Discogs...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by averica, Jul 15, 2020.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that unless they really screw up the site, Discogs will continue to grow and dominate the physical media landscape.

I'm getting a fairly large number of sales from buyers who just joined, with no previous Discogs purchases shown, zero feedback as buyers, and the sale goes well. This is a sign that Discogs is growing and attracting new customers to the site. I go out of my way to communicate with them the moment the sale comes in, so they feel acknowledged and immediately know when I plan to ship the item. So they don't feel at risk on a new (to them) site.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Two of my top Jeff Beck discs for sale blew out this morning. Now just waiting for the Blow By Blow Mastersound gold CD to go!

Not too surprising.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a pretty slow Dec. 2022. Jan. started slow but picked up on the 5th and sale have been very strong throughout this month.

Discogs has been very good for me the last two years. Looks like it ain't over yet.

black sheriff and uzn007 like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Hey all, just a tip, do not forget to block buyers who gave you a hard time in any way. I just got a buyer new to Discogs who came off with a attitude. I won't go into here, but kind of demanding rather than cordial, and made a bad first impression even after my kind introduction and assuring him of a positive transaction. And even though he bought an $80 item, I don't want him back in my store. So he's blocked! I put insurance on the item just in case, as he left a bitter taste in his messages.

It's going to be another really good year for me at Discogs, I don't need to put up with anything from those asses.

Oh, and the real nightmare buyer I dealt with last year has gone MIA, no more feedback at all on either of his two accounts. I think he got suspended from Discogs for sending harassing messages with demands after the purchase. He was such an awful buyer that his reputation is all over other forums on the internet and he was even previously banned from ebay. He got tons of feedback on his terrible treatment of sellers and seemed to always get it removed somehow. But finally his accounts are now dead.

cwitt1980 and Dave like this.
  5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

@quicksrt

I didn't know you could block anyone on Discogs.
    Everything I found online suggested it couldn't be done.

How do you do it?

MarkO likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Seller Settings (top right under your mailbox icon) has a open field you put their name into. It's the page where sellers drop in their address and all that info. The second to last field on that page at bottom is Blocked Buyers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Kelby A. Thomas and Peter_R like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It depends on what you want to do. Like quicksrt pointed out, as a seller you can block anyone from buying.

As a buyer, you can block another member from being able to contact you, but you cannot block a seller from appearing in item listings or in your want list emails.

Uses have been asking to be able to ban sellers from appearing in their listings for ages but so far crickets.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I wish you could block sellers… I’d sure clean up my want list notification emails…

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That setting seems to be difficult to find. I was looking to un-want some items the other day and could not find it. But I know its there somewhere.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can block them from contacting you but you can't block them from view so they will appear in your want list email.

There is an add on for Chrome and Firefox that I think will allow you to do that though I can't remember the name of it.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You simply remove the item from your watch / want list. Easy enough, if you can find the place to do that.

I am not concerned with someone or anyone contacting me.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes you could do that if your objective is to purge that seller from your want list and Items I Want section.

It will also purge those items from both lists as well. So as long as a buyer is fine with searching for those items manually, they can just remove them from their watch list. Of course they would still see the seller when they search manually but if they want to clean up their want list email or Items I Want section, it will be done.

If the objective is to just remove specific sellers from the lists or anywhere else on Discogs Marketplace without affecting what items you see, it cannot be done.

So essentially, buyers cannot block sellers from view completely but they can avoid them somewhat with some compromises.

13. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

It would be nice if Discogs allowed buyers to filter want lists so certain countries could be excluded from messages. I am not interested in buying used product from Japanese sellers, yet they dominate most of my daily messages.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ebay lets you set up the search for an item by country, distance, price range, and other requirements. Then you can select save this search and I think it only goes after the items found within those parameters. Discogs is not quite there yet on searches. But at the same time I enjoy being able to conduct my sales like I wish to. I can see Discogs slowly ruining a good thing with new rules and fee hikes. I would hate that more than their limited search and save search limitations.

eddiel likes this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

"Not quite there" is being generous. I've been using them for almost ten years and I can't recall them ever attempting to improve their awful search engine. I would actually buy a lot more (or at least browse a lot more) if their search engine and notifications were more like Ebay's.

