Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

I don't usually bother with other mixes but that early one is sensational!

Anyway, 5/5 for the song on POB.

2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

River Song is amazing, and shows that Dennis was progressing musically and creatively by mixing up this innovative rock- gospel- soul stew. At a time when The Beach Boys seemed creatively at a dead end, if they had only turned to Dennis for a new direction, things may have turned out differently, at least in the short term. No wonder Dennis was disappointed in 15 Big Ones when he had songs like this ready to go! 5/5

3. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

If you want to get non BB fans to open their mind to the 70s stuff, play them River Song. The reaction tends to be shock!

4. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Is that Carl on lead?

5. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

River Song. Needless to say, a classic. Like others, I hope we get a clean Beach Boys version in the coming years. The solo version is a bit of 70's bombast but the song makes up for it.

5/5

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"Cool Water" would be an appropriate tune to discuss right now.

7. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

The evolution of the band right there in those LPs.

Thanks for the mention of "Let Him Run Wild".
    Though it's a Wrecking Crew tune, it's right up
    there among their best. Time for a listen.

Wata and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Blondie on the verses.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Makes me think that if Dennis had finished this in 73 he would have had Blondie sing lead. As he did on It's a New Day.

Mr. D and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

PS

Yeah, Bambu song-by-song, please.

Wata, Lance LaSalle and Will Harris like this.
  11. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Thought that might be the case. Thanks smilin ed.

12. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Fantastic opener of this great album with Dennis pulling all the stops out. The released version is my favorite and can see why it was chosen. A solid 5/5.

13. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

If we do track by track for Bambu, I see no reason to not go track by track for BW88, Sweet Insanity, Paley sessions, Imagination, GIOMH, Lucky old sun and No Pier Pressure. I'm not too bothered about Disney, Gershwin and the Christmas album. But a general discussion and focus on the originals on them would be good. Plus all the oddities of Brian's solo career.

14. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Plus Orange Crate Art - one of my favourite Brian albums despite the lack of his writing.

15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Are we also going to do Looking Back with Love, Unleash the Love, and 12 Sides of Summer?

The MEZ likes this.
  16. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

No, Clem, no! By cracky...

17. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Glad we are doing this album, and in the context of the right spot at that. "River Song" - being a Dennis and Carl song, should have been on a Beach Boys album. That last chance passed when none of the songs were offered with what Brian had done for Adult/Child. Some of them sure would have fit. This whole 1977 and on period is a big question of "what's going wrong here?" How could so many opportunities be thrown to the side of the road? Too many great songs were not felt to be worthy of release.

I love the rockin' jam "demo" version, tho. AGD says that's from '73 in the youtube comments, but I can't find it in the Bellagio sessions notes. The song continued to develop in wonderful ways... I think we got the best possible version on Pacific Ocean Blue. 5/5, 9/10.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

River Song - 5/5

Marvelous.

19. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I wrote up some comments about my first listen of 12 Sides of Summer last Saturday at Endless Harmony forum. Are you a member of that forum?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

We'll do it - but just one day per an album for overall discussion, not song-by-song approach.

21. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

River Song is incredible. The production and vocals are immaculate. What a track!

This fantastic song, and album, must have really messed with Dennis’ psyche. His band didn’t want his spectacular songs on their albums. And he never made it as a solo artist. What a tough position to be in. No wonder the man drank himself in to oblivion...

River Song is a perfect 5/5.

22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I am but only visit infrequently.

Will Harris likes this.
  23. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

To my ears, the bombast really makes the song work. Kind of like "My Sweet Lord", the stripped down versions sound unfinished.

24. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Ah, good. Glad to see POB is part of this thread. Have to chime in on that. I love River Song. Deep and wide and slightly meandering—perfect for the song’s topic. Would’ve fit in great on a BBs album like Holland. But it also makes a great opening statement for Dennis’s album. Those inimitable harmonies surrounding Denny’s soulful, gravelly lead over a nice piano-driven track—a perfect combination for me. 5/5

25. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for River Song:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-0 vote
    5-11 votes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.