Discover Cold Chisel here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 5, 2018.

1. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

A mate of mine bought the New Zealand pressing of Shipping Steel and it had Guilty on the B side. The Randy Newman track sung by Mossy and later coverd by Barnesy on his Flesh and Wood album as a duet with Joe Cocker. Talking about a rare Chisel item

2. The Doga

The Doga SHMF’s Number 1 AC/DC Fan

Does anybody know where that recording comes from? As of now, it’s available on iTunes, but it doesn’t say where it’s from. The quality is poor, suggesting it was ripped from the New Zealand 7’. But... Is it live, or a studio recording? I don’t hear a crowd during the song at all.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. The Doga

And now, here’s a Cold Chisel story from me:

Back around 2012, I made one of my then fortnightly (now monthly) trips into the city, to visit a 2nd hand record store. And this one time, I found a second hand copy of The Last Wave Of Summer on cassette. Unfortunately, at the time I was mainly looking for AC/DC LP’s and cassettes... So like the fool I was, I left it behind... And 2 weeks later, it was gone when I came back. To this day, I haven’t found another copy on cassette, so I’m still kicking myself about not getting it when I had the chance.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

When did they stop making cassettes in Australia? Innocent Eyes and Mistaken Identity by Delta Goodrem both came out on cassette and that was around the early 2000's.

mark winstanley and The Doga like this.
  5. The Doga

Gee, Mylene... That’s a tough question to answer. I’d say 2002 or 2003 at the latest. And The Last Wave Of Summer came out in 1998, when I was not quite 5 at the time... Memory isn’t so good of that period.

mark winstanley and Mylene like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For the record guys
    I will be looking at the brand new Live Tapes vol 5 cd soon.
    Sadly my cd arrived and was packed so poorly that it had been folded. Cd2 seems to be ok, but cd 1 was bent so badly it wasn't even worth putting it in the player.
    So I will get some thoughts down on this release as soon as I am able.

Cheers
    Mark

The Doga likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

lol ... I can relate to that... but I was 5 in late 73 (groan) :)

8. The Doga

Oh dear... :D

9. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Finally got Live Tapes shipping notice from JB AU... whether or not it makes it across the ditch before Christmas is anyone's guess.

10. The Doga

It’s a killer gig! I find the beta versions of the songs from the soon to be recorded East album interesting!

mark winstanley and Zackster like this.
  11. The Doga

COLD CHISEL THE LIVE TAPES VOL. 5 - DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE BETA VERSIONS OF THE SONGS FROM EAST AND THE FINALS:

A number of different songs from the yet to be recorded East album were performed at the gig in question. Thought I’d run down the differences between said songs performed.

Tomorrow: Slightly different intro, with drum rolls; the pre-chorus lines are sung during the intro, which are slightly different, but I can’t decipher them well; slightly different lines in the verses, with some lines moved around later on; the bridge section doesn’t have the “G-D” chord patten, and is treated more like a 3rd verse; final line of the chorus is “Set me free”, instead of “Oh no”.

My Turn To Cry: Pretty much the same as the finished version, except the bridge is slightly different (Jimmy sings the “Birdcage mouth” line twice, however he screws it up slightly the 2nd time, sounding more like “Birdcage mouth, you turned your back”, the latter part being from the next line in the song,

Best Kept Lies: Very close to the final, except only the 1st verse is present here, which is repeated, and a longer solo section is noticeable.

Standing On The Outside: About 90% complete, a couple of lines were changed, the “And I know...” bit isn’t present yet, nor is the short solo that follows the “First thing I do when I get into town...” bit.

Star Hotel: The lyrics are significantly different here; there’s no direct reference to the riots just yet, although a few lines are eventually used in the final version. The 2nd line in the end part of the chorus had one word changed: “No trying, we got nothing to sell”, instead of “No deals”.

Four Walls: Pretty much finished, except the first 2 lines of the 2nd verse.

Ita: A few lines in the first verse are different, and the pre-chorus lines are slightly different, or in some cases are in different parts of the song. The second verse is exactly the same.

Mylene and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

Cheers mate.
    I was told my replacement disc will probably be another month... they ran out of copies... which is good news.

The Doga likes this.
  13. The Doga

Let’s hope it don’t get damaged in transit :righton:

14. Zackster

Zackster Forum Resident

Sounds great, can't wait. Saw them in Wellington Dec 2, 2011. Hard to believe it was 9 years ago. Also saw Jimmy solo a few years ago

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

One Long Day at the Bondi Lifesaver is the epic to end all epics.

I prefer most of the versions from Manly Vale which the band is on fire from the first note. Here they take until after Knocking on Heaven's Door before Barnsey switches to 'exterminate' mode and lays waste to the venue.

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  16. The Doga

Totally agree! Although... I personally think Merry-Go-Round, The Door, and I’m Gonna Roll Ya were just a bit too fast... I’m surprised Jimmy didn’t run outta breath afterwards!

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

That's like on Last Stand how they rejigged the song order. After the first two songs there's no way Jimmy would have survived the rest of the set. If WEA used the correct order (starting with Wild Colonial Boy, Merry-Go-Round and My Turn to Cry) it seems much more possible.

18. The Doga

Quite a number of songs from The Last Stand have yet to see an offical release, from what I’ve noticed... Their failed attempt at Conversations (first time since the Rockpalast show, I believe) would be interesting... Especially if they tried it at the original tempo.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Twist and Shout goes for 8 minutes plus. It's only available digitally.

20. The Doga

And then there’s the 3 Big XXX Hits triple CD singles, which have some tracks from the Last Stand shows (some of which I believe are now on iTunes via the “Last Stand Outtakes” release.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Three Big Hits is a really good compilation. It's an hour of prime Chisel. I've got it on my HD and I'm always playing it.

The Doga and mark winstanley like this.
  22. mark winstanley

It would be very cool to have a complete Last Stand.
    It would be even more cool if they filmed the whole thing and released a complete video of the concert

The Doga and Mylene like this.
  23. The Doga

I picked up a 2nd hand copy of the original release last year. The performances of Build This Love and Letter To Alan are incredible! Why they were left off the film / soundtrack, I’ll never know.

24. The Doga

Oh I agree, mate. But I really want the complete An Evening With The Circus Animals shows!

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My review ...
    Cold Chisel ~ 3 Big Hits. Apocalyptic bar band music that was sitting in boxes unloved until the accountants came along. No matter how crazy Don Walker's songs got Jimmy Barnes would always sing them as if they were Livin Lovin Maid or Alright Now. There's live tracks here left over from the Last Stand series of concerts where Don and the rhythm section were trying to be Booker T. & the MG's and Barnes and Moss were trying to slaughter the audience in their seats. That's the beauty (and stupidity of Chisel) all the members were never in the room at the same time. If they ever agreed on anything was through clenched teeth. This is three CD singles but it plays better than any album released in the last 10 years. Michel Buble take note.