Discogs - The Level Of (Passive) Aggression Gets Worse.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Fripper, Jun 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yep, but those are still rules, and that's pretty much what I was referring to. And I believe the seller is supposed to have their listed items in stock (which I know they disregard for larger sellers), and there are grading rules, though those are of course largely subjective in practice. Granted, Discogs won't do much if you have a dispute with a seller, but that's why I was suggesting going the Paypal route, in which case, Discogs becomes less of a minefield. For a buyer who doesn't want to use Paypal, maybe it is best to avoid Discogs.

GentleSenator likes this.
  2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

AFAIA, PayPal processes all the payments on Discogs, so even if paying via credit card w/o a PP account, PayPal still handles the transaction. I think those types of PP payments are still covered by PP buyers guarantee as well.

Dave likes this.
  3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

That's good information. I didn't know that because I've never used direct Discogs payments.

4. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

Hello, I'm an experienced DiscoGS contributor, if you post a link to the relevant artist page(s) I may be able to help.

5. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

Regarding toxicity in the DiscoGS community I think it's not more than in any other Internet community.

The forums and the groups are full of people willing to help. There is a learning curve, guidelines are sometimes complicated and sometimes open to interpretation, of course the matter is complex and some time is needed to understand how to contribute in a positive way.

When I started I got my share of bad votes, and guess what? They were well deserved... They motivated me to understand better how things work over there, and now I can say I know a couple of things more about the world of records. Nevertheless, I won't call myself an expert, I learn something new every day, often thanks to other users pointing me in the right direction.

Sometimes I have to deal with new users who know better... Being amicable don't always work...

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  6. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

One of the most annoying issues is when some makes a negative vote like needs minor changes. It makes more sense to make the edit yourself then explain the reason, unless the edits merit an entirely incorrect vote with wholesale changes (CD changed to LP, country changed, etc.). I had someone vote because I didn’t list a download as an mP3. I no longer had the download itsel because I had burned WAV files to CD and lost the original download in a hard drive crash.

7. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

A few things:

1) needs minor changes is not a very negative vote, it's 3 out of 5 after all

2) I agree it's usually better fixing things than give nmic votes or leaving a comment hoping the last contributer does the fix

3) first rule on DiscoGS is you need to have the release in your hands, in order to make a good submission, you shouldn't submit a release if you lost it in a hard drive crash and forget the format it was, others will submit it sooner or later

8. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, any vote of less than 4 is a negative vote. Votes of needs minor changes are more useful for newbies, especially when they make lots of edits without understanding the guidelines. Sniping at someone for errors that may have carried over from the original listing or previous edits is a bit ridiculous. Make the edit yourself and move on.

I always have the release in my hands.

9. BlueBirdie

BlueBirdie Active Member

Agreed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.