Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Again, I will post the superior David Foster version:

Brian's vocal is painful to listen to on the GIOMH recording and the lyrics are embarrassing.

1/5.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  2. lou

lou Senior Member

Melody is repetitious and not very interesting, bridge seems out of place, not sung particularly well. 2/5

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Somewhere inside of this overblown production is a decent song. The basic melody is interesting and has a good ending but it's all a bit wasted by too much going on. Lyrics need work. 3/5

Pants Party likes this.
  4. Pants Party

Pants Party One Leg At A Time

A rather decent song actually, but there's some clunky lyrics and they're sung roughly. Just sounds horribly rushed. As with "Make A Wish," "Fairy Tale" has some of the most cringe-worthy vocals. And along with "A Friend Like You," a few of the more cringe-worthy lyrics.

These shortcomings really drag it down from what could have been the album's centerpiece. It's a strong-sounding song, with a nice arc, a powerful fade out and an uplifting feel... but it's missing critical parts. The tires are flat, axle's bent, transmission slips, loose screws abound and the cigarette lighter doesn't work. In no state would it pass inspection. I still like it for some reason, but it's not something I would play in mixed company -- that's for sure. The album and this song is not for friends and family -- but for understanding fans only.

The Blue Book value is a 2 -- but I'm asking 3/5. A good bit of that 3 comes from reputation not results.

5. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

From my post during the SI sessions:

Yep...1/5.

6. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

By the way, nice, new photo, Lance!

To all Beach Boys Songs Day by Day posters, stay safe :righton:

7. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for Fairy Tale:
    1-3 votes
    2-4 votes
    3-2 votes
    4-0 vote
    5-0 vote

8. Wata

Today's song is Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel.

9. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Prefer the original. 2/5

Pants Party and TimM like this.
  10. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

Possibly the best recording on this album (which is not exactly high praise).

Brian's vocal is at least respectable here and it's not a bad song.

3/5.

oldsurferdude, Pants Party and TimM like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Forum Resident

Yet again, a decent song is ruined. I prefer it to the SI version, which is a tad overwrought and Brian's vocals are better here. Song-wise, it's better than a lot of the bland mush on this album; execution-wise, it's not much better. 3

12. Brandon Spano

Brandon Spano Forum Resident

It's the highlight of Sweet Insanity, and the same can be said for this album. A part of me wants to go 4/5, but I can't quite do it. A very high 3/5.

13. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like the melody but not much else 3/5.

oldsurferdude, Pants Party and TimM like this.
  14. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Forum Resident

I remember reading about the GIOMH album on the SS board just before it came out - looking at the tracklist I was really excited that Brian was revisiting these forgotten songs and thought it could be a pretty good album. I remember picking it up on day of release on a warm June day - I had my CD walkman with me to listen to it on my lunchbreak from work...I wanted to like it a lot more than I did but it was hard going...

HCWSBD - apparently was based on an unreleased BB song from the mid 90s which may or may not be 'Dancin the night away', AKA Baywatch nights! you could hear Carl doing the Elton bit easily. 3/5
    SS - The worst version of this, prefer the Paley one. 2/5
    You've touched me - aside from the horrid intro, I actually like this one. Violin is out of place. 3/5
    GIOMH - Not a patch on the Paley version. 2/5
    City Blues - Bloody awful 1/5
    Desert Drive - Throwaway - though nice to hear the band vocals. 2/5
    Friend like you - pretty poor considering. 2/5
    Make a Wish - One of my least favourite Brian songs in any form 1/5
    Rainbow Eyes - Not as spirited sounding as the SI version. 2/5
    SMITC - One of the better and more intereting tracks. 3/5
    Fairytale - some good bits, lazy backing track. 3/5
    DLHKSAA - Could have been better 3/5

Brian's vocals are pretty poor overall - I tend to lean towards 'No Pier Pressure' over this album by some margin.

oldsurferdude and Pants Party like this.
  15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This is one of the better songs on this album, but that isn't saying much. The SI version has a little better back round track, this one like most of this album sounds aimed at the Adult Contemporary audience. 2/5

16. lou

lou Senior Member

I've always found the song to be mediocre MOR, but this version is worse because of the arrangement - the orchestration is way overdone and very un-Brian like. 2/5

smilin ed and TimM like this.
  17. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

One of a few "better ones" on the album. I've actually liked this since my first listening. Nice melody, Brian sings well(on both) and production is kept at bay. Looks like I'm going to be the first to award it with a 4/5.

18. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

There is something about that song, notably the chorus. Shame we don't really have a strong version. Something about it interests/grabs. Guess genius at work, if not at full throttle

19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

One thing you can say about Brian, he could* always come up with melodies like candy and good vocal arrangements; but the execution of those harmonies and the production....he'd kind of lost it.

*maybe still can, but I'm not holding my breath.

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Here's what I wrote before re: ...Angel

Although this version is musically better, not enough to bump it up to a 3.

2/5

smilin ed, oldsurferdude and TimM like this.
  21. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

It has been tough reading so many negative comments for this album. "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" deserves at least a 4/5, 8/10.

lou, smilin ed, Lance LaSalle and 5 others like this.
  22. Wata

Your ratings for Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel:
    1-0 vote
    2-4 votes
    3-5 votes
    4-2 votes
    5-0 vote

23. Wata

Today's song is The Waltz.

24. lou

lou Senior Member

The Waltz - may be the worst triple meter song Brian has ever been involved with. The lyrics are awful although occasionally so bad they're funny. 1/5

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  25. Pants Party

Pants Party One Leg At A Time

Tucked away near the end of the album's bumpy ride, "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" is a gem. Still, it's so easy to overlook and forget. After a lot of "potential," "promise," "almosts" and just plain sloppiness, I'm not in a state to receive what this track actually is. It's nice to take on this track on its own.

Given my full attention, "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" is magic. It has that classic 1965/66 Brian Wilson sense of song-craft and arrangement, with that unequaled originality and genius that makes his best music almost sparkle. It's all there. I can totally hear this coming from the Summer Days or Today! sessions. Maybe a even having been single. If someone told me it originated from then, just never finished or something -- I could totally believe it.

There's also a few flourishes, especially in the intro, that remind me of his late 70's renaissance. There's a hint of that joyful self-reflection and dramatic self-awareness that remind me a bit of his best Love You material. But overall this track feels sourced from that Today! period where Brian was in full control of what he could do with a song.

Overall, I have no problem with a 4/5. I'm could go towards a 5 -- but I don't think anything on this album should be said to be "the best of the best" for obvious reasons. Probably the best piece of music on the album though. For me, I think "Soul Searchin'" comes off a bit better in this album's drab, loose and ramshackled aesthetic -- with the help of Carl Wilson. But this song gets the medal for best realized music. The lyrics at times feel like they're a bit from Brian's slightly sappy late 80's/early 90's period, which I assume they are -- but they're fine. So 4.

Will Harris and Lance LaSalle like this.