Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Discogs has gone grey

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Eno_Fan, Nov 2, 2020.

1. John D.

John D. Forum Resident

No problem logging on just now with Chrome, opened right up into my collection.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

This has nothing to do whatsoever with the new shipping policies ASP and therefore is off-topic.

GentleSenator likes this.
  3. Paul W

Paul W Forum Resident

It took some doing, but I managed to get policies in place for the U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan, UK and a few other select places.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

If you can afford to hold out for six months or more maybe they will bow down and concede. But most folks need their income off of those sales.

I did a simple shipping setup for international. I still don't feel it is set up right. When I tried to set it for an individual format like CD and then country it rejected it. When I set it to All Items for a country it accepted it. Then I added LP below that. So I am not sure CD is correct or not and will find out later. For now, at least US shipping is set right.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I take my postal receipts from the PO and mark them when I got home with what each item is. If I have an item sent to Germany at $24.00. I put 1 LP next to that price. So over the last six months, I have all these prices with what the item was on a drawer full of these receipts. And I can fill in the amounts from there. I have some 3, 4, 5, and 6 LP box sets, and those will get complicated. So I'll need to weigh them as they have booklets and slightly more weight to the box itself. I am (in my head) almost up on shipping costs now. As I quit selling on ebay years ago and kind of lost track of the rising associated International shipping costs.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

eBay used to (maybe they still do) give out advice to their sellers and say things like "take a loss on shipping as it's good for business in the long run." Or we're raising our fees, but it should not have any effect, just "raise your prices to include this new seller expense."

It seemed like every 3 months there was a new policy that resulted in less profits and less control of my sale until I just bolted. Really abusive. Then things like buyer info disappearing other than name and shipping address. Even the buyer email address disappeared from PayPal transaction page. I'm not sure if it returned once PayPal was sold off. But I felt the walls were closing in on me at eBay. Discogs has a long way to go to get that bad. But I sure hope it is not heading that direction.

Maybe someone should start harvesting and planting the database over to another site, and get ready for the day Discogs crosses the final line? Some good code writers could actually scan Discogs site, and grab everything including the pictures.

Gumboo and Eric_Generic like this.
  7. peteham

peteham Forum Resident

Thanks for this, though I ended up pulling everything off Discogs. It was just too aggravating.

8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

It's November 13 and I am still only selling to customers here in the USA. I had lot's of international customers before this complication screw-job was laid upon us by the doofuses at the 'Scogs but to hell with it; there's really no way to set a shipping policy that will have actual real life shipping totals not be completely out of whack against what get calculated on that site when an order for two or more items comes in.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But most sellers can't afford to just say goodbye and cancel out their listings. I am employed full-time other than the covid reduced hours, which is why I went over to Discogs and loaded up a bunch of stuff. For the first time in 6-7 years, I had time to actually sit down and do record grading and everything it takes.

I wanted this horrible time that we are in to be at least useful and somewhat productive. There have been short periods when I was living off of record and CD sales. It really takes the fun out of it when it's your main gig. Don't tell anyone, but I actually took boxes top work at my night job where I am alone most of the shift, and I brought in my laptop and boxes of LPs and sat there all night loading them up at Discogs on the wi-fi. That was a pretty cool use of company time.

I want to have 1000 items up at all times. So I got about 1,160 up, with 100 sold, so I can relax maybe until 60 more titles move before I must add more I really do enjoy everything about records, buying cleaning collecting, needle dropping, and then selling for a profit. And I bought so many thrift store LPs in the past 20 years, including things I have little real interest in, but they were unique and condition so nice - made me grab them. I just would not want to rely on this for a living.

I am thinking about grabbing CDs more often now. I am thinking that the ultra-clean stuff, nicer issues, less common ones are going to go up in value in another 5 to 8 years. I think I am going to put up CD shelves behind the clothes on the closet, and just start grabbing all the good .50 and $1.00 stuff of good classic titles when condition looks nearly new. A very small investment on hot collectible artists and classic titles.

In other words, I need Discogs right now.