Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I'm not a huge fan of the song, but it's good. 3/5

oldsurferdude, The MEZ and smilin ed like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Get what you're saying about the vocals, but it's Dennis. Kind of goes nowhere and fades. 3

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

As I've said before, I'm a big fan of Dennis's mid-tempo rockers like this. Love the slide guitar and piano and the beat beat beat. The lyrics are pure autobiography - don't care about my ma and pa, want to steal a car, dirty needle, marijuana, beer and wine. The vocal, if it's Dennis all the way through, is his best vocal in years. I like the New Orleans horn section coming in but it would have been better if they had held that off to the second half of the song, to provide some contrast. Could use a middle 8 to break up the monotony of the beat as well but I love the beat anyway and the song isn't too long. I'm going to be generous with a 4/5.

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Will Harris, Lance LaSalle and Mr. D like this.
  5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I haven't seen this before!! Interesting - Craig agrees with me that the first vocal on Time for Bed is someone else:

"Opening voice: Earle Mankey ? or Gregg Jakobson ?"

So I'm not going crazy!! And apparently the Beach Boys attempted a version of this.

Mr. D and oldsurferdude like this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think he means the talking at the start - doesn't he????

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Oh - I hadn’t thought of that. You’re probably right.

8. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Crazy lyrics, but the party setting gets my rating up to a 4/5, 8/10. The music alone takes me there.

The MEZ likes this.
  9. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Time for Bed:
    1-0 vote
    2-0 vote
    3-3 votes
    4-2 votes
    5-0 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Wata

Today's song is Album Tag Song:

pablo fanques and The MEZ like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

To be honest, it's pretty difficult to judge this one, even though it's more than just the bare bones. Doesn't do a lot for me, to be honest. 2

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

I feel the same way as @smilin ed, though I will give it an exceedingly weak three.

13. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yep, ditto.

2/5

14. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Interesting Smilelike piece that had potential. As is, 3.

Mr. D and smilin ed like this.
  15. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I think the Beach Boys could have really benefitted from many of these Dennis songs from the mid 70s on, though I think some of them would have been elevated by having the other guys on them - not unlike Brian's solo stuff. I like Dennis' stuff but it does get a bit samey over the course of a whole album - again the same with all their solo stuff to an extent and the reason why they're all more enjoyable together. Looking forward to delving into Brian's solo albums.

16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

As Craig points out in his notes, the intro/outro is the actual tag to the album, recorded during the Pacific Ocean Blues sessions - the middle is a piano demo, unrelated, interposed by John Hanlon. I love the actual "tag" part AS as a tag, and it is "Smilelike" as oldsurferdude noted - just needs some interesting vocal parts added. But it doesn't make it as song, and the middle demo doesn't fit. I'm going with a 2.

17. Lance LaSalle

I don't feel the Dennis stuff on Pacific Ocean Blue feels too samey, but when you add on 15 bonus tracks, then it does start to feel samey!

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I love both the "tag" part and the song in the middle. Dennis always sounded so sincere on his love ballads. 4/5 from me.

smilin ed, oldsurferdude and The MEZ like this.
  19. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I think that's probably more what I meant! Very grateful for it's long awaited release though - sometimes I just find it a bit much in one sitting.

20. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Potential is the key word. I don't want to give "Album Tag Song" a 2, so I'm a 3/5, 5/10 - right in the middle of an undecided rating.

21. Wata

Your ratings for Album Tag Song:
    1-0 vote
    2-3 votes
    3-3 votes
    4-1 vote
    5-0 vote

22. Wata

Today's song is All Alone:

smilin ed likes this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

This song is a classic if you ask me. Harrowing performance, the toughness of Dennis’ lead giving the song absolutely the right depth. Great sax solo, just a great record. 5/5

24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The best of the Munoz songs - Dennis gives the vocal his all, rewriting some of the lyrics (I assume he was the one that came up with recycling the "wouldn't it be nice to live again" idea in the first line), heart-felt and emotional. There's a re-record out there with a partial vocal but I couldn't find it on youtube. But I like the simplicity of the arrangement of this version, it fits the lyric and the mood of the song. 5/5 from me also.

25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yep. 5.

Will Harris and oldsurferdude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.