Discogs Question

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by I Have Been Floated, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to make two separate Collections on Discogs? I have one with all of my vinyl, but I wanted to have different one for CDs. Is it possible or do you just have to put all media forms in the same collection?

2. UnknownEric

UnknownEric did not put the ram in the rama-lama-ding-dong

I think you'd have to make a second account to have a separate collection.

Slimpickens likes this.
  3. Multiple Offenses

Multiple Offenses Innocent Bystander

They do have a folders option to create different groupings:
    https://www.discogs.com/manage_folders

You could also create a secondary name/account for CDs.

Lost In The Flood and negative1 like this.
  4. Paul Van

Paul Van Forum Resident

I just use folders. Create a folder for cds and one for vinyl. As you enter your collection, just assign each item to the appropriate folder. When you view your collection, the default is to show all, but you can use the drop down menu to select what folder you want to see. Hope this helps.

Galley, negative1 and rcsrich like this.
  5. I Have Been Floated

I Have Been Floated Duke of Kirkcaldy Thread Starter

Great! Thank you all for the tips

6. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

What others have said... You could just create different folders for different collections. You then choose which item/media goes into which folder. However, there is a catch as far as I can tell. I don't believe you can download individual folders separately from one another. You can only download your "collection," as far as I can tell, which includes my vinyl, CDs, etc. even though they are in separate folders. You can then open with spreadsheet software, sort by however you want to sort, and then save/delete stuff into their own files. Hope this all makes sense. However, if someone knows how to download just a folder's contents, I would be most grateful for the tip. Cheers.

7. Yes, I have folders for Vinyl, sealed Vinyl, CDs and DVD/Bluray. They all show together by default but you can select view only one folder to see a specific category.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

question:

if there are over 25 copies of the same CD form 25 different sellers on discogs, and all of them are charging a ridiculously high price for said CD, why doesn't one of them ( or a couple of them) lower the price to sell their copy?

it just makes sense, doesn't it? or am i way off base here?

9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Have there been any recent sales?

What title? If I have it, maybe I'll list mine just under the lowest current offer.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there was a 60's psychedelic band called touch, they had one album and there are a ton of CD copies on discogs for sale, none are below $25 w/shipping.

[​IMG]

11. NettleBed

Never heard (of) it. Sorry!

I do see that quite a few are below $25 after shipping, if you look at the Esoteric reissue (their releases usually sound pretty good, too). Yeah, you have to buy from UK or Canada, but the price is around $20-$21, at the low end. Not too bad for a new/sealed CD in a niche genre.

You can also buy here - the Esoteric for only $15. FYI, he doesn't charge for sales tax.
    UNITED STATES of AMERICA (synphonicmusic.com)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    eddiel likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I checked the listings and the actual prices of the cds are reasonable in many cases. The problem lies with the w/shipping part. Most are in Europe and the cost of shipping is high. In some cases higher than the actual cost of the cd.

I sometimes lower my price to compensate for the high cost of shipping in order to get a sale.

I have to take the hit when I do that and for some items, there just isn't enough room to do that with. So I have to sell those at full price or try moving it locally instead.

If you actually are looking for this cd, Amazon has it on sale right now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Touch/dp/B00...675398165&sprefix=5013929430143,aps,75&sr=8-1

13. NettleBed

Honestly, it looks like this is pretty much a $20-25 CD, when new after taxes/shipping, almost no matter where you see it. I posted a link to one online vendor who sells it for $15 (his shipping is $4, but he doesn't collect sales tax). Or there's Amazon for $20, where the shipping will likely be free. There are several Discogs vendors selling it for $20-21 after shipping.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so this basically answers my question, and i thank you.

i guess if i were a seller and there was a plentiful amount of something and everyone was selling it for a certain price and no one was buying i would lower my price. if i make $1 each selling 5 , or $5 selling one, is there a difference?

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes there is. Generally, more items means more space required to store them, more money tied up in inventory, higher processing fees since you will have more transactions for 5 sales vs just one sale. High volume sales with lower margins do work and some business run that way, but it doesn't mean it's going to work for every situation and for it to work, you need a high volume of sales.

This title doesn't scream fast seller to me. It's likely to be a slow moving title with a limited customer base which is selling, if slowly, so sellers likely won't have a reason to drop the price. Plus, I don't think this is a title where demand is stimulated greatly by a price drop.

Many of the sellers are based in Europe so they might not be worried about attracting US or Canadian buyers for sales. What they are charging might be at the right spot for their market. Lowering their price to offset high postage isn't necessarily going to benefit them.

For some, making $4 or more makes the whole thing worth it, making $2-3 doesn't. There's stuff I won't sell online because I can't make enough to make it worth my while. For some, they don't care if it sits there. It can sit there for as long as it has to until someone decides to buy it.

As NettleBed pointed out, there are cheaper options available so you can buy for $20ish. Not sure how much cheaper you want it.

chazz101s likes this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm using 45worlds to catalog my CDs.
    Since I don't have a lot of CDs (and I'm only entering certain ones),
    it going smoothly.

Darryl