Discover Cold Chisel here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 5, 2018.

1. The Doga

The Doga SHMF’s Number 1 AC/DC Fan

50 cents? If only the shopkeeper knew how rare it was back then...

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. The Doga

Truly a killer live album! Almost the whole Breakfast album is played live... But I guess they were told not to perform I’m Gonna Roll Ya.

3. The Doga

Yes. One wonders what has happened to the master recordings of the “An Evening With The Circus Animals” gigs? Why only the performances of Bow River and Taipan been released? Where’s the rest of the shows?

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I am sincerely hoping we get the Circus Animals gig in one of the Live Tapes releases, preferably with video... I know they filmed some of it.

I have the new Live Tapes coming soon, really looking forward to it

The Doga likes this.
  5. The Doga

My favourite track from Blood Moon. I laughed when I heard the chorus.

D.B. and mark winstanley like this.
  6. The Doga

Let’s hope the Circus Animals shows will be the “Live Tapes Vol. 6”.

7. The Doga

This could’ve been on the first album, but never mind...

8. The Doga

What really annoys me about this year, even before COVID-19 hit... Is the fact I was supposed to take my Mum to see Cold Chisel for her 50th birthday, back in February... But an unfortunate combination of poor weather and a leg/ankle injury meant I couldn’t go! :( So im really annoyed about that... Because I have no clue if they’ll ever tour again.

9. mark winstanley

I sure hope they do, because if they can, they will.

D.B. and The Doga like this.
  10. The Doga

Well it’s up to the band, I guess. And it’s up to the band wether or not they’ll put out another (studio) album. I’ve enjoyed all 3 of their albums from the last decade. Unlike The Angels, Cold Chisel haven’t tarnished their legacy whatsoever.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

although I'm not really a fan, but I do respect CC greatly and think don is fantastic songwriter, I do agree with this, their legacy is intact... shame other great bands from that time such as INXS didn't do the same...

Chisel and the oils have very intact legacies IMHO :)

D.B., The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  12. The Doga

Very true, mate.

mark winstanley and Kassonica like this.
  13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

:)

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  14. The Doga

COLD CHISEL - SEEING IS BELIEVING (1986 VHS)

Just played my DVD transfer of the original VHS release, I thought I’d do a review post of this masterpiece compilation video, that showcases most of Cold Chisel’s promo clips, and some live performances, from 1978-1983 or so.

We open up with some montage footage of some stills, and brief clips of the soundcheck from the Last Stand concerts (footage included on the Last Stand DVD as a bonus feature), whilst the intro to “Conversations” from the Swingshift live album plays underneath. This then fades out, as we move into the first clip found on the video (with a “Picture Start” image as we begin):

1. Khe Sanh (Promo Clip 1978) - This version has been re-dubbed with the remix as heard on the Radio Songs & 1991 Chisel compilations.

2. Breakfast At Sweethearts (Live at ABC Studio 221 27th August 1978) - This edit briefly begins with (what I believe) a shot of a woman (shown from behind, from the waist down) walking into what may have been the now closed original Sweethearts cafe in Sydney.

3. Merry-Go-Round (Live at The Manly Vale Hotel 7th June 1980) - This clip has often believed to have come from a gig done back on the 12th of April, but since the release of The Live Tapes Vol. 3, (which features the whole show), this information has now been corrected.
    After this, we get a brief interview clip with renowned producer / engineer Mark Opitz, who produced the bands East and Circus Animals albums, with the intro of Best Kept Lies playing underneath.

4. Cheap Wine (Promo Clip 1980)

5. Star Hotel (Live at The Manly Vale Hotel 7th June 1980) - This begins with a newsflash with an image of the Newcastle Morning Herald, of which we see some of the actual rioting from the night the Star Hotel was close down.

6. No Sense (Promo Clip 1983) - This version has been re-dubbed with he album version. The clip originally used the single version, which had a longer intro, and a more rawer, live sound.

