Discogs...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by averica, Jul 15, 2020.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Certainly making material changes warrant another look. I'm talking about merely delisting then relisting. And when I say trick, I don't mean deception (any more than a banner ad for something you just looked at at another site is deceptive).

Now for deception, those wide-angle lens shots to make the living room or back yard appear twice as big as it actually is certainly fit the bill

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Has it gotten out of hand really? People delisting and reactivating left and right the same records?

I'll tell you the other side of the coin. As a seller when you list a record there is a data area that tells you the prices the record fetched in the last two years (if it has sold at all) or something like that. And you get a red half-square next to the price in your inventory list if the item is priced a bit too high telling you that maybe you should lower your expectations a bit. Then there is an area where it shows how many folks have it and how many have it on their WANT list. If there are more that want it then have it, you might be getting a bite soon after listing it is the thought.

I have priced my items the lowest for the condition in the US or any seller. Had the best copy of anyone anywhere so far as condition, or I was the only seller in the world with it on Discogs. and got no takers after three months. So I have the nicest one, lowest price in that condition, 56 collectors have it and 75 want it. That sounds great, but still get no bites. So I believe there are a lot of deadbeats who add stuff to their want lists and have no intention of ever buying it no matter when it comes up or the price it is.

I have several hundred classical LPs up that are rare and all are imports from other countries never issued in the US, and many of them no CD ever issued. This is a great situation except that the market for this music is not in the USA. I am too new to know how this will fly longer term.

But anyway, I am going to have to take this stuff down and reduce prices a bit on at least the ones Discogs has the reminder (too high priced) next to.

Another issue is the generation of record guys who like 20th Century classical are hitting their mid to late 70s in age. Not all but many are dying off. And many are not in the US. So this stock is going to sell and bring in some cash - but it's going to be the long haul, a ten or 15-year sell-off. Not a fast buck. At least I like wheelin' n' dealin' this stuff.

3. misterjones

I didn’t say it was out of hand. I started all this by saying the relisting happened twice in a short period of time causing my cart to be emptied. I asked why this was happening and someone else suggested it was a trick to generate new notices of available records . . . or something along those lines (I have one item in my want list, so I’m not really aware of how this works or even bothered by it). I just wanted to know why my cart was disappearing and I was being notified that my items “got away” when they were still being sold exactly as before by the same seller.

But I tried to reconstruct my cart and ordered the records, so it could be no harm, no foul . . . except that I think I missed one or two, which has caused the seller to lose sales.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No, I assume it's "I know of it and don't have it, and would pay $5 if it ever comes up". List it at $10 or $15 and it will sit forever.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't mess with any LP under $9.99. A few CDs yes, but vinyl is too much work for accepting lower than that right now. Maybe later.

I'm in the $14.99, $24.99, and $29.99 range for the most part. Some even higher. One LP I listed last night at $114.99, because the last one sold for $99 (I think mine is cleaner both for LP and cover). 5 have it, 11 want it. So we can see how bad they want this rare one.

If other sellers around the world are asking 35, 50, and 60, there is no way I'm listing it for $5. I look at the three conditions, and where mine fits in condition wise and price a bit better, or higher but my shipping is lower. I find a good deal for a buyer. I am lucky that I can compete on the condition and nearly always have a nicer one. I ran into a couple of collections 8 and 10 years ago. Sold a ton off - and these I have are the leftovers. Nice stuff, obscure composers who are much easier to get info on then it was years ago. Discogs had no entries for most of this stuff back then. Now it's mostly all there and I just have to add a picture or two once in a while. I'm glad I hung onto this stuff, and that Discogs has these international contributors who entered the data finally. I could not have done it myself.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Exactly this. My wantlist consists mostly of records that I would buy as a cheap "add-on" from a seller who had something else I wanted.

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

One is not a "deadbeat" for listing records in one's "want list" and then not buying it when it comes up for sale. I use the want list as a way of organizing things I might want to buy or I'm just interested in, etc. Furthermore, even if I really want something, if there are like 20 versions of it out there, I will put all 20 on my want list and then see which one comes up cheapest; once I buy a copy, I delete all the rest from the want list. I think you may have misunderstood how people use the want list in discogs...

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One may not buy because they are simply waiting for payday, tax refund, Christmas cash, or what have you.

I got a question the other day about a Promo LP which I have described the label in some detail. Question was "does this have the promo only" sticker on cover? I answered back in less than an hour, yes it does. No sale has resulted thus far on that one.

A real deadbeat is when they make the order and fail to pay. Only two of those in the last 6 weeks.

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why would anyone put items in a cart and not check out for weeks, then get annoyed the items aren't in the cart anymore????

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. misterjones

Did I say they were in my cart for weeks? There certainly is a lot of misquoting going on here. I also was told I said relisting was "out of hand", which I never said. Now I apparently keep records and CDs in my cart for weeks. I had the items in my cart for several days while I thought about the purchase. I wanted to keep track of them. Should I buy them? Is there a better price somewhere else? Maybe I need to research that Tommy Dorsey LP a bit more. Perhaps I should go for the Jazz Oracle collection? (Guess what? I have other things to do and Discogs purchases can get back-burnered, believe it or not.) What the devil is wrong with keeping items in one's cart and considering them for awhile? Why is my disappearing cart all of a sudden my fault? I've got an idea. Next time, I'll get a pencil and a piece of paper and make my own list. And I certainly won't add anything else to my want list. God forbid I should pass on a listed item when it comes up!

To repeat, all I asked was why this was happening. I wasn't looking to blame or shame anyone. And I got a pretty good answer, which will allow me to address such matters in the future. I thought that would be the end of it. I didn't mean to start a buyer-seller war.

