Discogs mistake.....

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BDC, Mar 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happened more than once to me....My rant........
    I click on something I want to buy which puts it in the cart. I click on option to pay with the intention of using Paypal, but I forgot to check the paypal box and it sends me to a credit card pay. I click backspace to check paypal box and I get a message that item is no longer for sale! So I give up and select another seller whom I pay on the spot. I then look at purchase history and the seller I forgot to check the paypal box on has invoiced me! I send that seller a message to which they don't respond and then I'll get bad feedback if they doesn't take action....... So my feedback rating is down to 96% because of this crap.....Absolutely hate this invoicing system.
    A couple sellers wouldn't sell to me because of my feedback rating.......The only time I don't pay on the spot is by mistake, getting side tracked or if there's the rare question issues... My e-mail most of the time doesn't even get the invoices! I gotta look on purchase history to find the invoices.......Been an e bay buyer forever with 100% positive feedback.....Discogs is a bad feedback trap IMO.

Wish I could just sign up for pay or not.......no invoices?

12" 45rpm likes this.
  2. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

This is true since it was just purchased by you....

The payment is not what removes the listing, once you click the "Place order and pay now" green button, it is "sold."
    You can confirm this if you go to your Dashboard and check under "Purchases."
    You can click the order ID and pay for it with whatever method you choose.

It seems that your negative feedback history is unfortunately based on unintended "user error" ;)

E.Baba, LivingForever, MC Rag and 3 others like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that my payment option defaults to PayPal for each purchase. I checked my profile and didn't notice any section that allows me to set the payment type. Not sure why yours isn't defaulting to that either.

You may be able to get the negative feedback removed. File a review request (drop down menu next to the actual feedback). Make sure you mention that you messaged the sellers about the issue but they never got back to you.

The changes Discogs implemented recently mean that you are invoiced automatically and have the option of paying then or when . Once you commit to buy you can pay right away or you can elect to pay later.

jesterthejedi likes this.
  4. BDC

correct--- and by my thread title I meant my mistake, though I still view it as kind of a trap.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. BDC

I'll look into that Paypal default option.

I did in fact make requests to have a couple bad feedbacks removed....

My biggest bitch is not getting e-mail notification for invoices......not in spam folder either...may have to try my 2nd e mail address.

6. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

It's worse in Canada. We're a big country with multiple different shipping costs. Since Discogs has made sellers specify our shipping costs, my sales have gone down 75%. It's really terrible. I can't specify every region, and buyers (worldwide) are not able to adjust the shipping price. They're just sent the incorrect shipping price, automatically, which often leads to confusion and lack of sale.
    And EBAY is now requesting our personal banking information. Rather than using PAYPAL, they want to draw monies received straight from our banking accounts. Fat chance. I'd rather open a store front for a couple of months this summer.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Dave, Adam9 and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  7. BDC

I'd think if you live in the City of Toronto shipping around the US would be pretty clear cut for you. Which I'd think would be a pretty good market, but I guess with Covid all bets are off.. What's up with E-bay not allowing you to use Paypal? That's F'd up.........

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The postage issue relates to inter Canada rates. Since they differ by region it's and they don't give sellers the option to set them by region, only by country, it's impossible to really set the rates properly. There are ways around it but each option is a pain e.g. set an average rate and make on some transactions and take a loss on others or set a high rate then refund the difference etc.

eBay is allowing buyers to use PayPal but sellers have to use the eBay payments system run by eBay. I think it's mandatory if you want to sell on there. I knew they had started doing that in the US but wasn't sure if they were rolling it out to other countries yet.

From the buyer side, what you will notice is a change in the PayPal receipt information. Previously if you bought an item off eBay, they shared the item information with PayPal so your receipt showed the name of the item you bought and the seller. Now it only shows that you paid eBay (shows as the merchant) a certain amount of money, your shipping address and nothing else. Not the end of the world but I do prefer my PayPal receipt include item and seller information. Refunds also take longer. If a seller refunds you via PayPal the refund comes through pretty much immediately. eBay payments take 3-5 days to show in your PayPal account.

