming, but I looked back and my paypal payment was made on May 1st. I paid £12.25 in shipping for an LP, a 12" single and three 7" singles. I figured maybe 2-3 weeks as that's what I'm used to with overseas orders. On June 5th, I got frustrated and sent a message asking why the seller still had these listed as "payment pending" and not "shipped". He told me he'd get back to me on June 8th, as he was away. He didn't get back to me, so on June 15th I sent another message. He said he was away again, but would get back to me on Jun 18 (it's now early on the 19th in the UK)...

Seller feedback is >7000 w/99.4% positive.

Meanwhile I bought another 7" from a different UK seller (on ebay) on June 5th and it arrived on June 15th - no issues. Several other foreign items are currently in transit...

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

12 pounds is enough to cover that parcel via airmail from the UK - definitely not slow "surface mail". I get enough stuff from there on a consistent basis to be able to tell you this.

20. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Teo and company are good people IMO.

21. mrjinks

Not sure if that's related to my post(s) above, but I don't believe that's the same vendor I purchased from...

22. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I'm referring to teo, the head guy/guy that started discogs.

23. mrjinks

Ahh - got it. Thanks!

NOTE: I should correct my post above, but since it's too late, I'll mention it here. It wasn't "50 GBP" of stuff, it was only 41GBP (incl. postage).

phish likes this.
  24. mrjinks

Well, the seller I was dealing with kept saying he would respond to questions and then (three times) he didn't respond when he said he would or offered overly vague responses. Eventually, I created a discogs help ticket and a paypal dispute. He never responded to either and after about eight additional days, the discogs staff guy sent him an email telling him that the buyer (me) was still trying to resolve this. BINGO! Suddenly he awoke and immediately refunded my money...

It's odd - he had thousands of good feedback comments, I never understood why he (a) never marked the items shipped and (b) never responded to my questions in a timely sense. Oh well - bummer. He had good prices on a half dozen items that I'll now have to purchase elsewhere.

Thanks @hbbfam & @Dave Garrett for your help!

25. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I hope PayPal can be of any help in my case.
    In May, a Japanese guy won one of my eBay auctions for a Beatles single.
    I sent him the record, which he received a few days later but then he asked for a refund because, according to him, the record description didn't match the actual condition of the record.
    I was very much aware that the record was in more than fine condition and that my description was accurate, but I immediately issued him a refund nonetheless.
    Since then, not only have I not received the record back, but the guy has been ignoring all my email messages to him. He actually replied just once, saying that "he would ge back in touch with me next Monday"... and that was more than one month ago!
    Now I have had to open a dispute case with PayPal, since eBay seems unable to do anything about it...
    It's not a huge amount, but it's all a matter of principle and being honest.
    I probably should have waited to have the record back to issue a refund, but since the guy seemed to have 100% positive feedback I didn't beware....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.