11. Strat-Mangler

Not at all. This is what you wrote.

"I put some items in my cart and left them there (something I’ve done in the past, sometimes leaving them there for weeks)."

I repeat my question; why would anyone do this?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. misterjones

I did not do that in this instance, which was my point. And the issue for me was not annoyance, but puzzlement as to why my cart disappeared en masse even though the seller still had them at the same price. Now I know. I leave stuff in my cart to keep track of them while I consider them and do further research. And yes, I often forget about them. I don't live at Discogs. Down the road I see items there and I delete them. I certainly don't feel as though I have any entitlement to them remaining there.

13. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for clearing that up. Yes, the Wantlist is exactly for this purpose.

14. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

My new pet peeve - Discogs sellers who use those soft card envelopes to ship vinyl.

Newsflash - no matter how many cardboard stiffeners you put in there, there is no way that record isn't arriving to me with a dinged or bent corner.

Annoying when it's a £5 record. Downright heartbreaking when it's a NM copy of something rare that I've paid £50+ for...

Dave, uzn007 and All Down The Line like this.
  15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I was shocked when I saw my local Rockaway Records selling them as Record Mailers as to me they are really Document Mailers.
    ie: Without folded shoulders!

LivingForever likes this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

not sure that's mutually exclusive to discogs, but i guess there's no other thread to make generalizations about sellers there.

Strat-Mangler and LivingForever like this.
  17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've seen a slowing down in sales for the last 5 or 7 days. I am wondering if it is because the stimulus cash many got is now spent and folks are tightening up?
    Or is it folks are getting out now more and sales will return when more become homebodies as winter comes?
    Is it because my stock is not so hot and the desirable stuff mostly went during my first 3 months of selling?

I did sell a $35 LP on Amazon and a $50 SACD item over at QQ in last 3 days, so that made up for the sales decline to some degree. I am not really worried about it, I'm just noticing it and wondering if anyone else is as well.

I just 15 min. ago sold a CD but it's only a $7.99 item. I need those $20 (and up) tickets to come in to make me feel good.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I buy on discogs all the time. I'd say this - if you're selling something at near the top range, then you're less likely to sell it. It's that simple. It's your prerogative, but if you're using sales history to sell something, why be surprised when buyers use sales history for buying? Being $5 under the median isn't a big deal if you're talking $50+ for a record. Still, the old adage stands true, your item is worth what someone is willing to pay - not last November, not three years ago, but today. A lot of sellers seem to be in fear that they're not getting top price or thereabouts. It doesn't make buying and selling fun, imo.

I have an extensive Wishlist of around 1000 titles. I have a cart with 15 items in it. The items in the cart are maybe's. Usually the price is somewhere near the median or high. Sometimes I'm in the mood to spend the money on them, mostly not. A good price makes for a compelling transaction. A so-so price is just that, so-so. I can pay top dollar for a CD any time I want......

Relisting items is a nightmare, because it screws up the alert emails you get. So if I have album X in my wantlist, I'll get an email when a new copy is listed. But with the relisters, it appears as a new listing every single day. One guy who does this is selling Bowie CD's at $500 a pop, and every day I get alerted to his reuploading. And I mean every day. I'm never going to pay $500 for a Bowie CD....

tmtomh likes this.
  19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

This is such an unnecessary hassle for prospective buyers as well. The number-one feature request at Discogs for literally years on end has been the ability to set filters for what shows up in the "new items on your wantlist" emails. Discogs already has all these filters available when searching the database - both the "find my version" and "find in marketplace" functions allow you to filter by price, currency, price, where the item ships from, condition, seller, and much more. But they simply refuse to implement these filters for email notifications.

This is probably a really dumb question, but what is QQ? Thanks!

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought some might not be familiar. It is QuadraphonicQuad which is a music forums site like SH but about surround sound formats like 5.1 and Quad. Folks buy and sell there but that is not the main focus.

QuadraphonicQuad

tmtomh likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think it works both ways. If you are selling something at the top of the condition range, you could be more likely to sell it even if priced the highest. How many times do we read about buyers here in these forums who bought a VG+ record that they hated and felt it was over-graded. Or NM that was too noisy to deserve that grade. And what if there are 25 copies for sale and average history says about $16 is what it sells for. All copies listed are VG+ except for some guys in Italy, and Russian Federation ($18 to ship to US). So I come along with a stone mint copy and ask for $25, and I'm selling the only copy in the US with this condition and it really does look unplayed. You say it is unlikely to sell because of this price? I say it is likely to sell at this price unless someone else in the US comes along with an LP in the same stated condition but is priced lower.

A record buyer should not always try for the lowest prices I have said before. But I will always lower my prices after a period of time if something nice does not move at the price I offered.

But I will agree that one can go too damn high and get out of hand in fantasyland. We've seen that.

22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Honestly, I never even look at condition. Price rules. I buy SACD, DVD-A and CD though, it matter more for Vinyl. I don't resell, so as long as they play, I'm good.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That is true. You can handle "several or more micro-abrasions that do not affect play" A solid VG+ in a cracked case and a missing front (back or both) cover even.

I need an item I can resell in 10 years if I desire to. And from the way the last 20 years have gone, I will want to.

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks! I had no idea QuadrophonicQuad even had buying and selling (guess I wasn't paying attention :)) - I will check that out.

25. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

I use my cart as a want list. I buy things when I get around to it and if they disappear before that, so be it. I always have the list of records that "got away" at the top of the Shopping Cart page and can find another copy if I still want it.