Gramps likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No trap whatsoever. You just clearly don't know how it works. You have a Purchases section where every transaction is shown.

I'd suggest brushing up on how the website works so you don't perform actions willy-nilly without any idea of what they do.

10. BDC

It's an easy mistake to make.....that's all. Something IMO that should be changed. Sure I could take my time and contemplate my moves a little better.....but still an easy mistake to make..

Gramps likes this.
  11. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

To reply to a self acknowledged Discogs neophyte in such a demeaning manner is way out of hand. The person was obviously inquiring for a bit of help.

MattG likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

speaking matter-of-factly or directly does not equal "demeaning".

there are a lot of easy mistakes to make on discogs. it's definitely not the most intuitive platform until you get the hang of it. i suppose that's like anything else that you've not used a ton, though. that's probably why i've been hearing a lot of "don't shop on discogs while drinking" or "don't shop late at night". ;)

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Wouldn't hurt if they had a "How to" video section to guide newbies. I've been suggesting that for years. Would certainly avoid a lot of misunderstandings like this one.

cwitt1980 and GentleSenator like this.
  14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've done this a few times - however, there is a way to fix it: back out to the screen where you hit pay, and then go to your messages. There should be a message for "New Order" for what it was. In there, you can select "Pay with PayPal" and it should bring up the transaction correctly. Until you pay, that button should still be valid.

If that doesn't work, make sure to contact the seller and state that you encountered an error and need to cancel the order. Most sellers shouldn't have a problem with that. If, as you mentioned, a seller ignores that cancel request and leaves negative feedback, do the same. Errors and mistakes happen, and you shouldn't be punished for it. If a seller leaves negative feedback stating that you don't pay for your orders, then you give them negative feedback and state that you asked them to cancel the order due to an error or mistake and they didn't. IMO, anyone who does that is just a terrible seller.

BDC likes this.
  15. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

There are Discogs sellers who won't sell to you because your feedback rating is 96%? Man, people are just ******* nuts. I gladly sell to people with 0% feedback (I get seemingly quite a bit of first-time Discogs purchasers) and even those with sub zero negative feedack... if they order and pay, and I send them their item. Pretty damn simple.

joachim.ritter and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Gramps

Gramps Forum Resident

Not that simple for Canadians selling to Canadians over 3,000 miles and a different price for every province. Try putting every one into Discogs. I have, and it's a drag.

17. BDC

Yeah some won't sell with my feedback at 96%....Looks to be their seller settings...I usually pay right up front and the only time I wait for an invoice is if there is some kind of particular question. The non selling sellers have once or twice left me paying somebody else a buck or two more for something....Not that big a deal really, for me the feedback issue is more like a diss on my honorability or honesty....Probably a dumb kind of thing to let pride be a part of.

18. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I wouldn't call it pride at all. You made an honest mistake, asked a seller for help, they ignored you and gave you negative feedback. A different seller won't sell to you now because of that. IMO, pride doesn't enter the equation: that's BS, plain and simple.

19. Strat-Mangler

Again, you're doing it wrong. Do NOT submit an order and ask questions after. Ask before and THEN submit an order. You should always follow this order on any platform.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Sorry for coming in and quoting myself here but I have to clarify something about my business practices: If a person orders (from me) and pays, I send them their item. Period.

The above quoted line that I highlighted makes it sound as if there is some possibility that I might find reason to take undue pause of hesitation to send a paid-for item to someone, which is something I don't ever do. It was too late to edit that boned comment by the time I discovered my writing error.

Yes, I know; I need to go have my eyesight checked. :magoo:

21. BDC

Copy that.....
    It's rare I don't pay up front and those are the ones that got me bit.......
    Ain't sweating it much.......

GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.