Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Discogs...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by averica, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Again, that's a platform and they don't set prices. Individual sellers do.

2. Strat-Mangler

Pics don't show whether a record will sound great or bad. 99% of pics on eBay are taken from way too far with little light or are out of focus, therefore unhelpful at best.

3. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

If you think Discogs is overpriced don't look at anything on eBay. Plenty of crazy pricing on there.

4. Strat-Mangler

Discogs culture? What is that? How about the ads that were in the newspaper around here or should we talk about "The Sun" culture too? Your statement makes no sense in any way. Just a random bunch of people, some good and some bad, who sell stuff and use a tool to do it. You're looking WAY too much into inventing some type of common element, here. :laugh:

I sell everywhere; eBay, Discogs, here, etc. I play-grade everything I sell, never overrate anything, have a perfect record on every platform, too. How am I going to fit into your weird made up correlation? ;)

5. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

This x 1000. You'd think the sellers were getting ripped off left, right and center based on the forums. Usually the same sellers who can't figure out how to set up their shipping policies.

6. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

I used to think eBay had the worst sellers. So I started buying from Discogs sellers more often. Then I started thinking Discogs had the worst sellers. :)

Since I've bought way more record on eBay than Discogs, it can feel as if eBay sellers are worse but if I were to do an A/B comparison the hit rate wouldn't be much different.

But at this point, I'm comfortable with neither. When I buy a record these days I just assume that I'll likely need to deal with an over graded record no matter how much effort I put into the pre-sale screening process.

Given the ability, I would never buy another record online ever again but shopping local or at record shows doesn't always turn up records on your want list.

I loved going to NYC for the WFMU show and once that's back up and running I'll go again. Knocked a lot of stuff off my want list but it's not cheap. But I look at it as a part holiday. More fun than going to a resort in Playa Du Whatever for me :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    uzn007 likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Looks like Discogs sales are finally leveling off and slowing way down for me. There are several reasons. But one big one is that I think folks are now going outside and fewer being signed in to Discogs. Folks are tired of being at home and online. :cool:

I noticed that three days ago I entered feedback for over 20 orders (after tracking said they had been delivered). Not one of those buyers has posted feedback to me yet. They will eventually. But it is interesting how none have yet.

8. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

Its spring and more people are spending time outside. I go through streaks with buying LP's online and nothing beats going to an old school record store.