7. Forever Now (Promo Clip 1982)

8. Taipan (Live at Wentworth Park April 17/18 1982) - This version has a different spoken intro, possibly taken from an advertisement for the shows, underneath which excerpts of Wild Colonial Boy and You Got Nothing I Want plays underneath. The studio version from the Circus Animals album is then dubbed over the footage.

9. Hold Me Tight (Promo Clip 1983)

10. Saturday Night (Promo Clip 1983) - The very start of the clip is missing, in which a radio DJ can be heard talking, over a shot of Sydney, in the early morning.

11. You Got Nothing I Want (Promo Clip 1982)

12. Bow River - Audio taken from the Barking Spiders Live album, footage is from both Wentworth Park 1982, and The Last Stand 1983. The ending on this is longer here, than on the original release of the “Vision” DVD - The Wentworth Park footage is “fast forwarded”, and the audio from the Barking Spiders Live album briefly continues (takes from the LP version, as we hear Jimmy Barnes’ quote “We hope you got well and truly pi$$ed (drunk) before you came in”), before fading out.

13. Only One - Footage taken from the Last Stand concerts, dubbed with the album version - 1983.

14. Twentieth Century - Audio is from the Barking Spiders Life album, montage video from the Last Stand is used here.

15. Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye) (Live at the Manly Vale Hotel 7th June 1980)

16. Flame Trees (Promo Clip 1984) - The very start of the song is missing, however yes, the “Who needs that sentimental BS anyway” line is uncensored.

And so we come to a close with a “rewind” of some of the footage, complete with a “rewinding” sound, we are greeted with:

Credits: Just How Many Times - The opening is partly cut off, and the credits are played with this song in the background, over some shots of the clips as shown in the video. The credits end on a still shot from the Flame Trees clip.

All in all, the whole video runs in at about 1 hour and 8 minutes long. However 2 clips are missing from the video, one of them still unofficially released today - One Long Day (which eventually was included with the bonus DVD included with the 2011 re-release of the self titled debut album), however, the Choir Girl clip can still be viewed on YouTube (unless it gets taken down, or blocked). This video is quite rare now.

mark winstanley and Mylene like this.
  15. mark winstanley

It would be very cool if they redid this idea with all the tracks that had videos, and released it on a dvd or bluray. It would be even better if they could get a good 5.1 mix added to that.... though I guess it is debatable whether there is a big enough market for it.
    At least a well transferred copy of this would still be good.

The Doga likes this.
  16. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Wow there's a band I've completely forgotten about...I saw these guys in the summer of 1981 and cannot remember who they opened up for but recall liking them.

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  17. The Doga

Yeah, I prefer it over the Vision DVD they have now. BTW did you ever have the BHS back in the day Mark?

18. mark winstanley

What's BHS mate?

The Doga likes this.
  19. The Doga

Damn auto correct! I meant VHS. Did you have the “Seeing Is Believing” VHS?

20. mark winstanley

Ahh that makes more sense lol.
    No I never did. Back then I only really bought concerts videos... I never even really watched tv music videos much.
    I used to love Rock Arena though

The Doga likes this.
  21. The Doga

Ah what a shame. I got my copy 2nd hand for $1.00 in a cheap shop just up the road from where I live. My VCR at the time unfortunately had some minor issues, and as a result, the transfer to DVD has a horizontal distortion bar across the bottom of the image. So the quality isn’t the best...

22. Stratoblaster

Asked a friend today if he remembers seeing Cold Chisel in 1981 and he immediately said "oh yea....I remember them because I knew of the singer Jimmy Barnes at the time....great band, they rocked."

Jogged a few memories for him too...:cool:

mark winstanley and The Doga like this.
  23. The Doga

You know what else connects my ex girlfriend to Cold Chisel? The fact she was from Dresden... :mudscrying:

24. Stratoblaster

Ahhhh my friends curiosity was piqued by my request and he started looking through his ticket stub collection....Cold Chisel opened for Ted Nugent when we saw them...mystery solved!

25. The Doga

Too bad Chisel didn’t blow him off the stage. :D