Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Agree that FMF should have been the closer.

If we were doing a 10 point scale, I’d probably go 7. 3 out of 5 is too low, as there is a lot of neat, musical touches. 4/5.

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

3. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Would be a nice tribute to anyone who passed away. Good vocal from Dennis on this tune. 4/5

4. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Farewell My Friend:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-6 votes
    5-0 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  5. Wata

Today's song is Rainbows:

Lonesurf and The MEZ like this.
  6. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

Rainbows — Terrific song with a nice banjo intro that leads into the sprightly primary verses propelled along by mandolin, keyboards, and stacked Beach Boy harmonies. Instead of a chorus, the song transitions to a slower secondary verse with a yearning mandolin providing the backdrop for Dennis’s rough yet gentle vocals. The song is a nice little vignette of Dennis’s life in its prime. The hedonistic pursuit and enjoyment of life’s sensual pleasures (rainbows, sunshine, warm days, singing birds, flowers, good times, dancing, lustful embraces) placed alongside the deeply romantic desire for intimacy, attachment, and love (“Love, I really want to be with you . . . night and day, everyday”). And a nice little invitation at the end to join him in embracing life. All that in a radio-friendly pop song. He was good. 5/5

7. Lance LaSalle

8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Love the transition into the "chorus" and the end where Dennis's ascending vocal is set against descending chords. This is one of the highlights of the album, definite 5/5.

9. oldsurferdude

Not too much to say about this tune. It sounds fairly akin to the songs we've heard so far and it's not bad. 4/5

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Rainbows. There are some solo songs that I consider to be Beach Boys songs, in all but name. This is one of them. Could have been one of the cornerstones of a decent post-Holland album. Great vocal performance by Dennis but can you imagine Carl or Brian chipping in on a lead line or two?

Like all of Dennis’ best songs, there is a lot of interesting instrumental touches and contrasting musical pieces. Only wish that the fade out when on a little longer.

5/5

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

12. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Rainbows is a beautiful song. So very uplifting. Total ear candy.

5/5.

13. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

According to Dennis, " "Rainbows" Is about being happy and being alive."
    For me, "a nice slice of the feel that his songs had on Sunflower." Dennis
    and Brother Carl developed this sunshine masterpiece over a long period,
    and it's all the more stronger for it.

"Rainbows" should have been a Beach Boys track. 5/5, 9/10.

14. Wata

Your ratings for Rainbows:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-0 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-7 votes

The MEZ likes this.
  15. Wata

Today's song is End of The Show:

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

“End Of the Show” is a good ender, but it doesn’t move me as much as say, “Tug of Love.” 3/5

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great way to end the album but 4

18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Like the song, the melody is beautiful but Dennis is straining to hit the notes. also love the "rock" section. I would have preferred Tug of Love on the album over this but I do like End of the Show a lot. Bruce is in there on vocals somewhere. 4/5

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's him at the end, isn't it?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

EOTS - once again, a lot happening in this Dennis song. Not sure the sum of its parts make up a greater whole.

Agree with lou on my preference for the rock section of the song and would have liked to have had that part lengthened.

It is a good closer but I think Farewell My Friend is better in that slot.

I’d be inclined to give it a 7 out of 10. Don’t think I can go as high as a 4 out of 5.

3/5

21. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

End of the Show — Expressions of grace and gratitude are always in my sweet spot. This one’s a beaut.

Thank you very much
    For everything I ever wanted
    Thank you very much
    For everything I ever dreamed of

Who’s he singing to? A lover, his brothers, his fans, God, all of the above? Who knows. But one thing seems clear: For all his madman howling and living on the edge, Dennis always oozed appreciation for his life and good fortune. And that’s a lovely thing. Makes this song a perfect closer. Hell, it’s a perfect epitaph. Well done, Denny. 5/5

22. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

You make a persuasive argument. Nicely stated, Uncle Ernie.

23. oldsurferdude

Mr. D nailed it for me. Not a huge fan of EOTS. Farewell would have made it for me. 3/5

Will Harris, smilin ed, Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  24. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

"End Of The Show" features one of the most heart-rending moments in pop, that high instrumental sixth at 1:09 in the linked version. In terms of sheer mournfulness this ranks in my book with Richard and Levon's call and response in The Band's "Whispering Pines" and Gilmour's four-note chiming motif in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

The perfect closer for POB--in my book.

5/5

25. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I always thought that was Brian joining in in harmony. And I think Dennis' vocal is great on "End Of the Show". This song let the album end on a happy note. A perfect end to a near perfect album. 5/5, 9/10. That's how I look at it.

Then I read an article by David Leaf from 1977. He got Dennis to comment on some of the songs. Dennis said "End Of the Show" was about two things. He rambled-on about the world coming to a place where mankind was going to
    give up war... "the old is dying." That sounded cosmic. Point two was: Dennis considered this a farewell to Karen, that he, "knew they were finished." I really don't hear either of those thoughts expressed in the lyrics.

I'm glad I got to live with this album for the many years before Dennis died. It's a sad set of songs, with a bright ray of sunlight peeking thru here and there. If one heard it for the first time after he died, I believe it could overshadow
    all the love that was put into his statement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.