Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

A beauty. 5/5

Primal Scream's take on "CMH" is rather cool. I have a soft spot for it as it's the version I heard first:

Mr. D and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I agree with Daniel's comments. It is perplexing that it hasn't been released. We need to hear it in better quality.

I am going to break with the consensus. I score it a solid 4/5 :hide:

3. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Carry Me Home:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-2 votes
    5-6 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Wata

Today's song is Hard Times, an unreleased Chaplin-Fattar song recorded in late 1972, shortly before Holland is assembled:

Will Harris and The MEZ like this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Hard Times -- 4/5. Sharp, lean blues rock. Like it.

6. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

There would have been room for both of these outtakes had they not included so many previously-released tracks on Made In California.

If anyone from the band's inner circle is reading: Most people who buy the box sets have already heard these outtakes on bootlegs, so you're not letting any skeletons out of dark closets, you're just giving us better-quality skeletons (so to speak). I've known "Carry Me Home" since I bought the California Feeling boot in 1988. If anyone is worried it was "too dark" for the band, that ship sailed long ago.

"Carry Me Home": 4/5 because I feel the lyric needed to be slightly clearer to signify it's about a soldier, not just a random person dying (i.e. Bloodrock's "D.O.A."). Great tune, though, and first-rate vocals. Should have closed Holland.

"Hard Times": 3/5 because the singing is a bit weak and the melody isn't distinctive enough. But it has a great, rocking backing track and guitar solo.

7. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Difficult to categorize this tune as a Beach Boys creation for me. It doesn't sound Beach Boys in the least and once again there's really no place on an album for it. Not a fan of it hence the 2/5. Next.

Rock66, Lance LaSalle and smilin ed like this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

3/5 - though in truth, the other Chaplin/Fataar songs on both albums are better.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This rocks “harder” than any other Blondie/Ricky tune they came up with for The Beach Boys. Sure it doesn’t have the trademark BB harmonies, but it doesn’t need them. Good tune, the “chorus” after the verses kicks up the excitement another notch. 4/5

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I agree with everything lou states above. 4/5

11. Wata

Your ratings for Hard Times:
    1-0 vote
    2-1 vote
    3-2 votes
    4-3 votes
    5-0 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  12. Wata

Today's song is Barnyard Blues, a Dennis Wilson Song recorded in 1974, which was finally released on "Made In California" in 2013:

13. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

What a Wonderful Song from a near perfect album ,Loose Student Demonstration and replace with (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again and it would have been totally perfect ,as for Surf's Up Song my favorite version is and ill need some help here is a 6 plus mins Version that was on a burned CD of BB rarities a Friend of mine gave me probably 15 years ago or so and he's not around anymore so I can't ask him what Album/CD/Comp/Boot.etc It's from and I've searched the net to no avail , Anyone here know of this version and i Still Have it Just wondering where it comes from.Cheers Adrian.

14. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

A solid 4/5. A nice piece from that era.

Will Harris, Uncle Ernie and The MEZ like this.
  15. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

3/5. It’s all right but under par for Dennis.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Barnyard Blues - An odd song but I do enjoy it. Needed some fine tuning, probably. 3/5

17. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Barnyard Blues - odd song, kind of throwaway but probably better than some of the stuff that's coming! 3/5

18. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

BB: A pleasant surprise when this appeared on Made in California. How many songs did Dennis have in his back pocket?

One of those songs that if we were using a 10-point scale, I’d give a 7 but out of 5, I give a 3.

Pleasant.

19. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

I don't know anything about the origins of Barnyard Blues, but those opening chords certainly sound like they were inspired by or meant to blend in with some of the Smile stuff--especially Wonderful, Look, and Child. And of course the animal sounds and title are reminiscent of Smile's Barnyard. Knowing nothing else about this song, I was wondering if it was possibly a part of the effort to reboot Smile in the early 70s. Were any efforts directed toward creating new music to flesh out Brian's scraps? If someone told me this was an effort by Dennis to help bring to fruition Brian's idea of a "Barnyard Suite," I would not be surprised. Anyway, it's merely ok. I certainly understand why it lingered in the vaults. A generous 3/5.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Not hard to understand why this entry from Dennis didn't make it to an album release. It's an interesting piece but hardly worth embracing as a great Dennis tune. Not everything he did was great and in light of what he was capable of doing, it sorely lacks quite a bit. 2/5

Uncle Ernie and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Perhaps it had its origins in this 1968 DW snippet, which also seems Smile-ish to me.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  22. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I agree, Uncle Ernie. The possible SMiLE connection is intriguing.

Lance LaSalle and oldsurferdude like this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Good but not great. I like the music but lyrically, it's all over the place - and that Smile connection is certainly there. Still, nice that it was released.

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Not much to add to everyone’s comments - 3/5.

25. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

What is this Song ? Live In Dreams Again ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.