Discogs Grading System Translated

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oscillation, Mar 16, 2022.

1. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Yeah, I eventually got a full refund (I did not leave any feedback) but it was like pulling teeth. Definitely an error compounded by the seller being a bit dumb about his handling of it.

2. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Alright, I've got another strange case if anyone is interested. This one involves a very good and honest eBay seller. I bought a record that was visually VG++ and fairly graded as such. But then when I played it this is how A1 sounded:

I really don't consider myself super picky but that sounds like an unusually extreme amount of surface noise to me. And I got the same results on two different turntables. Am I crazy? That noise continued through all of the first song, then the rest of the first side had a more subtle persistent crackle (disappointing but not terrible) and side 2 was an acceptable VG+. I gave it a wet clean but that didn't help.

The seller is very easy to work with so he let me return it and gave me a full refund (I insisted on covering the return shipping cost or subtracting the original shipping costs from my refund but the seller refunded me the full amount anyway), so no complaints there.

What has me questioning my sanity is that after the seller got the record back he's saying he doesn't hear any issues and that both sides sound the same. Very strange ...

3. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like heat damage to my ears and the way the tonearm is pulling a bit

ETSEQ likes this.
  4. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Thank you, that’s very interesting. I wasn’t aware that’s what heat damage sounded like.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Neither did I but if he's right I do now and I know now what's causing the same thing on other records I have :)

6. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

That's been my experience, sometimes the vinyl will look perfect but a tiny bit of a snake skin appearance