Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The intro sounds like it's going to be one of those magical songs on Imagination. But then the looser "Gettin' In Over My Head" vibe takes over and we're left with another mediocre product. I agree with many here -- there's a decent Brian Wilson song here. It's well constructed, has a very unique melody and nice background/harmony fills. Another Brian Wilson song that only Brian Wilson makes. And a decent one.

I notice after playing these songs for review that I'm starting to overlook the album's glaring deficiencies. I want to rate the finished material higher than I know I should. Is "Rainbow Eyes" really a 3? It should be a 2 if I'm being honest and fair to Brian's and the Beach Boy's impressively unique (to put it lightly) catalog. But I enjoy what I just heard. Gosh... a 3. Final answer. I'm a sucker for this stuff.

2. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

I like this and think it's one of Brian's better songs during this time period. Oh, yes, flaws abound in every direction but the melody is strong and it sends a pleasing message. I'll go with a skin and bones 3/5.

3. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

My post during the SI sessions:

This version is better than the SI version but not enough to hit 3 in my books.

2/5

oldsurferdude, lou and Will Harris like this.
  4. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Rainbow Eyes:
    1-1 vote
    2-5 votes
    3-4 votes
    4-0 vote
    5-0 vote

5. Wata

Today's song is Saturday Morning in the City.

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Based on memory, the backing track to this one is from the Paley session with a few overdubs? I may well be wrong, because I haven't listened to it in years.

One of the better songs on the album, but still a long way below Brian's best.

2/5.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Yes, apparently just a little extra guitar and percussion. Most of the track is still in mono.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

4/5 for me, same as last time. I really enjoy it.

9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

A day in the life ditty. Low 3

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Saturday - loss of paper route drum fill was a detriment. 3/5

TimM and smilin ed like this.
  11. Brandon Spano

Brandon Spano Forum Resident

This one's alright. I've been tossing up between a two and a three, but i'll go with a high 2/5.

TimM and smilin ed like this.
  12. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Going with Lance on SMITC. This one's difficult to pick apart. 'Nuff said. 4/5

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Like Rainbow Eyes I prefer the original to this - the additions do nothing for the song, sometimes simpler is better (ala Smiley Smile) especially for these slice of life novelty tunes. Still hate the backing vocals “Saturday” - lazy and aurally displeasing. I wish Brian had done Marketplace instead as I think it’s a better song overall. 2/5

TimM, smilin ed and oldsurferdude like this.
  14. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think I'm stuck in a rut here. This song is not terrible, but it is not one that I would ever seek to listen to. That goes for most of this album. 2/5

smilin ed, oldsurferdude and Mr. D like this.
  15. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Here are my comments during the Paley Sessions:

I've decided today that I like the song :) A bit corny but musically captivating and the song builds up to a nice finale. 3/5

Side note: I'm surprised, Disney album notwithstanding, that Brian hasn't done a full children's album. This song would certainly fit.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Ah, there it is! Crazy genius Brian Wilson! This track is such a refreshingly cool breeze of creativity on an album infected with some drab laziness. I actually like this version more than the Paley version myself. It's less uppity than the Paley cut, which is why I like it.

I think it was Bruce who said Wild Honey was something for Brian to "cool out to" or something. Likewise, "Saturday Morning in the City" may not be a masterpiece, it's one of those "cool out to" type of songs. It almost doesn't belong on this album.

The "children's album" proposed by Mr. D is driving towards something that I think this track speaks to. Whether it's a children's album or not, I don't know... but Brian needs to do an album -- something simple like this. Full of this.

4/5

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  17. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

It’s a really creative melody. I think these kinds of songs are closer to Brian’s heart, in many ways.

I like it a lot. 3.75/5

Does anyone know what they were thinking with this album? They slaved over Smile, could’ve capitalized on all the great energy and momentum created by that but they just threw this turd against the wall.

18. Turk Thrust

This album was recorded first. I believe GIOMH was worked on in the spring of 2003. No record company wanted to release it for obvious reasons.

Smile was worked on the following year and, possibly because of how bad GIOMH was, Brian's band members obvious took the lead in terms of producing and arranging it.

A record company only then agreed to release GIOMH because they were forced to take both albums as a package.

pablo fanques and Pants Party like this.
  19. Wata

Your ratings for Saturday Morning in the City:
    1-0 vote
    2-4 votes
    3-3 votes
    4-4 votes
    5-0 vote

20. Wata

Today's song is Fairy Tale.

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Make it stop. As bad as the McCartney song. 1

TimM, oldsurferdude and lou like this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Not one of their best, imo. 2/5

smilin ed, TimM and oldsurferdude like this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

2/5. Good melody, terrible lyrics and Boring and over-ornate arrangement.

smilin ed, TimM, Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  24. Brandon Spano

Brandon Spano Forum Resident

Unremarkable. Nothing more to say. 2/5

TimM likes this.
  25. Turk Thrust

Again, I will post the superior David Foster version:

Brian's vocal is painful to listen to on the GIOMH recording and the lyrics are embarrassing.

1/5.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.