Sometimes I'll literally click into "Items I Want" when I'm bored, and I inevitably bail after a minute or two of scrolling through the usual assortment of mass-reposting sellers, sellers in other countries, items in horrible condition, sellers with horrible feedback, etc.

black sheriff likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

ごめんなさい

All Down The Line and Dave like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Interesting thing and a good thing actually is that on Discogs when you go to list and see the prices fetched for an item, say the range of $6.00 to $20.00 tops is what is shown. I have sometimes priced mine at $35 which is of course much higher than what the price history shows. But my copy might be a starch perfect cover and stone mint unplayed 1964 mono pressing and I ain't letting that go for $20.

Like this one I just sold, a Hot Rod Drag Racing comp from '64. I just got $35 for my copy, and it was a sweet clean new looking LP/Cover. Set the high price for sold, in the history.

So you can (as a seller) screw yourself out of a higher ticket item by paying too much attention to previous fetched prices.

(see this)
    Various - Big Hot Rod Hits!

joachim.ritter likes this.
  18. Ken Dryden

I question some of the price histories on Discogs, as I am not sure that all of the data is incorporated. At one point, you were able to automatically add purchases as you provided feedback, I usually didn't do that, since I added items as I played them, to make sure I wasn't getting a bad disc. Now that function seems to have disappeared entirely. Even when I used that function, the price history didn't seem to change.

But I am in total agreement that one has no idea what the condition was of the last ten items sold. If yours is sealed and Mint, it is likely worth more than the top of the recent sales price range given on Discogs.

19. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

You can see the sales that have been incorporated.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, click on that Last Sold date shown, in this case Feb. 7, 2023 and it will get you the history in much more detail / condition and comments on the given item. I could have asked for $45, and held out, but I am trying to move records, and not sit on them forver just because they are some really clean copies I saved. This item sat for 8 months before getting a taker. So price was just about right, or maybe only $5 too low from my pov.

21. Ken Dryden

That's helpful information, I never knew that it was available.

One thing I've noticed about adding make offer to a listing, some people think it is a fire sale or the seller is desperate for money.

When I get offers asking for a 35% to 50% discount on a new or Near Mint CD, I decline them.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anything more than about 10% to 12% off is insulting imo. 20% discount is just plain rude.

Well, I had a guy asking to purchase a $50 LP for $37. A Japanese buyer, and as I was writing a message telling him that I just can't go that low, I got another message about a purchase sold of 4 other LPs from him. So I quickly rethought my response and accepted two best offers, and the four LPs that did not have a offer available on them. Plus I sold two other LPs that were not on Discogs to this same buyer. So one LP was a steep discount, one was more in the 10% area and a bunch of others were no discounts on them. Sometimes there is room to play around with prices.

So the story goes if they want a deep discount, they need to be buyer several other items at full price, and deal needs to be for a couple hundred dollars, and their feedback is stellar.

I had a really good Jan. and Feb is great so far as well.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm kind of exciting as it looks like I'm going to get my first non paying buyer situation! A first for me. One day to go. :)

Since this never happened to me before, if the seller doesn't pay, I know the transaction is automatically cancelled, but does the system automatically hit the buyer with a negative?
    I think it does.

I had debated messaging the buyer in case it really was a case of ignorance. He has one other feedback (positive) and if he doesn't pay he'll get hit and there goes his feedback score. But when I saw he made another purchase, I figured he must have worked it out and he must see my order sitting there unpaid so....

Bizarrely, I might have another one brewing.

24. Ken Dryden

Nonpayment results in automatic negative feedback on Discogs.

Nonpayment has been rare for me as a seller but I have had one or two make offers who didn’t pay. One guy claimed that he made the offer accidentally, which is hard to believe, since he had to go through multiple steps to make an offer.

I block anyone who fails to pay or honor their offer for a cd or lp.

eddiel likes this.
  25. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Many buyers are rather new to Discogs. Some don't understand that buying and paying for an item are two different steps.

Before cancelling because of non-paying bidder I usually contact them twice.
    - Thanks for buying this item! Do you have all the information you need to send Paypal payment?
    - Would you like to cancel this order?

All Down The Line, uzn007 and Dave like this.