Discogs: Is there no way to get alerts when a wishlist item is posted?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by manicpopthrill, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident Thread Starter

A holy grail of mine turned up last month on Discogs (first one in five years), and I was SOL. I thought you were supposed to get alerts when an item on your wishlist appears. Otherwise, why the hell bother?

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Bummer. I've never found those alerts to work. I figure I wasn't destined to have that copy....so I just keep on looking.

3. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I assume by "wishlist" you mean "wantlist."
    Go to Settings, then click on Notifications, and make sure you have the appropriate options checked. You can receive notifications both in your Discogs inbox or via your personal email, or both. I would suggest checking both options. I know this works as I constantly get emails for items on my "wantlist" -- typically from the same pain-in-the-butt sellers who respost their sale list almost daily. In fact, I wish I could block some of these sellers from my "wantlist" but can't seem to find an option for that.

4. manicpopthrill

Okay, I didn't see those, but when I went into them I find they were already defaulted to notify me both ways. Yet, I can guarantee I never got one via email, and there isn't one in messages either. I guess I can uncheck them, save, and then check the boxes and save again. What a tremendous bummer.

5. manicpopthrill

It wouldn't bother me so much, but this was only the fourth one to ever come up for sale. I finally got smart and added it to my wantlist about a year ago and then it doesn't even notify me.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Been there. Heck....still there!

7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I can't speak about instant notifications, but I get an email every night from discogs about new listings of my wantlist items.

Lost In The Flood and Dave like this.
  8. manicpopthrill

I don't even see a link to report possible bugs like this.

9. manicpopthrill

Found this:
    If Discogs Notifications are not being forwarded to your private email address, here are a few things that you can try:

1. If you recently created a Discogs account or updated your email address, please double check that your email address contains no typos and is properly formatted.
    2. Check your email junk folder. If you see emails from Discogs there, move the emails back into your inbox and make sure you indicate that they are not Spam so future emails do not go to your junk folder.
    3. Subscribe to Discogs Inbox Notifications. Discogs will only send Notifications to your personal email account if you have enabled this feature in your user settings. Check your Notification Settings now.
    4. Add us as a “Safe Sender”. The Safe Sender List, also referred to as a White List, is a list of all email addresses that you would like to receive email from without impediment. Each client has a different method of achieving this. Contact your email service provider if you’re unsure how to do this.

These are the email addresses you can add to your Safe Sender list:

[email protected]

[email protected]

I highly doubt my ISP is filtering their emails out, and I don't have a junk folder. Even if emails were getting bounced, wouldn't I still be getting the internal message when I actually log in?

sfactor23 and tmtomh like this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The trouble with that is that either your want list contains the holiest of holy grails, or you get emails all the time about $2 discs being listed for sale. It drove me up the wall. However it seems that they only send out those emails at specific times each week or month (don't know as I went the "holiest of grails" route) and if your item isn't there when they send it out, you're stuck.

What I do is make my proper want list nothing but holy grails, rarities, and things I'd definitely be willing to spend big bucks for when they come up. Then, I have two separate private lists - one for rare things which are for sale but that I want to watch the prices on (for instance, I don't want to pay $75 for Texas/Dead Men Tell No Tales on Secretly Canadian, but I don't want to get constantly notified about it, so I put it in my "price watch" list to check if a cheaper copy comes up - which it hasn't). I always double up my want list items in there so that I don't miss out while switching between the pages. Then, there's stuff I just want to keep bookmarked so I don't forget - specific versions of CDs, common CDs I want in good condition, cheap and plentiful CD singles which I might forget about, etc.

What I wish Discogs would do would be to offer a filter system for notifications and the browsing in general. For instance, if I don't want to pay $75 for that Sudden disc, I could hide that particular listing. Or, set a filter to show none above $35. Or filter out sellers from countries whose postal service charges more than $25. Would be great to enable notifications on specific items in your want list - that would remove the necessity of three separate lists. Of course, it would require the current want list functionality to be, er, good, and it's not.

Case in point - sorry to hear that you missed out on a holy grail. My advice is to keep three tabs open at all times and check them regularly. It's paid off big time - it's a pain to check every two hours, but you never know when that $80 Television live disc will pop up for $24.95 at 3:40 in the morning.

panasoffkee likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

There aren't any built-in "instant" notifications on Discogs. Just a daily digest of what's been listed and in your Wantlist.

Might be some third party stuff...

klockwerk likes this.
  12. manicpopthrill

Okay, I finally got word from Discogs support. They were able to tell me that the disc was sold so quickly that they never had a chance to send out the daily notification. That possibility never entered my mind. Hard to imagine how attuned that user was to that particular disc (this is not a well-known band), but I can't compete with that. One question in my mind is if someone on a different continent might get the daily notification sooner, thus having a clear advantage. I'll see if I can find out.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. InStepWithTheStars

That's a possibility depending on where it was listed, but it could have also just been timing. Maybe it was posted during the middle of the night for you but the early morning for the buyer. With no details, it's hard to say.

How did you find out it was sold, by the way? I've found that the "last sold" thing on the right-hand side is seriously hit-or-miss; I would say only about 40% of the things that I have bought ever end up added to that chart. The prices are often wrong and I've occasionally seen things appear to have sold even though I never saw them pop up (e.g. seeing 1 for sale for $20, and then it says last sold yesterday for $45 while the $20 is still for sale).

14. manicpopthrill

I don't know about the reliability of the "last sold" info, but I tend to trust this entry as one hadn't sold for five years. And, of course, the tech confirmed that one had indeed sold last month (he has a lot more info at his disposal).

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  15. InStepWithTheStars

Okay. Yeah, there was a cassette that I bought (possibly the only copy in existence - bought it from the guy who added it to Discogs) and yet it still says it was never sold. Maybe I bought it too quickly? Who knows.

Discogs is a wonderful resource, but there's still a ton of things that can be improved.

Lost In The Flood and Dave like this.
  16. manicpopthrill

I heard back from Discogs, and they said while it is possible that someone on another continent might receive notice first, it could just as easily have been blind luck that the person happened to check that particular disc the day it was posted. I really wish they could set up instant alerts, and then let the chips fall where they may.

17. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Just because something isn't listed for sale doesn't mean it can't be bought. I occasionally will get messages from people asking if I'm willing to sell this or that, usually they're after something rare I don't want to part with.

18. Uniovi

Uniovi Well-Known Member

I receive a message from Discogs every day with the new items that have appeared from my wantlist. However, I have noticed that sometimes there are items that have not appeared on these messages, perhaps because they have sold very quickly, as you have said. Anyway, I have another theory: I believe that these "digest" messages never include more than 100 items (if I check my inbox of the last days, I see 80, 96, 80, 96, 92, 95... never more than 100). Too bad, because some users have the obnoxious habit of remark for sale all their items EVERY SINGLE DAY, so basically I'm seeing the same tedious list of items every and every and every day, and, from what you see, loosing things that do interest me :(

Dave likes this.
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Maybe Discogs only wants to show the items that consistently get taken down and put back up on a daily basis. I'm being sarcastic... but geez, it drives me batty when people do that too often. Sometimes I'll start filling a cart of stuff from a store and leave it for a little bit and then it's all gone and I have to do it all over again. At some point, I just give up and mentally send them bad vibes.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Guys, use the Chrome add-on Discogs Enhancer.

It has *so* many amazing options that make using Discogs so much better. It also has a block seller option.

Discogs Enhancer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.